Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:44 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice
Default Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Got this from another board

<Snip sorry but rule 7, but a link to the website is fine.>

I've heard this from other people that the Spanish do not do trailer hitches unless it's original equipment. I didn't think anyone could out anal the Germans until I tried to deal with the bureaucracy here. No question the Spanish out anal the Germans by a country mile (lived there for 7 years hence my comment) didn't think it was possible but they have.

Back to my original question why do they give you such a hard time over trailer hitches?

Last edited by jdr; Aug 12th 2008 at 8:02 pm. Reason: copyright.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:55 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Trailer Hitches What Gives?

As I understand it Rob, a trailer hitch has to be noted on the ficha tecnica so it is possible to retrofit but with a bit of paperwork. As for towing in general, I think it could be that the insurance needs to cover towing and also your licence (cat BE).
Old Aug 12th 2008, 12:57 pm
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by El Capitan
As I understand it Rob, a trailer hitch has to be noted on the ficha tecnica so it is possible to retrofit but with a bit of paperwork. As for towing in general, I think it could be that the insurance needs to cover towing and also your licence (cat BE).
A friend mentioned that it costs a fortune, upwards of 1500€ each for the hitch and for the trailer its self. Ironically he went through the inspection 5 times to get his right hand drive vechile on Spanish plates and no one noticed the hitch.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just goes to show the cost of getting hitched these days
Old Aug 12th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Trailer hitches / tow bars have to be homogolised to be accepted by the itv, they will not accept ones youve bought from the UK even if they are CE approved as a retro fit, they dont cost a fortune usually 180 -250 euro including the required paper work ,you then have to get it fitted by a garage who stamps and signs your documentation, you then take this to the ITV who will enter on you ficha technica that you have an approved tow bar fitted along with its serial number.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

yes Spain loves paperwork. A tow hitch has to be fitted by a licenced dealer here who gives you his stamped receipt, then you go to the ITV who for 10e or so updates your car details. The ITV don´t even inspect it but just stamp your book.

You can of course just ignore this but if you have an accident or cause one your car will be impounded till you show the correct paperwork, surprise surprise you can´t get it retrospectively so you have lost your car.

So a whopping 10e investment keeps you legal & you don´t get a sweat on when the Guardia are out stopping people.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
yes Spain loves paperwork. A tow hitch has to be fitted by a licenced dealer here who gives you his stamped receipt, then you go to the ITV who for 10e or so updates your car details. The ITV don´t even inspect it but just stamp your book.
I bought my car new in Spain, after two years I had a tow hitch fitted. Then I had to go to the ITV for inspection. They did a full ITV on the car ( Not required until four years old) but never once looked at or checked the tow hitch. :curse::curse:
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy

You can of course just ignore this but if you have an accident or cause one your car will be impounded till you show the correct paperwork, surprise surprise you can´t get it retrospectively so you have lost your car.

So a whopping 10e investment keeps you legal & you don´t get a sweat on when the Guardia are out stopping people.
I dont think you can just ignore it.I know some one who had it done 3 weeks ago and at the test station they stamped it on his reg dock.second check as the first they picked up a fault on the wiring.but it may well be different ways at different areas
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:30 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

As with anywhere, you can ignore the rules and get away with it. Of course the risk is that one day.....
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:48 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
As with anywhere, you can ignore the rules and get away with it. Of course the risk is that one day.....
no risk at all if you have a good plan b.thats usualy doing a runner
Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
no risk at all if you have a good plan b.thats usualy doing a runner
Big risk to do a runner......

Old Aug 12th 2008, 8:58 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for an excellent laugh.

I bet the two hostages thought that was funny.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:32 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by bil
Thanks for an excellent laugh.

I bet the two hostages thought that was funny.
ok plan B is out of the window.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:46 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betris
ok plan B is out of the window.
LOL...
Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:51 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
LOL...
he rob a bank , what about tow hitch with out paper work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.