Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Traveling around Spain.

Traveling around Spain.

Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:14 pm
Account Closed

dragon5254 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Traveling around Spain.

I'm thinking about traveling by car around the South of Spain mid May. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to find cheap accommodation this time of the year and if so, how do I go about finding it when I arrive in the many towns that I wish to visit? Do I go to the local tourist office or is there another way?
Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:38 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Traveling around Spain.

Hi

Whenever I travel to "unknown" places I look for signs to Hostals as they are clean and cheap. I realise that ladies my have concerns but I have found them to be OK, and I have stayed in many all over Spain.

I forsee no problems in May - July / August maybe - I start looking when I reach my destination or before it gets dark as a general rule. If you take a computer then Google is your friend in a Wi-Fi area

Davexf
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Dxf.
There will be two of us traveling - male and female so I'm not concerned about safety. Just want something clean and reasonably priced. I assume that Hostels means a room of your own.....not like the old youth hostals where you shared a dorm!!!!
How much can I expect to pay per night??
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Probably worth buying a 'Rough Guide'. Is there a similar Spanish version I wonder? Anyhow, it's sounds like fun. Buen viaje!
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dragon5254
Thanks Dxf.
There will be two of us traveling - male and female so I'm not concerned about safety. Just want something clean and reasonably priced. I assume that Hostels means a room of your own.....not like the old youth hostals where you shared a dorm!!!!
How much can I expect to pay per night??
A Hostal is like a cheap hotel or guest house. They can vary from very nice to seedy. But usually are cheap and clean and usually have their own bar or one very close.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of assistance or not, when I do this I take my laptop, find a Mcdonalds or a Wifi zone and book through wikipedia or similar site, this proved to be a lot cheaper than the hotel itself, and I have stayed in some lovely places.

regards
al
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:00 pm
Account Closed

Thanks.
I will have a computer with me so that will be a bonus. I was just worried about being stranded in a far off place with nowhere to stay.
The Hostel idea sounds good - especially if they have bars as well!! And I'm assuming that you can book hostels on line too.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:16 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Here are three good places to find very affordable (read: cheap but good) private accommodation in Spain and around the world:

9flats.com

AirBnB.com

Roomorama.com

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 6th 2012 at 5:26 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I will have a computer with me so that will be a bonus. I was just worried about being stranded in a far off place with nowhere to stay.
The Hostel idea sounds good - especially if they have bars as well!! And I'm assuming that you can book hostels on line too.
I'm not sure if you can book Hostals on line. But remember it's spelt with an 'a' otherwise you'll have a hard time asking around for the nearest one.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:30 pm
Account Closed

From your comments, it would seem that there are lots of options re accommodation, and not a big problem if I just turn up somewhere after a day of traveling. Hopefully, I'll get to see some lovely places that are not too touristy and I won't be paying a fortune for a bed for the night! Thanks.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:39 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've booked hostales online on occasion when travelling to Madrid, but I wouldn't recommend it elsewhere. A lot of these places are like the b&bs - you may get an up-to-date couple running the place, but equally you may get an old widow(er) who rarely checks the email. If you're worried about quality, bear in mind there is an official star system. If you get a 3 star hostal, it'll be better than some cheap hotels.
To be honest, if you arrive in a small town say at 5 or 7 o'clock, you may find it easier/quicker to enter the local cafe-bar for a coffee or beer, and ask around. Quite often someone will know someone related to a hostal owner, and will be only too willing to show you where it is (after much airing of opinions amongst the regulars). Well that's been my experience when travelling around new places in Spain, the Spanish will often show you where a place is by accompanying you to that spot.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

:thumbup
Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I've booked hostales online on occasion when travelling to Madrid, but I wouldn't recommend it elsewhere. A lot of these places are like the b&bs - you may get an up-to-date couple running the place, but equally you may get an old widow(er) who rarely checks the email. If you're worried about quality, bear in mind there is an official star system. If you get a 3 star hostal, it'll be better than some cheap hotels.
To be honest, if you arrive in a small town say at 5 or 7 o'clock, you may find it easier/quicker to enter the local cafe-bar for a coffee or beer, and ask around. Quite often someone will know someone related to a hostal owner, and will be only too willing to show you where it is (after much airing of opinions amongst the regulars). Well that's been my experience when travelling around new places in Spain, the Spanish will often show you where a place is by accompanying you to that spot.

Thanks for that info....this trip is sounding more interesting by the minute!
I'll certainly keep in mind the star system and the local bar sounds like a great idea.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
I'm not sure if you can book Hostals on line. But remember it's spelt with an 'a' otherwise you'll have a hard time asking around for the nearest one.
You could try www.hostelbookers.com - www.booking.com also has some available, if you sort the search results by price they are easier to find.

I stayed in one for the first time in Valencia and was very pleasantly surprised. The room (ensuite) was 38€ per night and I've had worse accommodation in 3 star hotels. That one was called Dormavalencia. No breakfast served, but there was a bar next door but one which served excellent coffee and toast for 2€. Also many of these places don't have a receptionist on duty 24 hours so you often have to check in before a certain time, you will get a key to the entrance door for the duration of your stay.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about traveling by car around the South of Spain mid May. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to find cheap accommodation this time of the year and if so, how do I go about finding it when I arrive in the many towns that I wish to visit? Do I go to the local tourist office or is there another way?
Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you.

I've travelled around Spain several times in April and May, always relying on hostals and never prebooking.
Most of them have been of a very reasonable standard and usually, but not always, with the added bonus of a bar and evening meal normally served up from 8pm onwards.

As has been stated leave sufficient time to find something by looking around from late afternoon at the latest.

The problem with prebooking is that you are limited to a strict schedule and there are always instances when you fancy driving away from a pre planned route for one reason or another.
By far the most fascinating places I came across were purely by chance, way off the beaten track and very unlikely to be found in any tourist guide book.

ALWAYS CHECK THE ROOM OUT FIRST before agreeing to stay, because I can recall a couple of occasions when I walked away because the accomodation was not up to the mark.
For instance I recall one grubby joint which had the toilet plumbed in right next to the bed with a bit of tatty old curtain around it.
Maybe useful under certain circumstances, but not for me.

During your travels you will come across places under the heading of rural tourism, OK , but usually quite expensive.

In any event quite a lot of the hostals are located in pleasant rural areas.

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 6th 2012 at 7:19 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

Thanks Lynn
I really do appreciate all of this information. The Hostal way certainly seems like a cheap and fun option. I'm really looking forward to the trip now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.