Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tips / service charge

Tips / service charge

Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tips / service charge

Before the Euro was introduced, everyone happily tipped. But with the new coinage, all pricing was rounded up heavenwards. And with one blow, tipping came to an end. Most just leave the small change, with nothing more being expected.
Personally I don't like tipping. I prefer peeps are paid a decent living wage. Good service should not have to be rewarded with me having to pay more than the advertised price. I find the idea that service should ever be anything less than the best one can give, to be utterly bizarre. If a business provides all the advertised stuffs at the price agreed, then I shall return. Simple really.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:20 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I always tip if I've had good service and I know that my tipping probably marks me out as a foreigner, but I think good service deserves paying for and the added benefit is you'll be guaranteed good service next time. It's an investment.

Only if I've had poor service do I not leave anything.
So I take it then that you would tip.......
The lads who collect the basura.
The postie (assuming you get one)
The checkout person in the supermarket.
The bank clerk.
etc.
etc.
etc.
etc.

It is when you think about it, quite illogical & a pain that you have to think about if you are a tipper.
It is easy for us here now as we do not have to consider the issue & hust pay the bill for the service that we have recived & the locals where we live frown and mutter when tourists tip.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:42 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve always tipped, here in Spain and everywhere else. Perhaps I imagine it, but I’m always well-treated in the places I frequent, and my tapas portions are definitely bigger than those of the non-tippers, if I call a taxi one arrives in minutes, and my postman goes out of his way to deliver my mail.

My pool maintenance people keep it sparkling clean, my mechanic uses proper oil, and I’ve even had a few salutes from Trafico.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:46 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

You tip Trafico
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
You tip Trafico
You cannot tip trafico, its called " sobornar"
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

littlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud oflittlelambfound has much to be proud of

Yes, HGB, you do imagine it. I also receive all of those things mentioned....without tipping!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 4:57 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I've even taken my bank manager to lunch. and my accountant, and my lawyer. I like to see people smile, and can't see any harm in not paying more tax than I have to.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

Aussie30 is an unknown quantity at this point

In Australia we hardly ever tip as restaurant/cafe staff are quite well paid. In the UK they are not so I would tip, if I thought the food and service deserved it. Here in Spain I have been leaving small tips occassionally.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is a class of people who delight in any excuse not to tip. In the UK often the staff are paid poorly (my daughter did a lot of waitressing when she was younger, so I have some first hand experience. ) Their money was so low that they really appreciated the tips they got.

We were told by our Spanish friends that 5% was the custom, but I do think that with everyone going short, I think people tip less.

I still do, as I get damn good service where I go, and it is a practical, real way of saying 'thank you.'

A lot of people can't even say that,, so why should we be surprised if people don't want to tip. Who knows, with luck they will be in a similar position one day, and that might just teach them some empathy.

As for those who are rude to staff, hmmm, these are people who handle my food out of my sight. Knowing what goes on in restaurants sometimes, I REALLY want them to like me.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:25 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bil
I think there is a class of people who delight in any excuse not to tip.
I still do, as I get damn good service where I go, and it is a practical, real way of saying 'thank you.'

A lot of people can't even say that,, so why should we be surprised if people don't want to tip. Who knows, with luck they will be in a similar position one day, and that might just teach them some empathy.

As for those who are rude to staff, hmmm, these are people who handle my food out of my sight. Knowing what goes on in restaurants sometimes, I REALLY want them to like me.
Bil you are attempting to stereotype here.
Class of people ? (mean spirited/tight/rude ???)
Cannot say thank you (see no tipper)

Yes I know that you are generalising, but I have done bar work & I do praise often "and" get good service without the need to "tip".
As has been said, bar staff etc are not the only workers to receive low wages, in fact half of the Spanish workers receive low wages IMO but you would never "tip" them I fancy.
Just bear in mind that you can tip heavily & "still" no be liked !
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Just bear in mind that you can tip heavily & "still" no be liked !
Don't worry, we know we're hated, we have jackytoo and agoreira to remind us of that lest we forget.

That won't stop me tipping though
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ive always tipped 10% when having a meal. It does get costly though, especially if you have been out for a special meal for instance

On a recent visit to America I worked out I had tipped over €200, for if you dont do 15% you are looked at with disdain! They even have suggested tipping amounts printed on the bills!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:38 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, I do HATE being told what I should tip.

Generalising is absolutely fine, as is stereotyping. To say people have two legs is to generalise, and stereotypes are real. They wouldn't be stereotypes else....

A knob-end will always be one no matter how he tips, and a tightwad also is usually recogniseable.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:45 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rachelk
Don't worry, we know we're hated, we have jackytoo and agoreira to remind us of that lest we forget.

That won't stop me tipping though
Rachel if it suits you

I can only speak for myself & hate feeling obliged to "tip"
The last person I tipped was the grua driver who dropped us and our shopping off at home when he effectively had done his job by dropping the car at the garage.
As for tipping for a coffee
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Rachel if it suits you

I can only speak for myself & hate feeling obliged to "tip"
So do I. But I don't do it because I feel obliged. I do it because and when I want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.