Reload this Page >

Traveling around Spain.

Traveling around Spain.

Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling around Spain.

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I've travelled around Spain several times in April and May, always relying on hostals and never prebooking.
Most of them have been of a very reasonable standard and usually, but not always, with the added bonus of a bar and evening meal normally served up from 8pm onwards.

As has been stated leave sufficient time to find something by looking around from late afternoon at the latest.

ALWAYS CHECK THE ROOM OUT FIRST before agreeing to stay, because I can recall a couple of occasions when I walked away because the accomodation was not up to the mark.
For instance I recall one grubby joint which had the toilet plumbed in right next to the bed with a bit of tatty old curtain around it.
Maybe useful under certain circumstances, but not for me.

During your travels you will come across places under the heading of rural tourism, OK , but usually quite expensive.

In any event quite a lot of the hostals are located in pleasant rural areas.

Great tips....thanks for the info.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Must confess to only ever having stayed in a hostal/pension once, in Granada. If you want to visit the Alhambra, you could do worse than stay here, it's at the bottom of the hill, about 5-10 mins from the center of town.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 10:47 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Just a little bit I added/edited to my previous post which may not have been spotted,....

"The problem with prebooking is that you could be limited to a fairly strict schedule but there are always instances when you fancy driving away from a pre planned route for one reason or another.
By far the most fascinating places I came across, were purely by chance, usually way off the beaten track and unlikely to be found in any tourist guide book and therefore could probably not be preplanned."
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:25 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Just a little bit I added/edited to my previous post which may not have been spotted,....

"The problem with prebooking is that you could be limited to a fairly strict schedule but there are always instances when you fancy driving away from a pre planned route for one reason or another.
By far the most fascinating places I came across, were purely by chance, usually way off the beaten track and unlikely to be found in any tourist guide book and therefore could probably not be preplanned."

I agree. I don't want to pre book.... i may not like the look of one town and then in another town I may like it so much that i might want to stay a number of days! Also agree about the tourist guide books. One year we travelled through the Bordeaux region of France and went to many of the recommended places in Lonely Planet.....all disappointing. Some of the nicest places we found were by chance.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 11:27 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by agoreira
Must confess to only ever having stayed in a hostal/pension once, in Granada. If you want to visit the Alhambra, you could do worse than stay here, it's at the bottom of the hill, about 5-10 mins from the center of town.

Thanks for the info. I'll have all of this info when I go to Spain.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragon5254
Thanks Lynn
I really do appreciate all of this information. The Hostal way certainly seems like a cheap and fun option. I'm really looking forward to the trip now.
They often ask if you want breakfast as well, for which there is a charge that is on average €6-7 per person. And we're not talking full English either!
Cheaper to go to a bar where you can get coffee & a croissant for around €2.50.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 8:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
They often ask if you want breakfast as well, for which there is a charge that is on average €6-7 per person. And we're not talking full English either!
Cheaper to go to a bar where you can get coffee & a croissant for around €2.50.
Good point, though on the other hand I've usually found the evening meals in hostals to be quite good value, in addition to not having to go back out searching around in remote places where alternative choice can be limited or sometimes non-existant.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

The tourist office will have a list of accommodation. Most towns have an office and a comprehensive web-site.
I have stayed in one hostal on numerous occasions and it was fine. Some of the lower rated hotels are no more expensive and there are also Pensions (B&B's).
You may also consider camping sites as many have chalets that may be available on a nightly basis out of high season.

Last edited by johnnyone; Apr 8th 2012 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to allEmilyPenguin is a name known to all

Hello!

There is a cheap place in Estepona http://www.pensionlasbrisas.com/ if your in that area, right near the pedestrian street, there is also a lovely bar called Tolone, that welcomes travlers and are amazing people in there if your looking for help on were to go in the town, Also can find some good conversation there. .. May fair is also on in Estepona around that time, First week of May normaly, might be something you would want to see There is a bigger and better one in July though.. I hope you enjoy your time travling! Happy journy hehe
Old Apr 8th 2012, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

Thanks everyone for all of your comments and suggestions. Valuable stuff!