Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Treatment under EHIC?

Treatment under EHIC?

Old May 28th 2018, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Treatment under EHIC?

The EHIC provides for treatment for chronic conditions while in Spain eg chemotherapy and dialysis etc.
Has anyone arranged to have chemo under these rules and if so how do you go about arranging it?
Old May 28th 2018, 9:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Treatment under EHIC?

Luckily I have no experience of either, but I would have thought that the starting point is to talk to the people who currently administer the treatment as I would expect that they would need to be involved anyway.
Old May 28th 2018, 10:06 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

If you are using an EHIC you are by definition on a short visit, i could be wrong but i would have thought they would tell you to go home. Dialysis is definiteky a normally covered thing as its ongoing lifelong needed by visitors but chemo isnt a lifelong chronic treatment ?

Practically chemo is i thought a few nasty hospital visits followed by feeling aweful for a while and needing possibly GP help with side effects, and of course its often linked to radiotherapy. So - you might be able to be treated in the uk and convalesce abroad?
Old May 28th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
If you are using an EHIC you are by definition on a short visit, i could be wrong but i would have thought they would tell you to go home. Dialysis is definiteky a normally covered thing as its ongoing lifelong needed by visitors but chemo isnt a lifelong chronic treatment ?

Practically chemo is i thought a few nasty hospital visits followed by feeling aweful for a while and needing possibly GP help with side effects, and of course its often linked to radiotherapy. So - you might be able to be treated in the uk and convalesce abroad?
The EHIC info specifically mentions Chemotherapy as one of the conditions covered. If one was already on a chemo programme and wanted to spend time in Spain (and BTW there is no definition of temporary) then the treatment can be carried out in the EU under EHIC. I was just hoping that someone could help with the proceedure.
Old May 28th 2018, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

The EHIC is not just for short visits. It is for temporary visits and these can last up to 90 days or more. As long as it is temporary and legal
Old May 28th 2018, 12:32 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cermignano
The EHIC is not just for short visits. It is for temporary visits and these can last up to 90 days or more. As long as it is temporary and legal
But what does it cover? I can't see how chemotherapy can be considered 'emergency' treatment.

The NHS site states -

This includes treatment of a chronic or pre-existing medical condition that becomes necessary during your visit.

The card also covers routine medical care for people with pre-existing conditions that need monitoring.
Old May 28th 2018, 12:42 pm

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t know hf the OP is actually after something the NHS has said no to, but there are known parallels that are tested and excluded. EG people have tried to get operations like hips and frozen shoulders abroad following some injury and they are stabilised, but told to go home for longer term treatment.
Old May 28th 2018, 1:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

See here

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/healthca...itors-to-spain
Old May 28th 2018, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Two examples.
1) A few years ago, son reported to hospital in Majorca, presented his EHIC complaining of a painful arm. Given an x-ray and told it was a hairline fracture, keep it in a sling and go to hospital on his return to the uk.
2) I know of someone who lives not far from me. Been here for a couple of years, never bothered registering. Went to the local health centre, EHIC in hand, to see a doctor. Diagnosis was cancer and in short order an operation was scheduled. This was carried out and deemed a success and a course of chemotherapy is now ongoing.
Take from this what you will.
Old May 28th 2018, 4:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose the last example would depend upon at what stage the cancer was when diagnosed? Was it safe to delay or safe to return? I would imagine it also depends on which hospital or doctor one initially attends for diagnosdiagnosis.
Re initial question I don't know about chemo but certainly for dialysis then I have personal knowledge of people that have done this under the EHIC. The UK hospital that treats them sort out the overseas dialysis etc it also included transport to and from the hospital to accommodation overseas. The UK hospitals have dedicated people to deal and assist with such things including the need to say visit relatives in other areas of the UK etc. I would suggest OP seeks advice and how to arrange at the hospital in UK treating the patient
Old May 28th 2018, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
I don’t know hf the OP is actually after something the NHS has said no to, but there are known parallels that are tested and excluded. EG people have tried to get operations like hips and frozen shoulders abroad following some injury and they are stabilised, but told to go home for longer term treatment.
Not quite the same as cancer! I am aware of the procedure and forms needed to seek new medical treatment and this is not the case. I am also reasonably clear on what is available I am specifically asking HOW. Of course I am aware that the UK team need to be involved but how does one identify and contact the Spanish end. I have seen posts about dialysis which seems to require a DIY approach and some which suggest that it can all be organised by the UK hospital. I was hoping for some personal experience rather than guesswork ☺
Old May 28th 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Not quite the same as cancer! I am aware of the procedure and forms needed to seek new medical treatment and this is not the case. I am also reasonably clear on what is available I am specifically asking HOW. Of course I am aware that the UK team need to be involved but how does one identify and contact the Spanish end. I have seen posts about dialysis which seems to require a DIY approach and some which suggest that it can all be organised by the UK hospital. I was hoping for some personal experience rather than guesswork ☺
By the NHS saying no, i meant that the NHS will use its soecified chemo psthways and thise will alter if several ‘goes’ are needed, and not all chemo drugs are available, some are exceedingly expensive after all.

Re dialysis, i had a little brush with someone wanting to holiday in the caribbean, which was achieved though they had to pay for it [free under ehic which interestingly would have covered her in the french departmente caribbean islands]. The patient pretty much has to find somewhere that has the capacity/will to do the dialysis, but then their uk hospital will happily liase with the foreign hospital to provide parameters required etc.
Old May 29th 2018, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I have seen posts about dialysis which seems to require a DIY approach and some which suggest that it can all be organised by the UK hospital. I was hoping for some personal experience rather than guesswork ☺
Mike I have not personally done this myself but do have first hand knowledge from people that have done this in relation to dialysis treatment for holidays within the EU. Everything was set up in the UK by the Dialysis liaison teams at the main dialysis unit they receive treatment in the UK. This included both arranging a unit for treatment at their chosen destination, transport to and from the unit, suitable accommodation obviously paid for by the patient. As far as I am aware the patient arranged their own flights etc but liaison team did where necessary make any changes required at the UK end to ensure their treatment fitted in with flights etc. The whole thing seemed to work very well and I know people that did this a number of times and never had any issues or complaints. In fact they commented on how good both the accommodation and treatment centres were, they were mainly treated on private rather than public facilities but at no cost to them other than flights and accommodation.

Last edited by Rosemary; May 29th 2018 at 11:53 am. Reason: corrected quote