Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

translation question (sobran)

translation question (sobran)

Old Apr 25th 2010, 10:59 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default translation question (sobran)

What would be a good translation of "Nos sobran los Motivos" (a song by Jaquin Sabina) ? The possibilities so far include "There are plenty of reasons" or "we don't lack an excuse" but I'm still not happy. I find this verb "sobrar" to be difficult to translate, but maybe it's just me..
Old Apr 25th 2010, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: translation question (sobran)

We have too many reasons, we have more than enough reasons, we have plenty of reasons? Agree, sobrar is not the easiest. Probably ask ten different translators and get ten different replies!

Edit. Just put it into an online translator and got "The Reasons exceed to us " and "The motives remain us" ;-)

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 25th 2010 at 12:00 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:02 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
What would be a good translation of "Nos sobran los Motivos" (a song by Jaquin Sabina) ? The possibilities so far include "There are plenty of reasons" or "we don't lack an excuse" but I'm still not happy. I find this verb "sobrar" to be difficult to translate, but maybe it's just me..
Play this vid in reverse

Last edited by jdr; Apr 25th 2010 at 1:07 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

It's always difficult to translate songs or poems and although 'we have plenty of reasons' is probably the best literal translation, I might be tempted to try 'we need no reasons'. It would help to know the next line in the song.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:51 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe

As it is the words of a song you are trying to translate, and this thread has shown that there are many options.

The best translation would be the one that fits in with the rythum of the song, so sometimes the meaning has to be changed a bit, to keep in time.

So maybe try the translation with the same number or nearly the same number of syllabals as the Spanish lyrics.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
As it is the words of a song you are trying to translate, and this thread has shown that there are many options.

The best translation would be the one that fits in with the rythum of the song, so sometimes the meaning has to be changed a bit, to keep in time.

So maybe try the translation with the same number or nearly the same number of syllabals as the Spanish lyrics.
In that case ' we have plenty of reasons' should do the trick
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't sobremesa = leftovers?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:32 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
leftovers are sobras
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Where did that come from? Leftovers, that's "sobras" isn't it? I think of sobremesa as that period after lunch, the afternoon, programas de sobremesa, afternoon TV programmes. We'll await the experts!

Edit. I see an expert has already beaten me to it!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:41 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Where did that come from? Leftovers, that's "sobras" isn't it? I think of sobremesa as that period after lunch, the afternoon, programas de sobremesa, afternoon TV programmes. We'll await the experts!

Edit. I see an expert has already beaten me to it!
Very good explanation, go to the top of the class, have a house point, and you can be pencil monitor for a week.

We also call some kinds of left overs "ropa vieja"

I can understand why coz most of my wifes cooking tastes like boiled socks..
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Very good explanation, go to the top of the class, have a house point, and you can be pencil monitor for a week.
I can remember being milk monitor! Talking of class, my Spanish was cancelled last week as my little Spanish teacher was stuck in Valladolid and couldn't get back. She made it a few days ago after a 29 hour trip via Paris and London. ¡vaya odisea!
Old Apr 26th 2010, 8:55 pm
Banned

Does anyone know what the name of the flower is that is called la suegra y las nueras.

It has 3 or 4 heads on a stem and they all face outwards.

I have seen them in a flame colour.

I have no idea what they are called in English, and do these flowers die after one season?

Will they grow OK in a pot?

Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Does anyone know what the name of the flower is that is called la suegra y las nueras.
Never heard of it, tbh, but looked it up and seems it is a amarylis. That will grow in a pot.
http://plantas.facilisimo.com/foros/...ra_263540.html
Old Apr 26th 2010, 9:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by agoreira
Never heard of it, tbh, but looked it up and seems it is a amarylis. That will grow in a pot.
http://plantas.facilisimo.com/foros/...ra_263540.html
Yep, thanks that looks like the one, I had no idea of the name of it, and am not really a gardner, but I like the look of them.

It is called the suegra and las nueras because, they cannot stand to look at eachother (the flower heads face in opposing direction
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:03 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, thanks that looks like the one, I had no idea of the name of it, and am not really a gardner, but I like the look of them.

It is called the suegra and las nueras because, they cannot stand to look at eachother (the flower heads face in opposing direction
I love the weed they call suegras. It colours the fields with huge swathes of purple blue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.