Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Uk citizen and Canadian Citizen looking to move to Spain

Uk citizen and Canadian Citizen looking to move to Spain

Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all
Default Uk citizen and Canadian Citizen looking to move to Spain

Hi all, Just looking for some advice. I live in Canada at the moment, I'm a UK citizen married to a canadian citizen, we are thinking of moving to Fuerteventura in the next few years as my Parents live there. The question is how do I go about getting my wife into Spain with me? She has never lived in the uk we have been married about 4 years. What sort of visa do i need and can my wife get UK citizenship even though she has never lived in the UK or would we have to go back the the UK for 3 years so she could apply?

Thanks
Old Jul 21st 2010, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Uk citizen and Canadian Citizen looking to move to Spain

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Hi all, Just looking for some advice. I live in Canada at the moment, I'm a UK citizen married to a canadian citizen, we are thinking of moving to Fuerteventura in the next few years as my Parents live there. The question is how do I go about getting my wife into Spain with me? She has never lived in the uk we have been married about 4 years. What sort of visa do i need and can my wife get UK citizenship even though she has never lived in the UK or would we have to go back the the UK for 3 years so she could apply?

Thanks
I think you are over dramatising the situation .
If you have a UK passport then you by default a citizen of Europe and can live and work anywhere within the EU without let or hinderance. Certainly for UK your wife of 4 years can accompany you to UK and live there with you. Also as an old commonwealth citizen married to a uk citizen she can obtain a UK citizenship relatively easily. That may be the route to take to Fuerteventura.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Uk citizen and Canadian Citizen looking to move to Spain

Under the new residency rules, the family of an EU citizen, living in Spain can apply for residencia cards.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I think you are over dramatising the situation .
If you have a UK passport then you by default a citizen of Europe and can live and work anywhere within the EU without let or hinderance. Certainly for UK your wife of 4 years can accompany you to UK and live there with you. Also as an old commonwealth citizen married to a uk citizen she can obtain a UK citizenship relatively easily. That may be the route to take to Fuerteventura.
Thanks for the info. I know about myself getting in to Europe was no problem. so how do I go about getting my wife UK citizenship if she has not spent the 3 out of 4 years in The uk?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
Under the new residency rules, the family of an EU citizen, living in Spain can apply for residencia cards.
Thats awsome thanks .. so we can just land in spain and get residencia in Furteventura. no need for any visa's for my wife?
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Why not contact the British Embassy and ask, save all the "what ifs" then at least you will have a definitive answer
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 7:05 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
Thats awsome thanks .. so we can just land in spain and get residencia in Furteventura. no need for any visa's for my wife?
As a Canadian citizen, your wife can enter the EU without a visa for a period of 3 months.

As far as I can see from the information available, so long as you sign onto the new register of foreigners as soon as you arrive and your wife also applies for a "non EU family member" residency card you should be fine.

That said, I would be inclined to check with the Spanish Embassy in Canada to make absolutely sure she does not need a visa because if she does it can only be obtained from the Embassy in Canada.

There is a useful leaflet available in English which describes the current system of residency for non EU family members of EU citizens.

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fred James
As a Canadian citizen, your wife can enter the EU without a visa for a period of 3 months.

As far as I can see from the information available, so long as you sign onto the new register of foreigners as soon as you arrive and your wife also applies for a "non EU family member" residency card you should be fine.

That said, I would be inclined to check with the Spanish Embassy in Canada to make absolutely sure she does not need a visa because if she does it can only be obtained from the Embassy in Canada.

There is a useful leaflet available in English which describes the current system of residency for non EU family members of EU citizens.

http://extranjeros.mtas.es/es/Inform...ION_INGLES.pdf
Thanks for the link, It has helped a lot.
cheers