Ticks

Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

BlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond reputeBlackBeardie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticks

Originally Posted by bil
Well, the idea is to do the best you can. I don't know the sensitivity of those bacteria to heat. Do you?

Some bacteria can survive 90C, but an awful lot can't stand 50.

So, you'd treat the area with a disinfectant, and then use a hot treatment. It kills a lot of bacteria. For instance, when I have one of those small infected cuts, I immerse them in hot water and they heal tooty sweety. But hey, don't take my word for it.

The other week someone took my advice, and I damn near fainted. I'd told him onion juice treats burns, and when his wife burned her hand quite badly he made her stick her hand into a bag of onion pulp and keep it there for a couple of hours.

She was amazed to find that it worked, and she had no blisters at all.

Most people are far too stupid to even think of trying something out of the norm.
Thanks for the heads-up on the onion juice one. I have neevr heard of this treatment for burns. I'll research it.

Beardie
Old Jun 15th 2011, 7:59 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Got one and they DO work. Vid says ticks can infect within 4 hours, however unlike our midges, you cannot feel then when they land on you and start to suck blood.
Pete
Quite true, I was standing up trimming back a few branches one day in Sweden and the first thing I knew was when I saw blood pouring down quite fast over the back of my hand and fingers.
Never felt a thing but this one must have dropped out of the foliage, drilled straight into a vein and hit the jackpot.
Surprising it could have made what must have been a sizable hole so quickly without me noticing.
I believe it was a moose tick, though I can't quite recall for sure now.
Old Jun 15th 2011, 8:52 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BlackBeardie
Thanks for the heads-up on the onion juice one. I have neevr heard of this treatment for burns. I'll research it.

Beardie
On the off chance that you may actually try this, just have an onion to hand when you weld, cook or have a bonfire.

Cut the root end off AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and dab the liquid onto the burn site, then keep anointing it until the liqud stops running. Then scrape the cut end and apply the pulp.

If it's bad, put on a plastic glove or bag and pack it with grated onion pulp.

I think the explanation is that the chemicals that are absorbed thru the skin block the chemical cascade that causes a blister.

The joy of that is that blister don't form, because blisters burst, the soft skin underneath dries, cracks and gets infected thus guaranteeing pain for a long time.

It's analogous that the stroke isn't the problem. It's the swelling that follows that screws you. Personally I'd gag down a whole bottle of anti inflammatories were I capable!
Old Jun 24th 2011, 10:41 pm
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

In Tenerife some people if they had a garden, sprayed their homes with something called ectokill to stop ticks coming into their house. Do they sell that here in Costa del sol and if so, where?
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:30 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovethesun
In Tenerife some people if they had a garden, sprayed their homes with something called ectokill to stop ticks coming into their house. Do they sell that here in Costa del sol and if so, where?
Dursban = Chas 40 will do it. Never yet found a tick in the house, touch wood, and I don't spray around the house like some do.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

lovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nicelovethesun is just really nice

Thanks but she seems to want the same stuff as they used in Tenerife which is Ectokill, anybody know if you can buy it here?
I am seeing her later today so will tell her about that one but as she has lived here quite some time I would presume that she will have tried the one you mention, and is possibly the reason she is so interested in what they used over there but just incase she hasn't, where would she buy that one from?

Last edited by lovethesun; Jun 25th 2011 at 1:00 am.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 1:05 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by lovethesun
Thanks but she seems to want the same stuff as they used in Tenerife which is Ectokill, anybody know if you can buy it here?
I am seeing her later today so will tell her about that one but as she has lived here quite some time I would presume that she will have tried the one you mention, and is possibly the reason she is so interested in what they used over there but just incase she hasn't, where would she buy that one from?
I get it from a cooperative here (cadiz region). As with all these chems, it pays to buy by the litre. Buying weeny little bottles from viveros and the like will sometimes cost so much that it's cheaper to buy a litre.

It might be chas 48. can't remember the number, but they'll know what you mean.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Chas 48 is Chlorpirifos which is very effective against things like cockroaches and ants and beetle type insects and is used a lot inside buildings.

Ectokill is used for plagues of fleas and the like and contains an additional compound that kills the eggs which is essential for that type of infestation.

It should be available in Spain

http://www.mascotaplanet.com/catalog...er-p-1009.html

Neither are appropriate for ticks as such as ticks don't live in buildings - they drop onto you (or an animal) in the campo. If you find one in the house it has probably been introduced by an animal - we have seen a few that have dropped off our cats before getting a hold on them.

I am not aware that they breed in houses - unlike fleas and cockroaches.
Old Jun 25th 2011, 3:37 am
Forum Regular

Thanks will pass on website, just had a read about ticks and it says they can live in houses for months in cracks and furnishings without food and then wait to climb on nearby host. Gross!!
Old Jun 25th 2011, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

When tics are engorged with blood the fall off the "host" and like to hide in thick vetation or thick pile carpets. Should not be a problem for most Spanish homes.
Pete