Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

TIE appointments

TIE appointments

Old Oct 27th 2020, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default TIE appointments

I spoke to a solicitor this morning who covers the Albir area & was told that no appointments are being given after the end of November.As the whole of Alicante province has to use the unit set up in Alicante city at present,maybe this could mean that we shall be able to use a station nearer to where we live.Can anyone confirm this?
Old Oct 27th 2020, 11:51 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TIE appointments

Hola,

The British Consulate is in discussion over the lack of available appointments and will issue a statement as soon as possible

Davexf
Old Oct 27th 2020, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

I actually have an appointment but as there are so many others who are in greater need than myself,after hearing this from the solicitor,I will feel selfish in taking up my November date.Should there be a chance that we can go to a police station /foreigners office locally after December,I will give up my appointment at this time.As for the British Consulate taking this up,I will only say I won´t hold by breath.
Old Oct 27th 2020, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
I actually have an appointment but as there are so many others who are in greater need than myself,after hearing this from the solicitor,I will feel selfish in taking up my November date.Should there be a chance that we can go to a police station /foreigners office locally after December,I will give up my appointment at this time.As for the British Consulate taking this up,I will only say I won´t hold by breath.

If you already have residency. You don't need to get the new TIE.

But saying that we know a few people who have gone off half cocked and think that, even though they have been here for 20 years. For some reason without the TIE they can be sent packing.

We will be starting our application sometime in November once we have been here the 3 months and can prove income etc. We have everything needed but Alicante wont even look at our paperwork until the 3 months is up (and Ive asked 2 solicitor's and a couple of local Gestor's) and got the same answer.
One suggested we move temporarily to Malaga and do our residency there (while a nice holiday would be good) It makes a mockery of the system.
I don't know why each region is allowed to make up the rules as they go along.

Old Oct 28th 2020, 6:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it it's only appointments for the first stage of residency applications, the submitting of the Modelo EX-20, which are temporarily closed but there is - potential at least - a way around that, get yourself a digital certificate and do it online.

​​​​​​According to both the EX-20 form itself and the official government issued English guide to the processes neither an NIE number nor a Padron are required to do that however as with most things in Spain theory and practice can have a habit of occupying opposite corners of the same room!

In any case the fact that you can't get an appointment before Dec 24th. (government offices will be closed for Christmas between then and Jan 2nd. so in reality the 24th. is the final day) doesn't matter because it's the fact of living in Spain before year end which counts.

Insisting that people complete 3 months of residence before allowing them to begin an application is itself a perversion of the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement in both word and spirit.

That says that an application must be made WITHIN 3 months of arrival NOT after and that the financial requirement is only to demonstrate that you have the resources to support yourself so as not to become a burden on the State, NOWHERE does it say that that has to be 3 months worth of payments into a local bank A/C and officials processing applications are supposed to assess each case individually.

The invention of a 3 month rule may make their job easier and even marginally increase efficiency by reducing the time taken on each application but it's an invention nevertheless.

​​​​​
Old Oct 28th 2020, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

I have had my green certificate for many years.At some stage we shall ALL have to have the TIE.It wasn´t that I believe we shall"be sent packing" but I was surprised that my appointment came through after a few weeks from the day I applied.It doesn´t make sense that appointments for 1st.stage are being restricted when,the likes of myself for change of address only,will still be able to proceed.I am planning to sell a property & did not want to arrive at the Notario for a completion & be told my "old style" green paper was not acceptable.At no time during the previous years has it ever been questioned about having my original address on it.
Old Oct 28th 2020, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
As I understand it it's only appointments for the first stage of residency applications, the submitting of the Modelo EX-20, which are temporarily closed but there is - potential at least - a way around that, get yourself a digital certificate and do it online.

​​​​​​According to both the EX-20 form itself and the official government issued English guide to the processes neither an NIE number nor a Padron are required to do that however as with most things in Spain theory and practice can have a habit of occupying opposite corners of the same room!

In any case the fact that you can't get an appointment before Dec 24th. (government offices will be closed for Christmas between then and Jan 2nd. so in reality the 24th. is the final day) doesn't matter because it's the fact of living in Spain before year end which counts.

Insisting that people complete 3 months of residence before allowing them to begin an application is itself a perversion of the terms of the Withdrawal Agreement in both word and spirit.

That says that an application must be made WITHIN 3 months of arrival NOT after and that the financial requirement is only to demonstrate that you have the resources to support yourself so as not to become a burden on the State, NOWHERE does it say that that has to be 3 months worth of payments into a local bank A/C and officials processing applications are supposed to assess each case individually.

The invention of a 3 month rule may make their job easier and even marginally increase efficiency by reducing the time taken on each application but it's an invention nevertheless.

​​​​​
And with the closing of the new appointments, those of us who have just arrived will also struggle to exchange our driving licences (yes I know about the new form) but it may ask if you have already started your application.

Its a bit round and around, waiting for the music to stop.

I also agree about having to be here for the 3 months (thats mainly Alicante that does this) I don't know what other EU countries are asking for though (could be even worse)
We've been here 2 months and if it weren't for the covid situation I would probably have decided against residency by now and arranged a more nomadic lifestyle, not stopping anywhere for protracted periods.

But hey decided that Spain would be our base so lets see what happens.