Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Took a dog to the dogs home today.

Took a dog to the dogs home today.

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:02 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Took a dog to the dogs home today.

Originally Posted by Lionda
Sounds good - hope the weather is better than here (wet and miserable )
Glorious sunshine here
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 8:03 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Glorious sunshine here

Good I hope it stays that way and you have a great afternoon
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this helps, and I am no expert, but apparently patting a dog on the top of his head is a sigh of dominance, so if you don't know a dog you should approach it by going under the chin. I don't know if it works, but it is some of the things we read up on when we were training our springer. (its why dogs try and put their chins on other dogs neck, top one wins!)
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NicCol
I don't know if this helps, and I am no expert, but apparently patting a dog on the top of his head is a sigh of dominance, so if you don't know a dog you should approach it by going under the chin. I don't know if it works, but it is some of the things we read up on when we were training our springer. (its why dogs try and put their chins on other dogs neck, top one wins!)
I would say this is very relevant. My dog is extremely dominant and hates being patted on the head. When people ask to stroke him, I always tell them to stroke under his chin.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 6:43 pm

I havent posted on here for a week but took all of your advice. So now its time for an update......the stray dog has just eaten from my hand for the first time I am just so happy Its now at the point that when he hears my car he runs out of hiding and comes up to me, not too close and is still very nervous....but at last my patience seems to be paying off.

Thanks for all you help guys
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:05 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

I havent posted on here for a week but took all of your advice. So now its time for an update......the stray dog has just eaten from my hand for the first time I am just so happy Its now at the point that when he hears my car he runs out of hiding and comes up to me, not too close and is still very nervous....but at last my patience seems to be paying off.

That is brill Sam well done - i bet you feel really chuffed now i know i would - big hug xxx.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:51 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam just read this thread,you did the right thing taking the dog to the home at least it may have a chance of a new home
Good for you for trying to befriend the stray dog,try taking something you can eat and then before you feed the dog you eat something first,this shows the dog that you are the dominant one and kneel down to his level and let him come to you for the food and also try giving him a name when you give him the food say good boy name ,he should soon get used to his name,you don't know what trauma the dog has been through so go careful ,but never let him see you are scared,it seems you are doing very well so far with him,its going to be difficult for me when I come across strays ,I will land up with a houseful.
There was a boxer tied up at finca close to where we stayed ,it was never let off the tie:curse: the farmer went everyday to feed the animals but the dogs were just tied up all the time :curse: it makes me feel so sad

All the best with your stray ,keep up the good work
Old Sep 29th 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Sam......................that's fantastic news!

It sounds like your patience is paying off; youre doing such a great job with this dog.
You must have got a real buzz when he actually came to take the food from your hand.

Hopefully it won't be too long before he trusts you enough, that you can get him to the dogs home.

Excellent news............good on you, Sam xx
Old Sep 30th 2007, 12:45 pm

Just been to see Bobby (thought it better if we gave him a name) to feed him and things are coming on leaps and bounds now. I put some food on the floor for him but he prefered to eat out of my hand instead of the food on the floor. After he had eaten he then licked and nudged my hand so I thought I would be brave and stroke him under his chin. He froze solid when I stroked him, but as soon as I stopped he nudged my hand to stroke him again. Then when I had been there a while I turned round to come home and Bobby started following me, jumping a little and wanted to play. Although he was very nervous and backed out of playing I am definately building up his trust very fast now. The only problem is....how the hell can I take him to the dogs home when I have done all this for him? I cant have him at our house because our our little dog and now the thought of taking him to the home is playing on my mind. Is there anyone out there who wants another dog? Or do you know of anyone who will take a dog in?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Just been to see Bobby (thought it better if we gave him a name) to feed him and things are coming on leaps and bounds now. I put some food on the floor for him but he prefered to eat out of my hand instead of the food on the floor. After he had eaten he then licked and nudged my hand so I thought I would be brave and stroke him under his chin. He froze solid when I stroked him, but as soon as I stopped he nudged my hand to stroke him again. Then when I had been there a while I turned round to come home and Bobby started following me, jumping a little and wanted to play. Although he was very nervous and backed out of playing I am definately building up his trust very fast now. The only problem is....how the hell can I take him to the dogs home when I have done all this for him? I cant have him at our house because our our little dog and now the thought of taking him to the home is playing on my mind. Is there anyone out there who wants another dog? Or do you know of anyone who will take a dog in?
It would be a shame to leave him somewhere if there is a chance of him being mistreated. Is there no way at all you can keep him?
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

Carolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really niceCarolineclair is just really nice

As he is so used to living outside i dont imagine he would be a very good indoors dog so maybe you could ( i dont know the size of any outside space you have) keep him in a kennel outside so that your other dog and him dont have to interact hardly at all?? Obviously this may be totally impossible depending on space at your home. I really hope you find him a home!
Old Sep 30th 2007, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

My landlady keeps trying to get me to take a rescue dog. I'd love to, but I can only commit to a year here for now and dunno what I'll be doing after that. I already left a cat behind in the UK without leaving a dog here in a year
Old Oct 1st 2007, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of rescues. This is our new 5yo Lhasa Apso called Gus. We picked him up yesterday from a very loving family that had to rehome him as he's started to growl at their toddler (Lhasas and children don't mix) they were devestated as he was their first baby, but we love him to bits already.

Old Oct 1st 2007, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin
On the subject of rescues. This is our new 5yo Lhasa Apso called Gus. We picked him up yesterday from a very loving family that had to rehome him as he's started to growl at their toddler (Lhasas and children don't mix) they were devestated as he was their first baby, but we love him to bits already.

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...uffin/Gus2.jpg
Chris, he looks absolutely gorgeous Give him a big kiss from me
Old Oct 1st 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ragomuffin

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...uffin/Gus2.jpg
My friend has two of these, both bitches, and they are really amusing little things.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.