Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

trains- Alicante Madrid

trains- Alicante Madrid

Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

mofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the rough
Default trains- Alicante Madrid

I want to book train seats from Alicante to Madrid. When I look on the web sites it is not clear which train I need or how to go about booking them. There are English sites but you have to pay in pounds and I want to pay in euros. My spanish is OK but I prefer to do something like this in English. Also if someone can reccommend a cheap hotel that is OK for a couple of nights. There will be 3 of us going in August (not ideal but cant do any other time)
Thanks in advance
Maureen
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: trains- Alicante Madrid

Originally Posted by mofieldhouse
I want to book train seats from Alicante to Madrid. When I look on the web sites it is not clear which train I need or how to go about booking them. There are English sites but you have to pay in pounds and I want to pay in euros. My spanish is OK but I prefer to do something like this in English. Also if someone can reccommend a cheap hotel that is OK for a couple of nights. There will be 3 of us going in August (not ideal but cant do any other time)
Thanks in advance
Maureen
the Renfe.es site is in English and you pay in Euro's

you can pay at the station aswell, very unlikely to be much difference in price, you generaly geta selection of 4 types of train

start here http://horarios.renfe.es/hir/ingles.html
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

The Renfe website is being changed continuously so if anything has change since this was done just persevere!
1.Go to http://www.renfe.es/.
2. On the bottom left hand side, there is a box that says: “Seleccione su idioma” (Select your language). Click on English.
3.On the upper right hand side, click on “Buy Tickets”.
4.Select origin: *. There are cities with an asterisk after the city name, and this means that city has more than one station.
5.Select destination:
6.Choose the date on the calendar.
7.Choose Number of Passengers;
8.Press Search.
9.On the next screen (Availability), you will find a list of fares and times of trains. Sometimes for cheaper fares, you have to choose a more inconvenient time. This is the nominal price and not the final price because you can find the final price only on the next page. There is a column called “Tarifas Promo”, which means the promotional fares available. These seats are limited. The star symbols means the Estrella fare with a 40% discount. The W symbols means the Web fare with a 60% discount. Check the tourist class circle. If the Tarifas Promo column has no symbols, that means that all the promotional fare seats have been sold out for that date. You may then want to look for a different date.
10. At the bottom of the page, one finds “Write the characters you see in the next image.” - Write them in the box.
11.Check the lower right hand side box Continue.
12.You reach the Form of Payment page.
13.Go to the Fare box and choose Web. The price should now a bit lower. This is the meaning of the different fares:
a.Carnet Joven - Youth Card - 25% discount.
b.Web - 60% discount (bought 15 or more days before trip).
c. Niño - Child - 40% discount.
d. Tarjeta Dorada - Gold Card for over 65 years old and Spanish citizen - 40% discount.
e.Estrella - 40% discount (bought between 7 - 15 days before trip).
f.General - No discount.
13.Fill in all of the fields that have an asterisk, as they are mandatory.
14.Purchaser’s details:
Name - Your first name.
First Surname - Your last name.
Second Surname - Leave blank.
15.For Type of Document: Check the appropriate ID you are going to use.
16. Check the “I have read and accept the General Conditions for Passengers box.
17. Fill in the Credit/Debit Card information.
18. Press the Purchase button.
19.You will then go to the Ticket page to complete your purchase.
20.You will get an email in PDF format with the tickets, which you need to print. With this you can go to the gate directly when you go to the station and use the ticket to board. The ticket should have the barcode on it. Some trains have a security checkpoint, similar to the one in airports. Go to the station half an hour before your train leaves if this is the case.
21.The Tarifas page is only in Spanish. Here is the explanation in English: (in case those who read this do not read Spanish).
A. Tarifa Web - You get a 60% discount if you buy your ticket on the web 15 days or more before the date you travel.
B. Tarifa Estrella - You get a 40% discount if you buy your ticket on the web at least 7 days before you travel.
C. Tarifa Ida y Vuelta - You get a 20% discount if you buy round trip tickets. The date of return should be 60 days or less after the date of your first trip.
22.The website allows you to buy tickets 62 days in advance of your trip for the AVE. For AVANT trips, or shorter trips, you may not be able to buy the tickets online until 15 days within your desired date of departure.
23. If you want to go round trip, you should do two trips instead of asking for the round trip because the round trip procedure will not give you the web discount. It will give you the round trip discount, which is smaller than the web discount.
Notes; The web page is not user friendly and one has to do trial and error to find the discounts one is entitled to. If the train is more than half an hour late in arrival at the destination, one is entitled to a full refund of the fare paid. Be sure to ask for the refund because it may not be given freely. The AVE is the high velocity train for long distances. The AVANT is the high velocity train for medium distances. They both use the same rails and some of their destinations may be the same. Be sure to compare the prices for each of these to choose the best alternative. There is a Changes/Refunds button on one of the panels, if one needs to use it. You will need to have a ticket number to use it.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

mofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the roughmofieldhouse is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for this. Do you know of any hotels?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:54 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Nope sorry we have never been to Madrid, well apart from the airport that is.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed here once, http://bestwestern.worldexecutive.co...els/92043.html Id reccomend it for sure, I paid I think £35 a night out of season booked through www.quehotles.com I use them mainly when I stay in Spain, I dont think there is a English version of the site.

I only went to Madrid for Football and a bit of shopping and nightlife, So anything else I cant really comment on, I dont really do the tourist bit but the Hotel was well nice, quiet and very comfortable. I never had breakfast or ate there as there is plenty of places surrounding, Its close enough to the main shops and they stay open all day so you dont have to worry about returning for a siesta.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

searcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nicesearcher48 is just really nice

A group of us went last year and stayed at www.hostalmarlasca.com/ very central,in old walking area, safe, clean, but a bit tatty.No restaurante but a cafe opposite and loads of restaurants in the area about €55 a twin room.
We took the train from Alicante. Worth noting on "first class" it includes lunch or dinner if you are traveling at those times.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: trains- Alicante Madrid

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
The Renfe website is being changed continuously so if anything has change since this was done just persevere!
1.Go to http://www.renfe.es/.
2. On the bottom left hand side, there is a box that says: “Seleccione su idioma” (Select your language). Click on English.
3.On the upper right hand side, click on “Buy Tickets”.
4.Select origin: *. There are cities with an asterisk after the city name, and this means that city has more than one station.
5.Select destination:
6.Choose the date on the calendar.
7.Choose Number of Passengers;
8.Press Search.
9.On the next screen (Availability), you will find a list of fares and times of trains. Sometimes for cheaper fares, you have to choose a more inconvenient time. This is the nominal price and not the final price because you can find the final price only on the next page. There is a column called “Tarifas Promo”, which means the promotional fares available. These seats are limited. The star symbols means the Estrella fare with a 40% discount. The W symbols means the Web fare with a 60% discount. Check the tourist class circle. If the Tarifas Promo column has no symbols, that means that all the promotional fare seats have been sold out for that date. You may then want to look for a different date.
10. At the bottom of the page, one finds “Write the characters you see in the next image.” - Write them in the box.
11.Check the lower right hand side box Continue.
12.You reach the Form of Payment page.
13.Go to the Fare box and choose Web. The price should now a bit lower. This is the meaning of the different fares:
a.Carnet Joven - Youth Card - 25% discount.
b.Web - 60% discount (bought 15 or more days before trip).
c. Niño - Child - 40% discount.
d. Tarjeta Dorada - Gold Card for over 65 years old and Spanish citizen - 40% discount.
e.Estrella - 40% discount (bought between 7 - 15 days before trip).
f.General - No discount.
13.Fill in all of the fields that have an asterisk, as they are mandatory.
14.Purchaser’s details:
Name - Your first name.
First Surname - Your last name.
Second Surname - Leave blank.
15.For Type of Document: Check the appropriate ID you are going to use.
16. Check the “I have read and accept the General Conditions for Passengers box.
17. Fill in the Credit/Debit Card information.
18. Press the Purchase button.
19.You will then go to the Ticket page to complete your purchase.
20.You will get an email in PDF format with the tickets, which you need to print. With this you can go to the gate directly when you go to the station and use the ticket to board. The ticket should have the barcode on it. Some trains have a security checkpoint, similar to the one in airports. Go to the station half an hour before your train leaves if this is the case.
21.The Tarifas page is only in Spanish. Here is the explanation in English: (in case those who read this do not read Spanish).
A. Tarifa Web - You get a 60% discount if you buy your ticket on the web 15 days or more before the date you travel.
B. Tarifa Estrella - You get a 40% discount if you buy your ticket on the web at least 7 days before you travel.
C. Tarifa Ida y Vuelta - You get a 20% discount if you buy round trip tickets. The date of return should be 60 days or less after the date of your first trip.
22.The website allows you to buy tickets 62 days in advance of your trip for the AVE. For AVANT trips, or shorter trips, you may not be able to buy the tickets online until 15 days within your desired date of departure.
23. If you want to go round trip, you should do two trips instead of asking for the round trip because the round trip procedure will not give you the web discount. It will give you the round trip discount, which is smaller than the web discount.
Notes; The web page is not user friendly and one has to do trial and error to find the discounts one is entitled to. If the train is more than half an hour late in arrival at the destination, one is entitled to a full refund of the fare paid. Be sure to ask for the refund because it may not be given freely. The AVE is the high velocity train for long distances. The AVANT is the high velocity train for medium distances. They both use the same rails and some of their destinations may be the same. Be sure to compare the prices for each of these to choose the best alternative. There is a Changes/Refunds button on one of the panels, if one needs to use it. You will need to have a ticket number to use it.
Just to say thanks for this. I have now successfully booked my train tickets and they cost me 15euros each. There were a couple of differences in the web site to what you put but your email was a great help. If any one is interested I can write the new instructions for using the renfe web site.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Just to say thanks for this. I have now successfully booked my train tickets and they cost me 15euros each. There were a couple of differences in the web site to what you put but your email was a great help. If any one is interested I can write the new instructions for using the renfe web site.
That would be good, in case someone else needs to use it, thanks.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:23 pm

Yep RENFE is always updating the web site... so things may have changed since we posted the advice.
There was a recent article in the papers that state that the train company knew about the problems of the web page and that they are working on it. When that work is to be finished we don't know.