Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Old Aug 12th 2008, 9:54 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trailer Hitches What Gives?

Originally Posted by jurdyr
he rob a bank , what about tow hitch with out paper work
They just throw a truncheon through the front wheel.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:32 am
Rob in Madrid

tim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nicetim hortons man is just really nice

Originally Posted by jdr
They just throw a truncheon through the front wheel.
ouch!!!!

I'll pass the link on, I've got a couple of friends interested in getting hitches put on.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:07 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jurdyr
he rob a bank , what about tow hitch with out paper work
Have you ever seen the mess when someone drives off and finds that the towball has been chained to a lampost with about 20 metres of chain ?

If your real lucky, once the @rse has been pulled off the car, the falling lampost is not quite long enough to cave the roof of the car in too.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

What about bringing a car with a trailer from the UK. Do you need to tell your insurance in the UK?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:24 am
Account Closed

Assuming a UK car and a UK trailer chiclanagir, check the insurance policy wording. My UK insurance always had a clause covering the liability of towing a trailer as a standard clause. There are a number of little things which are different with Spanish insurance policies for Spanish vehicles compared to UK policies.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:57 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

When we had our car matriculated, they didn't like the towbar and asked where the 'papers' were.

We said we hadn't got any because it was originally fitted in the Seat factory when the car was built!!

No joy, they still wanted 'papers'.

In the end we just had it taken off.

And would you believe they asked us where were the 'papers' for having it taken off and we had to pay the garage who took it off 100 euros for the 'papers'.

Now, I think we were scammed by both the ITV station and the garage.

Absolutely ludicrous and I would advise anyone else just to have it taken off before they have the car matriculated. (You can always put it on again if you're driving in the UK).
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Assuming a UK car and a UK trailer chiclanagir, check the insurance policy wording. My UK insurance always had a clause covering the liability of towing a trailer as a standard clause. There are a number of little things which are different with Spanish insurance policies for Spanish vehicles compared to UK policies.
UK car, UK trailer. Can the Spanish police do you for having a trailer hitch without paperwork in Spain on a UK car within the 6 months of being here?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
UK car, UK trailer. Can the Spanish police do you for having a trailer hitch without paperwork in Spain on a UK car within the 6 months of being here?
In principle, a UK car and trailer which is 100% legal in UK should be fine in Spain as a "tourist". The issue, as I am sure others may point out is when you change from being a tourist to being resident. There is no paperwork for a hitch on a UK plated car, only as said above when it comes to matriculating onto Spanish plates.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Yes, because according to the letter of the law, both should be on Spanish plates.
It is also unlikely that your UK insurance would still be valid, as normally they will only give you 3 months cover abroad.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Yes, because according to the letter of the law, both should be on Spanish plates.
It is also unlikely that your UK insurance would still be valid, as normally they will only give you 3 months cover abroad.
Back to the never-ending question here. If the owner of the vehicle is not "resident" then surely up to 6 months is still touring Tim? And whilst many UK companies limit the time abroad to 3 months, there are those who will cover 6 months out of the UK and they are allowed to do so by EU legislation.

I have to say I did contemplate retro-fitting a towbar on my Spanish car as I always found it so convenient in the UK and towed all sorts but the hassle factor over here has pursuaded me to forget a trailer for the time being.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:29 am
Account Closed

Here is a link from the AA - standard European cover of 3 months, longer on request. They should be fairly reliable. http://www.theaa.com/services/insura...ng_abroad.html
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the never-ending question here. If the owner of the vehicle is not "resident" then surely up to 6 months is still touring Tim? And whilst many UK companies limit the time abroad to 3 months, there are those who will cover 6 months out of the UK and they are allowed to do so by EU legislation.

I have to say I did contemplate retro-fitting a towbar on my Spanish car as I always found it so convenient in the UK and towed all sorts but the hassle factor over here has pursuaded me to forget a trailer for the time being.
It's a nightmare, I agree!
But Spanish law states that after 90 days here you become resident, and therefore the vehicle has to be on Spanish plates, trailer as well, depending on size.
I have to hold my hands up here and point out that I have a UK registered car here (with a tow bar!).
I bought it soley for the move over here as I felt it was easier and cheaper than hiring a car until we had settled. The car was kept "legal" as far as I was aware for 3 years in that it was taxed, insured and mot'd. Since I found out the correct procedure, the car has not moved from my drive as it is not worth spending the money on.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

In principle, a UK car and trailer which is 100% legal in UK should be fine in Spain as a "tourist". The issue, as I am sure others may point out is when you change from being a tourist to being resident. There is no paperwork for a hitch on a UK plated car, only as said above when it comes to matriculating onto Spanish plates.
UK tow hitches have to be CE approved on cars under a certain age ,I think its from 1996 ,they do come with paper work and the CE (Comunidad de Europa) marking which means its theoreticaly approved for use anywhere in the EU, BUTthe spanish wont accept it

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valenciatim
Since I found out the correct procedure, the car has not moved from my drive as it is not worth spending the money on.
The price/value of scrap cars has rocketed so now may be the time to call your local desguaces

Rgds

Rotor
Old Aug 13th 2008, 10:40 am
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

So are British and Spanish tow bars so different then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.