Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trouble at Tesco.

Trouble at Tesco.

Old Feb 20th 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trouble at Tesco.

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I don't see anything wrong with people who are claiming benefits being "forced" to take a temporary job in order to gain experience or prevent long term welfare dependency developing, but IMO they should be paid benefits and have them topped up by the firms they are working for to the level of the national minimum wage. It is wrong for huge companies like Tesco or Matalan to increase their profits still further by taking advantage of free labour.

I also dislike the practice of "internships" which have developed in recent years where young people interested in getting into a particular field (and it tends to be the more 'glamourous' stuff like work in the media, fashion, etc) work for free, sometimes for lengthy periods. Not only is this exploitation, it is only young people whose parents can afford to subsidise them whilst they do internships who can do it, so opportunities are denied to talented youngsters from poorer families
Well put. I agree with all of your post, especially the internship point.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Wouldn't it be simpler if we all just live on unemployment benefits? Who wants to get up and go to work in the morning anyway?

Besides, then everybody will get paid the same, and we no longer have the horrible unfair inequality caused by allowing employers to pay people what they can afford to pay for any required skillset.
Anybody who thinks that employers pay people what they can afford to pay is either naive or colluding with the great capitalist conspiracy - they pay as liittle as they can get away with, pay their suppliers as little as they can get away with, and charge as much for their products as they can get away with. In the case of what Tesco and others have been doing they pay nothing at all.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:38 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I must be in the minority here - I see nothing wrong with long-term unemployed (including people who have never worked), gaining work experience and a referee whilst claiming Jobseekers' Allowance for little extra pay. Surely this is a type of training? Those who have never had jobs learn how to structure their day, learn to arrive on time and dressed appropriately, learn how to conduct themselves at work etc. Those who are between jobs will have something to put on their CV from that time rather than nothing. Everybody will have a recent employment referee for when they do apply for a 'proper' job.

I agree that the people undertaking these schemes should not be misled into thinking it is permanent, or that it will definitely lead to a job at Tesco/Matalan when it won't , but otherwise I think the scheme is fine.

My son got a job at Matlan, several years ago through a work trial. It can work.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

jamiest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scampicat
I must be in the minority here - I see nothing wrong with long-term unemployed (including people who have never worked), gaining work experience and a referee whilst claiming Jobseekers' Allowance for little extra pay.
I do. There is no extra pay, they get jsa and possibly 'bus fares' nothing else. For that they are expected to work 30 hours a week. They are subject to sanctions if they don't perform their hours. That's slavery in all but name.

By the same token the scheme is affecting other workers that may have done the job on a full time basis, it denies the opportunity for over time for the existing workers, it means that where Tesco's would have used agency workers for extra labour, now they don't, they let the government supply their extra labour at no cost to themselves. Last, but not least, it adds to the dividends of this obscenely rich company that seems hell bent on taking over the entire British High Street.

If one good thing could come out of this nasty episode then let it be the decline and fall of the supermarket giant that despoils every area it settles in.

Every little helps? Every little sale only helps Tesco build more stores and push traditional retailers to the breadline.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:52 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I see that a lot of companies have pulled out of the scheme, the forcing the Tesco store to close must have hit home.

I know that it was a protest aimed especifically against this "work experience", but I think something deeper has shocked business owners.

The fact that people power when organised properly is immense.

With communications being the way they are, people can contact masses of others at the touch of a button.

Banks and other big companies can be "forced into action", by the masses.

ie, If people think it is scandalous that a supermaket makes hugh profits and big bonus for the chiefs, but wants to make thousands redundant, they have the power to vote with their feet.

If joe public en masse put forward that nobody shop in Asda or whatever, on Thursday, the shock waves would be felt by all the big supermarkets, because they might be boycotted on Wednesday.

If this type of pressure was actioned, the public would soon have the "biggies" on side, to fight their corner.

Some say its not totally ethical, but in no way is it illegal, nobody can be prosecuted for not buying in a certain store.

Maybe with the state of the country, people power might be a lot more prominent.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Maybe with the state of the country, people power might be a lot more prominent.
Here's hoping

Only by people protesting and boycotting products can you get fairer and more ethical companies.

Almost all companies now monitor the internet for bad publicity, so if you dont like what a company is doing, put it on their Facebook page, and if they remove your post, do it again. They cant keep removing you as long as you are not being abusive

I feel we are entering a phase where companies are going to be more important than governments - or maybe I'm 20 years out of date so use your democratic rights!
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:21 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Here's hoping

Only by people protesting and boycotting products can you get fairer and more ethical companies.

Almost all companies now monitor the internet for bad publicity, so if you dont like what a company is doing, put it on their Facebook page, and if they remove your post, do it again. They cant keep removing you as long as you are not being abusive

I feel we are entering a phase where companies are going to be more important than governments - or maybe I'm 20 years out of date so use your democratic rights!
Holding the big companies to ransom, so to speak, although drastic, I think will become more prominent in political situations too.

If people are against garment manufacturing being located overseas, then if everyone bought from the competition they would soon bring the plant back to the UK.

Also it would also stop others from relocating as they know that they will get the same treatment.

It would take good organisation, not from hotheads, but done in a organised, peaceful way.

so beware, the "profit at all cost" companies, the peasants are revolting maybe
Old Feb 20th 2012, 5:37 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamiest
I do.[B] There is no extra pay, they get jsa and possibly 'bus fares' nothing else. For that they are expected to work 30 hours a week. They are subject to sanctions if they don't perform their hours. That's slavery in all but name. [/B]They still have their Jobseekers' Allowance, their rent paid, their Council tax paid, travel expenses and are getting work experience. I

By the same token the scheme is affecting other workers that may have done the job on a full time basis, it denies the opportunity for over time for the existing workers, it means that where Tesco's would have used agency workers for extra labour, now they don't, they let the government supply their extra labour at no cost to themselves. Last, but not least, it adds to the dividends of this obscenely rich company that seems hell bent on taking over the entire British High Street. This is incorrect AFAIK. If the unemployed did not do the work, no one would. They are not taking work off anyone.

If one good thing could come out of this nasty episode then let it be the decline and fall of the supermarket giant that despoils every area it settles in. You want yet another high street name to fail and add yet more to the unemployed?

Every little helps? Every little sale only helps Tesco build more stores and push traditional retailers to the breadline.
Please see my comments in blue above. I must add, I hold no brief for Tesco, I never shop there, and my son works at Morrisons! I just think if you are long-term umemployed it is better to do something rather than nothing. better for your self-esteem,. your future job prospects and general long-term outlook.

I saw my son do loads of voluntary work when he was unemployed. It stopped him getting depressed and feeling useless and eventually led to a job. He said he would do so again if unemployed. He also said that in his opinion those who didn't want to do it were the ones who thought they were too good to stack shelves- which is very insulting to those who stack shelves for a living.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Holding the big companies to ransom, so to speak, although drastic, I think will become more prominent in political situations too.

If people are against garment manufacturing being located overseas, then if everyone bought from the competition they would soon bring the plant back to the UK.

Also it would also stop others from relocating as they know that they will get the same treatment.

It would take good organisation, not from hotheads, but done in a organised, peaceful way.

so beware, the "profit at all cost" companies, the peasants are revolting maybe
Anyone remember the song "A Change is Gonna Come" most memorably sung by Sam Cooke? It's been a long time coming, as the song says. I hope I live to see it.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

I'm retired from a 'job' but still generate income and a fare wad of tax annually. If a person is sent for work experience then they should go. I'm not happy about folk sitting on their bums and moaning about how tough life is so lets get them off their bums and earn their benefit; nowt wrong in that. A few weeks a year in exchange for a few grand seems a good deal to me.

If they go back to school they may do a course actually worth something instead of the likes of Sports Science or Media Studies.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:12 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bob_bob
I'm retired from a 'job' but still generate income and a fare wad of tax annually. If a person is sent for work experience then they should go. I'm not happy about folk sitting on their bums and moaning about how tough life is so lets get them off their bums and earn their benefit; nowt wrong in that. A few weeks a year in exchange for a few grand seems a good deal to me.

If they go back to school they may do a course actually worth something instead of the likes of Sports Science or Media Studies.
I dont think many folk will disagree with you about being made to do something for their money.

But where it comes unstuck for me, is giving big companies free labour on a permanent basis.

Benefit is paid by the state, so rightfully it should be the state that benefits from the work,and not a milti million pound business.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
Please see my comments in blue above. I must add, I hold no brief for Tesco, I never shop there, and my son works at Morrisons! I just think if you are long-term umemployed it is better to do something rather than nothing. better for your self-esteem,. your future job prospects and general long-term outlook.

I saw my son do loads of voluntary work when he was unemployed. It stopped him getting depressed and feeling useless and eventually led to a job. He said he would do so again if unemployed. He also said that in his opinion those who didn't want to do it were the ones who thought they were too good to stack shelves- which is very insulting to those who stack shelves for a living.
Voluntary work means just that.
It's not there for the unemployed to be taken advantage of by Tesco or whoever.
There's are a big difference between work experience and having the piss taken out of you.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:15 pm
Banned

Has anyone been watching the news and seen the students in Valencia, there has been 14 arrested, and some injured.

The students want things sorted or they say there will be more protest marches.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:31 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The Tesco scheme was an ill thought out disaster and an example of people power actually achieving something against the odds. I get the feeling that people power will increase during these uncertain times; when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose.

What I can't understand is why the great majority of people in Europe, the UK included, still voted in the Conservatives in recent times. In Spain, did the Indignados vote for Rajoy? Or the unemployed people?

It doesn't make sense.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 7:36 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The Tesco scheme was an ill thought out disaster and an example of people power actually achieving something against the odds. I get the feeling that people power will increase during these uncertain times; when you've got nothing, you've got nothing to lose.

What I can't understand is why the great majority of people in Europe, the UK included, still voted in the Conservatives in recent times. In Spain, did the Indignados vote for Rajoy? Or the unemployed people?

It doesn't make sense.
Whenever the shit hits the fan, the British people always vote Conservative. We are all a conservative people in nature and when we are in trouble we look for some reassurance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.