Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:41 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Originally Posted by valenciatim
It's a nightmare, I agree!

On that we agree Tim. And for Chiclanagir, she has to make her plan according to her own conclusions.

I had a UK plated car here for some months but then took it back to UK and bought a new Spanish one instead. I also had 2 UK bikes here for some years, one followed by another which has since been switched to Spanish plate but whilst on UK plates they were all taxed MoT'd and insured and also, as in your case, kept off the road in my drive. Whenever I was stopped in car or on bike for a routine check together with my UK driving licence, the first assumption on the part of Mr Guardia was that I was just a tourist and nothing was said. I still maintain that there are some genuine tourists, especially with caravans who tour in Spain for more than 3 months in the winter and if they start to insist these go on Spanish plates after 90 days they will kill off that little tourist earner.

Now it sounds as though you need a big trailer to shift your UK plated vehicle back to the UK.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
So are British and Spanish tow bars so different then
No difference other than the spanish itv only seem to accept ones made in Spain or OE !!
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:43 am
Account Closed

So are British and Spanish tow bars so different then
Sam, the tow bars are mostly exactly the same physically, as Rotor says, they have CEC conformity. (Those were the days at university when we made up home made tow bars in the engineering workshop)

The difference is how the paperwork for the car (and trailer) differs between UK and Spain.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:43 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
On that we agree Tim. And for Chiclanagir, she has to make her plan according to her own conclusions.

I had a UK plated car here for some months but then took it back to UK and bought a new Spanish one instead. I also had 2 UK bikes here for some years, one followed by another which has since been switched to Spanish plate but whilst on UK plates they were all taxed MoT'd and insured and also, as in your case, kept off the road in my drive. Whenever I was stopped in car or on bike for a routine check together with my UK driving licence, the first assumption on the part of Mr Guardia was that I was just a tourist and nothing was said. I still maintain that there are some genuine tourists, especially with caravans who tour in Spain for more than 3 months in the winter and if they start to insist these go on Spanish plates after 90 days they will kill off that little tourist earner.

Now it sounds as though you need a big trailer to shift your UK plated vehicle back to the UK.
That will hopefully be us one day but would still like to do the 2 years
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:48 am
Account Closed

That will hopefully be us one day but would still like to do the 2 years
In my opinion Sam, if you are seriously planning to tour Spain with a caravan for 2 years, then best option is to get yourself a complete Spanish registered rig. Otherwise, even with Spanish car with tow hitch and all papers in order for towing, if you drive it up to UK and tow your caravan back, you will then need separate Spanish registration for the van if over 750kgs and christ knows how you get it plated for the journey down to begin with. Caravan club may be able to help you out with that one.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

In my opinion Sam, if you are seriously planning to tour Spain with a caravan for 2 years, then best option is to get yourself a complete Spanish registered rig. Otherwise, even with Spanish car with tow hitch and all papers in order for towing, if you drive it up to UK and tow your caravan back, you will then need separate Spanish registration for the van if over 750kgs and christ knows how you get it plated for the journey down to begin with. Caravan club may be able to help you out with that one.
I had an Opel 4x4 with towbar and bullbars or whatever they are called, no paperwork for either, ITV twice and no questions asked ?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:01 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jdr
I had an Opel 4x4 with towbar and bullbars or whatever they are called, no paperwork for either, ITV twice and no questions asked ?
UK or Spanish plates jdr ?
Did you go through matriculating an ex-UK caravan to Spanish plates ?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

UK or Spanish plates jdr ?
Did you go through matriculating an ex-UK caravan to Spanish plates ?
Spanish of course, UK cars are for the UK. ;-)
No caravan to change.
The grief you get is probably the reason you don`t see caravans on the road here.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:11 am
Account Closed

OK, was just trying to make the link back to Sam's thread expressing a desire to do 2 yrs of caravan tour
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If the items you mention will be listed on your ficha technica,proberly as enganche de remolque and defensa/paragolpe ,once they are entered on the FT then you dont need additional docs,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:31 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Rotor
If the items you mention will be listed on your ficha technica,proberly as enganche de remolque and defensa/paragolpe ,once they are entered on the FT then you dont need additional docs,

Rgds

Rotor
I can`t remember now and never really bothered about them, but you may be right, perhaps they were listed.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:45 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

No difference other than the spanish itv only seem to accept ones made in Spain or OE !!
Im sorry - but what is OE?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 11:47 am
Happy in my bubble

Hi EC
Well if we ever get over to Oz when we do tour France, Spain and Port we would probably hire a campervan or like you say buy cheapish over there and do it that way or i may ask Biggob if she wants to go halves on a place hahaha
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im sorry - but what is OE?
Original Equipment ie made by the manufaturer of the car.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 12:36 pm
Happy in my bubble

Original Equipment ie made by the manufaturer of the car.
Thank you x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.