Tonight's Menu

Old Nov 10th 2007, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tonight's Menu

Originally Posted by crispygirl
but home made is never like the real stuff
It can be. Just use shed loads of Ghee (clarified butter) dry roast and grind your own spices, blend down with lots of onion, chilli and tomato (dependent on the dish) to make a masala gravy, et voila, every bit as good as a restaurant and if you make large batches and freeze it - it's easier next time. Cook-in sauces are rubbish, apart from maybe Lloyd Grossman's.

Trouble is, a lot of ingredients just don't seem to be available in Spain, like aesofoetida, tamarind, galangal and decent hot chillies.
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:29 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ragamuffin
Trouble is, a lot of ingredients just don't seem to be available in Spain, like aesofoetida, tamarind, galangal and decent hot chillies.
I totally agree , I'm going to restock with all fresh spices before I leave here, I make a base sauce starting with 2lb of onions,ginger,garlic,tomatoes,tomatoe puree turmeric,paprika,salt and water, and then I freeze it in portions , from this base sauce I make various dishes.

I also grind spices to make garam masala,it all takes time but worth the effort.Its proberly not the same has fresh but you can buy chillies that are chopped in a jar from the asian shops , oh and its much cheaper to use the asian shops for buying spices than getting them little silly expensive jars from the supermarket but buy the small packets becaues the spice does not keep fresh for months, your better stocking up regular on fresh ones ,I wont be short of a curry in Spain , but I have to say its still good to eat them in the resturante
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know about tonight, but last night I did a really yummy beef goulash with loads of paprika. It was for a farewell meal for our best friends who are sailing from Plymouth to Santander tomorrow for the start of their new life in CB. ..mixed feelings over that one!

So ok, they are going before us, but now at least we can say we are on the way too! (Had the confirmation letter from the solicitor this morning, so now I know I haven't dreamt it all!!!!!!)
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:41 am
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornish maid
So ok, they are going before us, but now at least we can say we are on the way too! (Had the confirmation letter from the solicitor this morning, so now I know I haven't dreamt it all!!!!!!)

Hey thats brill,you can really start your planning now and start packing ,it wont be long now and you will be soon on your way, are you feeling better today ?? I do hope it runs smoothly for you here on in
Old Nov 10th 2007, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Up in the mountains outside Cocentaina..and loving it!
Cornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond reputeCornish maid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandy44
Hey thats brill,you can really start your planning now and start packing ,it wont be long now and you will be soon on your way, are you feeling better today ?? I do hope it runs smoothly for you here on in
Thanks, Jean, so do we!
I am feeling a bit better, thanks...must have been the thought of Matt with the goose grease!
Old Nov 11th 2007, 9:25 am

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just had beans with corned beef and cheese melted into them on toast for breakfast....bloomin delicious
Old Nov 11th 2007, 2:45 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Last night I cooked yummy yum food

lemon chicken, prawns with sweet chili sauce, stir fried veg with noodles and Rice....

To day we have curry, spicey chicken for Mal, a very mild fruity prawn for me, chickpea, potato and tomato curry as well (you won't want to be in our house later, more hot air to add to global warming) with poppadoms and home made sweet mango/red onion and chilli chutney.

Thank you ragomuffin and Jean for your tips, I don't use shop bought sauce I make my own, but it sounds like I have a wee way to go before I am as good as you two. Jean I will try making the base sauce you suggested and freeze it, I know I should add the ghee but I am soooooo over weight I just can't bring my self add it.

Nearly forgot Ragomuffin I have a chilli plant and boy o boy do these chilli's knock your socks off at any one time I have the choice of mauve, green, red and orange the orange ones are sweet but hhhoooootttttt and it just keeps on growing.
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:20 pm
Young at heart

lemon chicken, prawns with sweet chili sauce, stir fried veg with noodles and Rice....

To day we have curry, spicey chicken for Mal, a very mild fruity prawn for me, chickpea, potato and tomato curry as well (you won't want to be in our house later, more hot air to add to global warming) with poppadoms and home made sweet mango/red onion and chilli chutney.

Thank you ragomuffin and Jean for your tips, I don't use shop bought sauce I make my own, but it sounds like I have a wee way to go before I am as good as you two. Jean I will try making the base sauce you suggested and freeze it, I know I should add the ghee but I am soooooo over weight I just can't bring my self add it.

Nearly forgot Ragomuffin I have a chilli plant and boy o boy do these chilli's knock your socks off at any one time I have the choice of mauve, green, red and orange the orange ones are sweet but hhhoooootttttt and it just keeps on growing.
Don,t attempt to make it yet I will send you the recipe via PM when I get chance soon , from this base sause you will need the various recipe's to make the currys. Im going to try and grow some chillies when I get there, I would not of thought of that, cheers
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:26 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jandy44
Don,t attempt to make it yet I will send you the recipe via PM when I get chance soon , from this base sause you will need the various recipe's to make the currys. Im going to try and grow some chillies when I get there, I would not of thought of that, cheers

Thanks Jean I'll hang on till you get time to send it, no rush
Old Nov 11th 2007, 3:40 pm

Pam Sarky is an unknown quantity at this point

Ragomuffins wife makes the best paella ever.....Ive not even had one as good as Jans in any Spanish restaurant!!

Chris, I think its about time Jan shared the recipe and tells me what her secret is
Old Nov 12th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Ragomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond reputeRagomuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pam Sarky
Chris, I think its about time Jan shared the recipe and tells me what her secret is
Hi Sam, I told Jan how complimentary you were about her paella and she's delighted.

I tried and tried to get her secret out of her, but she's not telling. All I know is you have to use good quality paella rice and fresh fish stock which you add gradually like with a risotto.

You'll have to try some of her Greek dishes, her Afelia, Moussaka and Kleftiko are all fantastic.