Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money to Spain

Transferring Money to Spain

Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Transferring Money to Spain

I may need to transfer a few thousand euros from my Santander UK account to my CAM account. I do online banking with Santander. and was under the (perhaps nieve) impression that I could set up a one - off transfer online. However I now discover that I either have to visit my branch in the UK, or send a fax (with copies of passport,etc etc etc) or post a letter (again with copies of passport etc). Is there an easier/quicker way that can be set up on line? I am not happy sending sensitive information in a fax or by post.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transferring Money to Spain

Originally Posted by petew
I may need to transfer a few thousand euros from my Santander UK account to my CAM account. I do online banking with Santander. and was under the (perhaps nieve) impression that I could set up a one - off transfer online. However I now discover that I either have to visit my branch in the UK, or send a fax (with copies of passport,etc etc etc) or post a letter (again with copies of passport etc). Is there an easier/quicker way that can be set up on line? I am not happy sending sensitive information in a fax or by post.
I also thought that you could send a one off payment. How did you discover that you need to deal with the branch etc?

Rosemary
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I also thought that you could send a one off payment. How did you discover that you need to deal with the branch etc?

Rosemary
I sent them an e mail and that's the reply I got. I'm glad I'm not the only one who was under that mistaken impression.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

walkthetalk is an unknown quantity at this point

Having worked for Santander/Abbey, I can tell you now that their systems before I left were not integrated (unbelievable?) with Spain but, were modelled on them. That may have changed now but, in my experience as an international expat, despite them both pulling out of Russia where I currently live - HSBC and Barclays Offshore banking both had connectivity and reliability with their UK counterparts, offered £$€ accounts and a decent team behind it.

My advice is consider your options. If these branches are local and you know of them - go speak with them.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Oh and they have an absolutely strict policy at Santander UK with the risk and control demanding to see the customer face to face with ID etc. (KYC documents).

Unfortunately it is just not so helpful.

and FYI - I use Standard Bank Offshore but, once again - you need to use a company that is suitable to your circumstances and Santander is great for UK customers but useless when you leave the shoreline.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:36 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to make a payment to my LTSB current acct from Halifax savings - no chance, and they are in the same group. As I was in UK at the time had to go to branch, draw out cash and cross the street and pay cash into acct.

Grumpy old man had nothing on me that afternoon - all I got was platitudes and promises they were working on it.

:thumb down:
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:40 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

If you use a money broker then there should not be a problem - I do this quite frequently. (You may even get a better rate that way).
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
I tried to make a payment to my LTSB current acct from Halifax savings - no chance, and they are in the same group. As I was in UK at the time had to go to branch, draw out cash and cross the street and pay cash into acct.

Grumpy old man had nothing on me that afternoon - all I got was platitudes and promises they were working on it.

:thumb down:
Unfortunately though it's the poor monkeys in the branch who get the grief while the top cats steer clear and enjoy their money.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If you use a money broker then there should not be a problem - I do this quite frequently. (You may even get a better rate that way).
Who do you use if I may ask here? My clients may benefit from this too. Can never pretend you know everything
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:50 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walkthetalk
Who do you use if I may ask here? My clients may benefit from this too. Can never pretend you know everything
The main ones are HIFX, ITT Moneycorp and Currencies Direct
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

thank you - gonna look into them. Honestly never seen them before.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:56 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

... World First are VERY good as are Foreign Currencies Direct
Old Jun 17th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Just signed up with HiFX.
Seems to be one of the best. I tried Santander and they told me that I could withdraw cash from their machines in Spain, provided that I deposited £1000 per month into a current account, or be charged £25 per transfer ( they would not state rate but it would NOT be BoE)
Pete.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

EllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond reputeEllisG has a reputation beyond repute

i use moneycorp...great service and much better rate than I used to get from a bank. Used to have to fax the bank each transaction, with moneycorp I just pick up the phone once the account is set up.
Old Jun 17th 2011, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EllisG
i use moneycorp...great service and much better rate than I used to get from a bank. Used to have to fax the bank each transaction, with moneycorp I just pick up the phone once the account is set up.
So from the consensus here and my insider knowledge (although 2years old), don't use Santander - look at one of these companies.

Oh... the things I have seen behind the scenes....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.