Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tips for relocating to improve life/work balance?

Originally Posted by JR76
Hello Ka,

I don't mean to jump in on your conversation, but if you could tell me more about your experience, I'd really like to know.

I do the same work in the US and am wanting to GET OUT, just like the OP of the thread. (don't hold it against me - I went on this forum since there are relatively few American Expats in the world, let alone Spain). The life work / balance is absolutely terrible here and socially things are getting stranger by the day. I don't really think I'd like to (when I get to it) eventually raise a family under these unhealthy conditions.

Note: I'm also an Italian Citizen, so there should be not issues with work permits, etc.

What I really want to know what you know about employment - How IT/Network jobs are like there, how hard it is to find a job, how much language matters in it, and especially in terms of pay (which seems atrocious, even compared to our weak dollar, at first glance). I worked in the UK before and it wasn't so different that I couldn't easily adapt, but it sounds rather different in Spain, based on your post.

I've got a sizable amount of experience (over 10 years) and don't want to just toss it all in the wind, if I don't have to.

Also, IntuitiveNipple - I have to ask why you haven't asked much of the same questions (job-related)?

To me, my job is the bottom line to survival, and without addressing it, you could end up living in a wonderful country, but in poverty, sort of ruining the experience.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Hi & welcome to BE!

I'm afraid I can't help with your questions, but no doubt someone will be along at some point to help

I have a feeling it won't be either of the posters you mentioned though, because they haven't been around for a month or so.
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:46 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Hi & welcome to BE!

I'm afraid I can't help with your questions, but no doubt someone will be along at some point to help

I have a feeling it won't be either of the posters you mentioned though, because they haven't been around for a month or so.
Are you sitting in my head ?
Old Aug 4th 2007, 6:47 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
oops
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
It's so uncomfortable whe that happens
Old Aug 4th 2007, 7:42 am
Just Joined

JR76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
Hi & welcome to BE!

Thanks, and well, i'll just have to wait!
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

for me, im glad the thread was bought back to the top, I for one have not seen it before and there was some info on there RE the NIE forms ect which have been interesting to me, along with the sol bank in Pall Mall, I even went to the sol Bank site and didnt know there was a branch there. Ive just spent a good half hour reading the 8 pages here

Thanks JR76
Old Aug 4th 2007, 8:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by andyrich666
for me, im glad the thread was bought back to the top, I for one have not seen it before and there was some info on there RE the NIE forms ect which have been interesting to me, along with the sol bank in Pall Mall, I even went to the sol Bank site and didnt know there was a branch there. Ive just spent a good half hour reading the 8 pages here

Thanks JR76
bear in mind though, that the 'residence' rules have changed in the past few months so what held true at the beginning of the thread probably doesn't now
Old Aug 4th 2007, 11:13 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

So where did nipple get to in the end?