Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tieing up loose ends.

Tieing up loose ends.

Old Aug 16th 2005, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Greenfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tieing up loose ends.

Hello people I've been following this forum for several months now and have just joined today. I seek your expert advice on several issues but shall start with the one thats troubleing me the most.

My wife and two children are due to move out for good to La Marina next month. Our house is sold and we shall be renting until our new house is completed.
My question is this...What should we be doing at this end as regards the uk tax office (tax credits, child support etc do we still get it when in Spain?). Can we get our post redirected to Spain and if so what is the Spanish postal system like?
I think basically I'm just after any ideas that you good people might have that I may have forgotten to sort out here in the UK.
Any hints,tips etc most welcome,
Old Aug 17th 2005, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tieing up loose ends.

You need to seek advice from the Inland Revenue regarding tax credits etc.
I'm guessing many credits/benefits are residency based .

You should be able to redirect mail. Royal Mail do (I believe) an international re-mailing service. Postal service in Spain is generally good but varies dramatically from one town to the next in some cases.

Overall, international mail coming in, and mail going out is pretty good.

Originally Posted by Greenfinger
Hello people I've been following this forum for several months now and have just joined today. I seek your expert advice on several issues but shall start with the one thats troubleing me the most.

My wife and two children are due to move out for good to La Marina next month. Our house is sold and we shall be renting until our new house is completed.
My question is this...What should we be doing at this end as regards the uk tax office (tax credits, child support etc do we still get it when in Spain?). Can we get our post redirected to Spain and if so what is the Spanish postal system like?
I think basically I'm just after any ideas that you good people might have that I may have forgotten to sort out here in the UK.
Old Aug 17th 2005, 2:07 pm
GCM
Forum Regular

GCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant futureGCM has a brilliant future
Default Re: Tieing up loose ends.

Originally Posted by Greenfinger

I've found the postal system to be very good in terms of sending to England - it takes 4 days usually and the same from England to Spain.

We were told that delivery from the sorting office to your house address can be very hit and miss, sometimes you can't even get mail delivered. So what we did was in town we hired a mailbox, bit like a PO Box, where they collect it from the sorting office and put it in our box. It's just far easier and saves a lot of time. The cost is reasonable and well worth it (in my opinion).

It's also good in that if you move around until you are settled then you keep the same address i.e. the mailbox rather than having to keep re-notifying people time and time again and having mail go astray.

Mark