Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tips / service charge

Tips / service charge

Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:23 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tips / service charge

Do you tip & why / why not?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:30 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips / service charge

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Do you tip & why / why not?

I always tip, and always have, but the Spanish are not big tippers generaly.

I have known barmaids who only get about 2 euros a night tips, rubbish............
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:48 pm
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS

I have known barmaids who only get about 2 euros a night tips, rubbish............
Wow, that`s rubbish.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

sensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud ofsensationalfrog has much to be proud of

my wife is a waitress,gets 7e an hour not too bad and about 10e a day in tips,problem is a party of 10 can leave a euro tip or a couple having a coffee can leave a euro tip

everyone should if the service is good and food/drink good leave at least 10% as a lot of the wages are 5e an hour and this extra helps

the other prob is a lot of the owners also take a share,i think this is wrong
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 5:26 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

We did carry on tipping UK style when we first arrived here, but soon noticed that the locals tend to not tip.
So to answer the question, no we do not tip now (bye & large) unless a service that we receive is exceptionally good or more than can be expected.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 6:43 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

my wife went out to lunch with a group of 34 women the bill came to , 328 euros. She sugested that each one should put a tenner in, so that each one would give only a 30 odd euro tip each. The women went mad. they thought that the tip was too much (about 12 euros).

They spent about half an hour scrabbling around for their 20 cents change and in the end left a 5 euro tip.
This was about 4 years ago, my wife has not been out with them since.

Tight wads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

she was so disgusted she kept the bill to remind her.............................
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Here it is almost rude not to tip, I was surprised to hear from others saying the opposite.
There is no rule on the amount, although 10% is the norm. I do find it a pain though as I rarely carry cash, and never coinage so if the missus hasn't bought her handbag then they are out of luck!
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sensationalfrog

everyone should if the service is good and food/drink good leave at least 10% as a lot of the wages are 5e an hour and this extra helps
I personally think it is up to the person concerned, no way should they feel obliged to tip. If they want to, fine, if not, no problem. It should not be the customers job to have to make up the staff's low wages. If you walk in a pub in UK, order a few beers, you don't tip the barman every time you buy a round, why should you do it it Spain when they offer you the change on a tray? Having said that, we always used to tip quite well, but have cut back, especially on long stays when we eat out every night. I quite like the Spanish way if they are not happy with the service, to leave a cent, or lowest denomination coin, to show that they haven't forgotten the tip, in fact they have left what they think the service deserved.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 9:07 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Like most I leave a tip, but in these recesionary times I am beginning to wonder why does a waitress on minimum wage deserve a tip when so many others on minimum wage get nout?

In Corte Engles cafe they refuse to accept a tip.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

The only people I have ever known leave a tip in a Spanish cafe/ bar were Brits.

And no, I do not tip anyone. Why should I? nobody ever gave me a tip for simply doing my job.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
The only people I have ever known leave a tip in a Spanish cafe/ bar were Brits.

And no, I do not tip anyone. Why should I? nobody ever gave me a tip for simply doing my job.
It is usual to leave a tip in a bar/cafeteria, even if you are just having a coffee and tapa, but it doesnt have to be much, just 10 or 20 centimos.

2 euros tip is fine if going for a lot of tapas in the early evening or 5 euros for a proper evening meal

You dont have to tip anything like 10-15% like Brits or Americans might

However, Spanish people do usually tip at cafes and restaurants, just not very much and if you don't tip noone will complain.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cricketmanHowever, Spanish people do usually tip at cafes and restaurants, just not very much and if you don't tip noone will complain.[/QUOTE]

Not around here they don't.
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
Not around here they don't.
You must have some particular stingy ones then

Someone said yesterday "How can I talk for every Spanish person". Of course I cant. I can only comment based on what my Spanish friends and family do and what I see of Spanish culture on the TV and newspapers.

The culture is to tip in Spain, but not huge amounts....
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

How are tips shared out in a restaurant? Varies I suppose. For instance, if you enjoy your meal it's because of the food as well as the quality of service, so does the chef, the bottle washer all get a share?
Old Dec 2nd 2009, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
You dont have to tip anything like 10-15% like Brits or Americans might
I always tip if I've had good service and I know that my tipping probably marks me out as a foreigner, but I think good service deserves paying for and the added benefit is you'll be guaranteed good service next time. It's an investment.

Only if I've had poor service do I not leave anything.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.