Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Advice on Setting up Business in Canary Islands

Advice on Setting up Business in Canary Islands

Old May 30th 2008, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

TheBigLad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on Setting up Business in Canary Islands

This seems like as good a place as any to start some research. My small family and I are considering moving to the Canary Islands. I am fortunate enough to have a little bit of money behind me (no millionaire, but comfortable) and would like to buy a house, and set up a business on one of the Canary Islands. Ideally I'd like to set up a watersports business (Boat Charters, Watersports (waterskiing, sailing, jet skis, etc), if there's enough money left over I might consider buying an apartment to rent out as well.

Am I barking mad or is there room for another watersports business in the area? I was thinking Gran Canaria, but any ideas welcome.

I also need to quite carefully consider where we are located as in due course my son (16 months) will need to be educated, hence proximity to good schooling is a must.

If anyone has any input I would be very grateful.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:28 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Advice on Setting up Business in Canary Islands

well you need to do some R&D befor you do any think there .... there lot off companys doing water sports on the Islands
Please dont get me wrong , i am not try to burst you ideal dream there
just going to give you a list and see how you get on .....
What type off water sport you going to offter , ?
Your market is there any one eles with in 1 hour bus,car drive doing the same ?
What age groups are you looking to sell two ?
Well you have funds for the quit weeks ,
How are you going to promotion you water sport in the Area , hotels bars websites
what are you going to spend on this promotion (wich is on going 52 weeks off the year )
Your stock whats the cost ? rentting some where to run and store you water sport stock I.e. wind surf gear ( tthat if it is )
and leveing the last big cost to last ............insurance water is a big area where little accenticented happen and will cost you and your insurance

I am in two water sports and have broken bones had stiches black eyes and had to be fished out the water by the Spanish coast gaurd
sorry take my water sport to hart
hope i have help you out there and any help please give me a shot
jurdy

Hope this dosnt turn you away

Tourist Season
Old May 30th 2008, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst I`m on the main land I still feel entitled to quote having been in business 3 years here, IT`S VERY TOUGH IN SPAIN!! Even if your Spanish,if youve had no or little business experience in the UK you are very likley to fail,also if you cant make it in business in the UK then youve no chance in Spain.

Your fortunate in having capital behind you but be aware that every thing here happens slowly, business applications,licenses etc,my advice would be research it when your living there and get a good accountant to help with some cash flows,equally important LEARN SPANISH!!
I`d advise you also need sufficiant funds to live for a couple of years without income.

I once read that if you want to make a small fortune in Spain.....start with a big one!!!

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 30th 2008, 1:58 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

HEED what Rotor is sayying
it not easy in spain and IT`S VERY TOUGH IN SPAIN!! lot more then the UK
you have to used Spanish here more as town hall will fob you off
Old May 30th 2008, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Interesting. These things are never quite as easy as you hope but then I've been in business for quite a long time working in the City (a far cry from setting up on your own, and in the kind of enviroment I'm heading to), at least I'm used to taking a lot of knocks.

At this stage, and I have yet to do a proper trip to get this worked out, I would look to ally myself with some of the resorts that possibly don't have a full complement of watersports on offer, perhaps entering in to a joint venture type of situation. In addition I would aim to run a small charter business either with a 30-50ft motor yacht, or a similar sized sailing yacht, along with 1-2 recreational powerboats, and a few jet skis.

This is the very rough idea, but then it's very early days and things can change, and no doubt will.

Clearly, my long forgotten A' Level Spanish will not do the trick, so along with the Yachtmaster course I'm currently undertaking it may be a busy time in the classroom.

Rotor, when you say it's very tough in Spain, what makes it so tough? Is it the competition, resistence to British/foreign business, laws....all of the above?

Thanks very much for the insights.
Old May 30th 2008, 2:15 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBigLad
Interesting. These things are never quite as easy as you hope but then I've been in business for quite a long time working in the City (a far cry from setting up on your own, and in the kind of enviroment I'm heading to), at least I'm used to taking a lot of knocks.
I was in business in the UK for many years, but I fairly quickly knocked the idea on the head here the more I read.

I dont think its about business accumen. Business is hard enough as it is, but place before you the full might of Spanish beaurocracy, and the habit of the Spanish charging Ex Pats more for most things than they would a national, and it makes it even more difficult. The English bar for instance being charged more than a spaniard for beer or bar supplies.

Apart from the competition you are going to find, the seasonality of the venture, and doubless the licences and agreements you have to put through, I guess you are going to have to think hard about profitability, because presumably theres a lot of finance going into this ....... do you know what you can charge for small boat charter or a jest ski rental, bearing in mind it wont be an all year thing?

If you run search on here there are a couple of threads on jet ski businesses, and iirc its almost impossible to get them up and running because of restrictions, having said that maybe the Canaries are different
Old May 30th 2008, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheBigLad

At this stage, and I have yet to do a proper trip to get this worked out, I would look to ally myself with some of the resorts that possibly don't have a full complement of watersports on offer, perhaps entering in to a joint venture type of situation. In addition I would aim to run a small charter business either with a 30-50ft motor yacht, or a similar sized sailing yacht, along with 1-2 recreational powerboats, and a few jet skis.

This is the very rough idea, but then it's very early days and things can change, and no doubt will.

Clearly, my long forgotten A' Level Spanish will not do the trick, so along with the Yachtmaster course I'm currently undertaking it may be a busy time in the classroom.

Rotor, when you say it's very tough in Spain, what makes it so tough? Is it the competition, resistence to British/foreign business, laws....all of the above?

Thanks very much for the insights.
What makes it so tough? a combination of all the things you mention and its peoples lack of disposable income limits everything,a lot of tourists on the costas are low income family`s so hiring watersports kit would be tough other than a jet ski for 15 minutes in a week, also as a foreginer it difficult to get the Spanish on side, I import and retail 4x4 parts and accessories and have only just started to make profit after 3 years, I thrash Spanish distributors on price/service and brands/quality are the same but many garages still have the old school mentality and dont like changing supplier even if they are paying upto 50% more!.

If you can pay your bills and support your family your doing bloody well!

Of course your business would be seasonal and it would proberly be wise to close for 6/7 months a year! Another thing, I think you need at least a skipper ticket to operate boats in Spain? including jet ski`s, how many tourists have this? I know some boat hire companies work illegally but risk jail if ever someone was killed or injured so thats not even worth thinking about, would your yatchmaster ticket be valid in Spain for commercial use?
I dont mean to p__s on you bonfire but be aware many fantasy jobs turn into nightmares!

Rgds

Rotor
Old May 30th 2008, 2:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be loads of hire places along the coast, but after so many accidents with the Romford Navy, they changed regulations.
Any one in Spain who drives a jetski has to hold at least a watercraft certificate of proficiency .
Old May 30th 2008, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Yikes.

Yes the Yachtmaster is international. Making people have a boat licence to drive a jetski seems a little harsh. I guess the charter business would work, but the other parts of the business could be a little impractical if this is the case!!!

Glad I asked, at this rate I might have to consider my other option of doing the same thing in BVI!

Old May 30th 2008, 3:31 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing you should be aware of. In Spain insurance is quite expensive, and for water sports you will need good cover. I have been told that things like water sports are considered to be very dangerous so that will affect your premiums.
Old May 30th 2008, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes the Yachtmaster is international. Making people have a boat licence to drive a jetski seems a little harsh. I guess the charter business would work, but the other parts of the business could be a little impractical if this is the case!!!

Glad I asked, at this rate I might have to consider my other option of doing the same thing in BVI!

I`d check with Spanish authorities on your yatchmaster ,they no doubt recognise it but would they allow you to operate a commercial venture with it??

Rgds

Rotor

I`d check with Spanish authorities on your yatchmaster ,they no doubt recognise it but would they allow you to operate a commercial venture with it??

Rgds

Rotor