Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trouble at Tesco.

Trouble at Tesco.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble at Tesco.

Originally Posted by HBG
The Tesco scheme was an ill thought out disaster and an example of people power actually achieving something against the odds. I get the feeling that people power will increase during these uncertain times; when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose.

What I can't understand is why the great majority of people in Europe, the UK included, still voted in the Conservatives in recent times. In Spain, did the Indignados vote for Rajoy? Or the unemployed people?

It doesn't make sense.
It does make sense in Spain. The last PP administration (led by Aznar) actually presided over an economy that created jobs and growth. It's PSOE that are associated with creating large numbers on the unemployment tally.
PP may be seen as being corrupt, and having too strong ties to the church, but for an unemployed person they must be seen as the best option for creating jobs. We'll see over the next few years if they again can turn things around.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 6:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I see that a lot of companies have pulled out of the scheme, the forcing the Tesco store to close must have hit home.

I know that it was a protest aimed especifically against this "work experience", but I think something deeper has shocked business owners.

The fact that people power when organised properly is immense.

With communications being the way they are, people can contact masses of others at the touch of a button.

Banks and other big companies can be "forced into action", by the masses.

ie, If people think it is scandalous that a supermaket makes hugh profits and big bonus for the chiefs, but wants to make thousands redundant, they have the power to vote with their feet.

If joe public en masse put forward that nobody shop in Asda or whatever, on Thursday, the shock waves would be felt by all the big supermarkets, because they might be boycotted on Wednesday.

If this type of pressure was actioned, the public would soon have the "biggies" on side, to fight their corner.

Some say its not totally ethical, but in no way is it illegal, nobody can be prosecuted for not buying in a certain store.

Maybe with the state of the country, people power might be a lot more prominent.
that was proven last year in the "riots" in London and certain other cities. It was organised in that alot of people communicated saying they were going and dragged more in along the way. If it was Organised by some individual(s) I am not so sure about, but it has given the police and probably other authorities a big headache sifting thru millions of fone calls to ascertain who went, who organised what.

come a concerted attack by certain groups then by the time they were finished there would be no one able to monitor telecoms - but that may be a good job opportunity, except government jobs are on the decrease until the next time Labour get back in.

terrorist groups had already learnt the lesson - do not use mobile fones excessively, never register a fone, always use a throw away fone for a day and no longer.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:35 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
that was proven last year in the "riots" in London and certain other cities. It was organised in that alot of people communicated saying they were going and dragged more in along the way. If it was Organised by some individual(s) I am not so sure about, but it has given the police and probably other authorities a big headache sifting thru millions of fone calls to ascertain who went, who organised what.

come a concerted attack by certain groups then by the time they were finished there would be no one able to monitor telecoms - but that may be a good job opportunity, except government jobs are on the decrease until the next time Labour get back in.

terrorist groups had already learnt the lesson - do not use mobile fones excessively, never register a fone, always use a throw away fone for a day and no longer.
People were contacted to join in the riots, and the authorities are aware and it is against the law to incite a riot.

With the Tesco fiasco, people, business and- the gov have realised that the public could have big businees by the short and curlies if they wanted.

The spread of the "not buying in Tesco/Texaco etc" is not against the law, and whereas people who would never dream of rioting can join in,preciselyby doing nothing.

The possibilites would be endless, national and local level.

Cuts to elderly care could be reinstated by big companies,with a bit of people pressure applied, I am sure a big comany like one of the petrol giants would "happliy" pay the shortfall with a day or two of no sales at the petrol pumps, and they would have the support of the others petrol giants, including financial, as they would fear the same happening to them.

All this is speculation, but if it getstoo tough for man on the street, who knows.

Not buying for a day or 2, or using the competiton, is a lot safer, warmer, easier than rioting, and they cannot touch your for it......
Old Feb 21st 2012, 8:00 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
People were contacted to join in the riots, and the authorities are aware and it is against the law to incite a riot.

With the Tesco fiasco, people, business and- the gov have realised that the public could have big businees by the short and curlies if they wanted.

The spread of the "not buying in Tesco/Texaco etc" is not against the law, and whereas people who would never dream of rioting can join in,preciselyby doing nothing.

The possibilites would be endless, national and local level.

Cuts to elderly care could be reinstated by big companies,with a bit of people pressure applied, I am sure a big comany like one of the petrol giants would "happliy" pay the shortfall with a day or two of no sales at the petrol pumps, and they would have the support of the others petrol giants, including financial, as they would fear the same happening to them.

All this is speculation, but if it getstoo tough for man on the street, who knows.

Not buying for a day or 2, or using the competiton, is a lot safer, warmer, easier than rioting, and they cannot touch your for it......
as a legal aside, The Riot Act was repealed in 1967, replaced only in bits and pieces by the Criminal Law Act etc. Probably why nowadays the police have great difficulty when dealing with "public disorder". Proclamation of the Riot Act meant anyone continuing would be guilty of a felony - no one seems bothered about that anymore either. But it could give a magistrate the right to call in the Army to suppress the assembly.

however, what you say is right, the public will probably boycott things and places they don't agree with, and Tesco for one has for too long forced its will on the people of the land.
That they, along with petrol companies, will absorb the loss of turnover/profit for a day or so in a couple of locations will make no long term difference. The people will drift back and buy twice as much as before.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Most working people in the Uk talk about the injustice of the lazy workshy people in all areas that neither try or want to work. The government try an implement a plan to encourage such people to get themselves out of bed and for payment they receive their benefit. If they are too idle to do such work the government say you could loose benefit. Then same people that initially said they are sick of paying for people to do nothing start to complain! Whoever or what ever government try and sort out the benefits system in the UK is onto a loser. The scheme does not say you work for nothing it is a back to work scheme where you receive your benefit as payment, can't see anything wrong with that in principle. There are plenty of people young and older doing all they can to earn a living some on very low pay but they do get up and do something rather than just being kept by other workers by benefit. Lets face it the whole thing like the riots last summer has been orchestrated by various left wing groups.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
. Lets face it the whole thing like the riots last summer has been orchestrated by various left wing groups.
Absolute rubbish

The riots last summer were just feckless youths you wanted free pairs of trainers. There was absolutely nothing political about them.

They weren't making a statement they just wanted some free stuff

And the Tesco's thing has nothing to do with that

Lumping all protests and riots together is pretty silly

The protests in Spain over the past year have been political and have been completely peaceful, except when the police come in and start hitting innocent people on the head. The police and establishment are the problems in our countries. The same happened in London, the students have a democratic right to protest over tuition fees, but the police kettle them onto a bridge and keep them there over night. Disgusting behaviour

Last edited by cricketman; Feb 21st 2012 at 10:01 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have your opinion and I'll have mine eh, by the way as a retired cop I doubt they will ever get anywhere near to each others. Have you actually faced a mob that want to kill you? I have both as a cop and a serviceman.

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 21st 2012 at 10:19 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

By the way I do agree with one thing you say many of the kids did just want to get free trainers electrical goods etc, but that doesn't stop them being encouraged to do so!

Last edited by bobd22; Feb 21st 2012 at 10:20 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

. Have you actually face a mob that want to kill you? I have both as a cop and a serviceman.
No I havent

I agree that there are times when it must be scary to be a poilceman, the London riots would have been one of times.

However, there is no way the policeman would have thought the Spanish indignados wanted to kill them. Maybe go on YouTube and look at the police approaching teenage girls and then start beating them up

The police should realise that they work for the people first and foremost. They are meant to be an apolitical group
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Any sort of legal, organized confrontation against the commercial giants who have for years got away with breathtakingly near criminal procedures for advertising and selling is a respectable approach and should be applauded and encouraged......Has the revolution started?

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...ing-bills.html
Old Feb 21st 2012, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

They do and swear to this on joining
" I . . . . . of . . . . . do solemnly and sincerely
declare and affirm that I will well and truly serve the
Queen in the office of constable, with fairness,
integrity, diligence and impartiality, upholding
fundamental human rights and according equal respect to
all people; and that I will, to the best of my power,
cause the peace to be kept and preserved and prevent all
offences against people and property; and that while I
continue to hold the said office I will, to the best of my
skill and knowledge, discharge all the duties thereof
faithfully according to law."

I think the main point is of course in life there are good and bad in all walks of life. Mind please do not use the term I pay your wages!!!! police and servicemen and women are also tax payers
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:24 pm

Most working people in the Uk talk about the injustice of the lazy workshy people in all areas that neither try or want to work. The government try an implement a plan to encourage such people to get themselves out of bed and for payment they receive their benefit. If they are too idle to do such work the government say you could loose benefit. Then same people that initially said they are sick of paying for people to do nothing start to complain! Whoever or what ever government try and sort out the benefits system in the UK is onto a loser. The scheme does not say you work for nothing it is a back to work scheme where you receive your benefit as payment, can't see anything wrong with that in principle. There are plenty of people young and older doing all they can to earn a living some on very low pay but they do get up and do something rather than just being kept by other workers by benefit. Lets face it the whole thing like the riots last summer has been orchestrated by various left wing groups.
Originally Posted by cricketman
Absolute rubbish

The riots last summer were just feckless youths you wanted free pairs of trainers. There was absolutely nothing political about them.

They weren't making a statement they just wanted some free stuff

And the Tesco's thing has nothing to do with that

Lumping all protests and riots together is pretty silly

The protests in Spain over the past year have been political and have been completely peaceful, except when the police come in and start hitting innocent people on the head. The police and establishment are the problems in our countries. The same happened in London, the students have a democratic right to protest over tuition fees, but the police kettle them onto a bridge and keep them there over night. Disgusting behaviour
sorry but I think you are both talking a load of rubbish.

there was a guy shot by the police for what have turned out after investigation to be very tenuous reasons, a couple of days later there was a simple, local, friends and family turnout to protest demonstration at his death - in the belief he had done no wrong.

regrettably a number of people picked up on that Peaceful demonstration and started initially another more demonstration on the back of the first. this was then escalated by certain elements who looted and burned where there was no necessity. Others in various other cities decided to repeat the process, without knowing or understanding the reasons for the original Peaceful protest.

a number of long lived family businesses were put out of business, one having survived the blitz but not firebombing by so called friends. Local supermarkets not on the route of the so called protesters were looted.

there was no reason for the protests, in whichever city, those who took part now admit they didnt know why they were there, or what it was all about. One or two actually took left foot only footwear from displays "because they were there", one person was successfully prosecuted for having a looted tv but was at work at the time, but took it off a looter for a couple of quid.

all in all madness, caught up in the rush of adrenalin they have never experienced before. The London "riots" were entirely different to those of Spain, Italy and Greece. Those may have reasons, London and Birmingham didnt.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry but I think you are both talking a load of rubbish.

there was a guy shot by the police for what have turned out after investigation to be very tenuous reasons, a couple of days later there was a simple, local, friends and family turnout to protest demonstration at his death - in the belief he had done no wrong.

regrettably a number of people picked up on that Peaceful demonstration and started initially another more demonstration on the back of the first. this was then escalated by certain elements who looted and burned where there was no necessity. Others in various other cities decided to repeat the process, without knowing or understanding the reasons for the original Peaceful protest.

a number of long lived family businesses were put out of business, one having survived the blitz but not firebombing by so called friends. Local supermarkets not on the route of the so called protesters were looted.

there was no reason for the protests, in whichever city, those who took part now admit they didnt know why they were there, or what it was all about. One or two actually took left foot only footwear from displays "because they were there", one person was successfully prosecuted for having a looted tv but was at work at the time, but took it off a looter for a couple of quid.

all in all madness, caught up in the rush of adrenalin they have never experienced before. The London "riots" were entirely different to those of Spain, Italy and Greece. Those may have reasons, London and Birmingham didnt.
Which is what I said!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman
Which is what I said!
then you are reading a different version of BE than I and the rest of the world is. See the quote of your posting to see what I mean.

Please, Please, Please
Grow Up, Tell the Truth, Do Not Distort Your Own Words With Every Posting and You Will Get On Better With Everyone.

What did the Apache Chief say to John Wayne ?
Cricket man speak with forked tongue !!
Old Feb 21st 2012, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

then you are reading a different version of BE than I and the rest of the world is. See the quote of your posting to see what I mean.

Please, Please, Please
Grow Up, Tell the Truth, Do Not Distort Your Own Words With Every Posting and You Will Get On Better With Everyone.

What did the Apache Chief say to John Wayne ?
Cricket man speak with forked tongue !!
No, you are confusing riots with demonstrations in your explanation

The riots came off the back of the demonstrations as you said, but actually had nothing to do with them. The riots were caused simply by kids wanting free stuff.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.