Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TOLL BOOTHS ON BORDER

TOLL BOOTHS ON BORDER

Old Jun 21st 2012, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

BILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond reputeBILL AND CLAIRE has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down TOLL BOOTHS ON BORDER

Toll booths are being built on the border and will be ready to open by AUG 1st
This is due to the fact that most foreign reg vehicles Ie Spanish, English,Have refused to pay there tolls..This could also mean that a toll charge could be made just to visit Vila Real.. Most of us thought this might go away,But it looks like its here to stay. I tried to explain that there had to be an alternative route and was told there is The Ferry...
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TOLL BOOTHS ON BORDER

Simple answer
Don't visit Portugal
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought that was what was being done when I saw the works earlier this week. If I have to use a toll road to get where I want to go then so be it. Too many people want things for free, I was always told nothing is free, you pay for it somehow.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Graham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Simple answer
Don't visit Portugal
Except that is where the airport is.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 8:32 pm
Bleating on & on

Barbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura aboutBarbara Red lips has a spectacular aura about

You could always use Seville airport ... oh what joy ... better to pay the toll!
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:16 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I thought that was what was being done when I saw the works earlier this week. If I have to use a toll road to get where I want to go then so be it. Too many people want things for free, I was always told nothing is free, you pay for it somehow.
I think most people grudgingly accept tolls - the big problem is the system they use and how it can really mess up peoples holidays and/or visits .... making Portugal less attractive... in these troubled times.

There are a couple of threads on the Ayamonte and Portugal forums... that explain the stupid system they use.

... and the car rental companies (including the biggest names in the world) who havent prepared themselves to protect their customers....
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Why grudgingly ? It can add to the cost of trips. Countries need good road systems and roads need maintenance and repair. I would avoid the toll roads if the alternative was an option for the trip. I prefer more scenic routes if time can allow but sometimes it cannot be built into the entire trip.

Yes the method of payment seems to be mad and not well thought out but then did they not just pull an idea out of the bag and pray it would get money in the pot.

I follow the main thread on the forum as family who drive when here use Faro airport. Others used Sevilla without problems when I lived nearer there, some still might.

Not on the ball this morning, what do you mean by rental companies not protecting their clients ? ta
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 8:57 am
RQM
Forum Regular

RQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really niceRQM is just really nice

I must admit I dont really mind toll roads. If I am in a hurry to get somewhere e.g. North to South of France they are excellent, great surface, little traffic and cut the journey in half.

What I do object to is when I was recently lost on the A7 I used the same toll booth several times and the attendant just kept taking my money and would not / could not explain where I was going wrong. It turned out there was a slip road just before the booth and at 3.00am virtually invisible.

If the money had been going into the guys own pocket I could have understood his silence but I paid a small fortune that night to eventually get less than 1km from the toll
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 9:00 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Why grudgingly ? It can add to the cost of trips. Countries need good road systems and roads need maintenance and repair. I would avoid the toll roads if the alternative was an option for the trip. I prefer more scenic routes if time can allow but sometimes it cannot be built into the entire trip.

Yes the method of payment seems to be mad and not well thought out but then did they not just pull an idea out of the bag and pray it would get money in the pot.

I follow the main thread on the forum as family who drive when here use Faro airport. Others used Sevilla without problems when I lived nearer there, some still might.

Not on the ball this morning, what do you mean by rental companies not protecting their clients ? ta
Hi there .... not wanting to repeat all the discussions on this - why not check out the threads on this subject....

Look at rental companies not supporting customers with transponders; telling them not to use the m-way for 2-3 days before leaving; and the photo of a bill for fines over 300 euros that someone got! etc. etc too much to repeat there.

Im afraid they didnt think this through for the thousands of visitors to Portugal and rent a car... so whilst not 'pulled out of a hat' - it wasnt well thought out. And many rental co's (including the 2 bigest in the world) stuck their heads in the sand.

I am OK to pay the tolls - but like most people I am not delighted with it - and do so grudgingly (like most people). My big issue is the method - which I think is crazy.

Take a look at the Portugal News (free paper) and the front page item as well.

There is also an argument that is going though the courts that this toll is illegal.

Like most people I understand the need for funding, especially in this crisis, but they need to think it through better. Its a mess at the moment.

Thanks
Jon
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE
This is due to the fact that most foreign reg vehicles Ie Spanish, English,Have refused to pay there tolls..This could also mean that a toll charge could be made just to visit Vila Real.. Most of us thought this might go away,But it looks like its here to stay. I tried to explain that there had to be an alternative route and was told there is The Ferry...
Could this be the Estradas de Portugal's EASY TOLL system for foreign registered cars? (Please read the links I've posted on the other thread.)
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:26 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Could this be the Estradas de Portugal's EASY TOLL system for foreign registered cars? (Please read the links I've posted on the other thread.)
Here it is

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...4#post10134584
Old Jun 23rd 2012, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Jon for referencing the thread.

Thanks also to Bill and Claire for the heads up. I'm not in Spain/Portugal so can not know what is going on. Just reading the online papers, leisurely...

Yet, here's a job opportunity related to the EASY TOLL for Spanish/English speakers:
http://theportugalnews.com/news/toll...t-border/26229
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Graham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to allGraham G is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Barbara Red lips
You could always use Seville airport ... oh what joy ... better to pay the toll!
And have the pleasure of being held to ransom every five minutes by Ryanair staff?
Old Jun 25th 2012, 7:47 am
Just Joined

alaric is an unknown quantity at this point

Are but we have already paid for this motorway through our VAT/IVA contributions to the world's longest and most luxurious gravy train and giant Ponzi scheme -the EU and are continuing so to do through endless support to the Portugese coffers so they should be paying us for our visits.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:58 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by BILL AND CLAIRE
I had a thought when passing the roadworks .... surely there needs to be an alternative to a toll road?

If there is a toll immediately after the bridge one is forced to pay to get into Portugal.. either one pays at the bridge or one pays the ferry. The 'long way' over the river at the 'new bridge' is not feasible - a couple of hours detour.

So I would expect the toll to be placed after the VRSA turn off - thus giving people the chance to get into Portugal and not pay a toll.

The roadworks are very big for the normal gantries we are seeing everywhere else....

Living in hope!!

With tolls all over the m-way one has to wonder if the petrol station they are building next to the plaza will be necessary now as the toll charges will make the Portugese less intereste in coming over to fill up....

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.