Ticks

Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ticks

Originally Posted by bil
Well, When the pups arrived, I picked off what I could see, and then the day after that checked them again.

Only some very sick ones, and no more since.

Do always remember that all the methods of removing ticks, like burning with a cigarette, vaseline, poisons and so on, as well as pulling them by the body should never be used, as all will risk making the tick vomit some blood into the wound which is a very high risk of causing an infection. Pull them off with a hook or loop designed for the purpose, and be careful not to leave the mouthparts in the wound.

If you get bitten, I would suggest applying a hot poultice, as hot as you can bear on the wound for as long as you can. The idea is to heat up the tissues around the wound in the hope of killing bacteria and viruses which can be very heat sensitive.
Yes I was aware that the tick would react to vaseline, cigarettes etc. I had a loop to remove one from my dog's skull but it just kept bending and I made matters worse, resulting in a nasty infection. All cleared up now though.

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I thought Frontline didn't provide full protection against ticks? Ours had the collar too after I had a tick. Was stood at the bathroom mirror one morning and looked like a nasty spot on my neck. Putting on my reading glasses I could see it's legs hanging out You can buy a special tick remover instrument but I can't remember if I bought it in the UK or Spain.
Did you remove it yourself?
Old Jun 12th 2011, 3:45 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

We were told that the correct removal method was to use alcohol first, then use tweezers to pull out the tick. Apparently, the alcohol loosens them but you have to make sure that you get all of the tick and don't leave the head buried in!

We've taken many out from our dogs despite them using collars and frontline.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

No I didn't remove it myself, I screamed and OH got it out. Had it checked out at the Doctors.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
No I didn't remove it myself, I screamed and OH got it out. Had it checked out at the Doctors.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:14 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We were told that the correct removal method was to use alcohol first, then use tweezers to pull out the tick. Apparently, the alcohol loosens them but you have to make sure that you get all of the tick and don't leave the head buried in!

We've taken many out from our dogs despite them using collars and frontline.
I wouldn't use alcohol.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:38 pm
Just Joined

anninspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adra04778
Can anyone tell me where one can buy the tick remover please
Most vets in Spain sell them
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:14 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I wouldn't use alcohol.
Why?

That's what the vets use 'round here. Or are you implying it's a waste
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:19 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Why?

That's what the vets use 'round here. Or are you implying it's a waste
Having been told not to assult the tick with vaseline, heat or anything that might make it vomit, I just assume that alcohol might have the same effect.

Using it afterwards to clean the wound is fine, and very sensible.

Were I bitten, I'd also use a high thermal mass hot poultice as fast as poss, for as long as I could.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

On the west coast of Scotland there is the same problem with ticks. My G.P. goes wild if we try to remove them especially if we leave the head in. It can cause big problems as there is still ,a contact directly into your blood stream.
Ok I know it is possible to get Lymes disease but there is a lot of hype and I only know of one person who has been infected with it in about 20 years.
The G.P. advises us to leave them in! and let the nice chappies fall out by themselves. We put perfume onto them and it usually works on humans. The dog would run a mile at the very word knowing that we would extract them, occasionally with a bit of fur.
Pete
Old Jun 12th 2011, 7:07 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
On the west coast of Scotland there is the same problem with ticks. My G.P. goes wild if we try to remove them especially if we leave the head in. It can cause big problems as there is still ,a contact directly into your blood stream.
Ok I know it is possible to get Lymes disease but there is a lot of hype and I only know of one person who has been infected with it in about 20 years.
The G.P. advises us to leave them in! and let the nice chappies fall out by themselves. We put perfume onto them and it usually works on humans. The dog would run a mile at the very word knowing that we would extract them, occasionally with a bit of fur.
Pete
Again, I'd suggest not using anything like that, but just pull them using a correct tool.

Interestingly, if you are in a lyme disease area, watch out if there are a lot of acorns on the trees. It usually means that there will more lyme cases the following year, and they will be more widespread.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by anninspain
Be aware that it is illegal to let your dogs roam in the campo. If they kill any of your neighbours chickens or bite anyone they will probably be shot or you will get denounced.
If you can't afford to fence off all of your land, could you not fence off a bit
round your house?
OK - thanks for that. Luckily they do seem to stay on our land - which is quite extensive so I think we're OK

[QUOTE=adra04778;9427786]Can anyone tell me where one can buy the tick remover please[/QUOTE

We got ours from here - http://www.otom.com/how-to-remove-a-tick

Believe it or - an hour or so ago I discovered a tick on my back
First time this has ever happened! I pulled it off before I realised what it was and got OH to have a look and put some antiseptic on (see my earlier post about OH almost dying!) Do I need to see a doctor???????
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun

Believe it or - an hour or so ago I discovered a tick on my back
First time this has ever happened! I pulled it off before I realised what it was and got OH to have a look and put some antiseptic on (see my earlier post about OH almost dying!) Do I need to see a doctor???????
Unless you start to feel ill there is not much the Dr can do. They could put you on anti biotics as a precaution.
Tick borne illnesses depend on what the tick has been feeding off before. Lyme is only one of many but you will soon know (usually within 24 hrs) if you have an infection.
Hope you will be clear and well, chances are you will be.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Unless you start to feel ill there is not much the Dr can do. They could put you on anti biotics as a precaution.
Tick borne illnesses depend on what the tick has been feeding off before. Lyme is only one of many but you will soon know (usually within 24 hrs) if you have an infection.
Hope you will be clear and well, chances are you will be.
Thank you for that - I've woken up feeling fine so I guess I've escaped any 'nasty'!

First time I've been bitten - to my knowledge - but after what happened to OH I'm a little paranoid
Old Jun 13th 2011, 7:35 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The classic symptom of Lyme disease is a red rash in the form of a ring round the bite site appearing a few days later.

If you go to the doctor they will arrange a blood test to check it out. If confirmed a course of antibiotics will sort it out.

If left it goes away but the consequences later can be very serious.

We get ticks on our cats at this time of the year. One simple method of removing them is a dab of Frontline direct on the tick. Personally I use a pair of tweezers and an eyeglass to see exactly what I am doing - if you get them early they are very small.

If you buy a pair of ordinary tweezers they need to be modified by bending the tips inwards at about 45 degrees - that enables them to get right under the tick at its head. Ordinary tweezers will just squash it which injects its stomach contents into the animal! Not nice.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 8:20 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I must have pulled hundreds out over the years when living in Sweden where the tick problem was much worse than in Spain or the UK.

I only ever used a set of tweezers, but as Fred mentions they do need to be the right shape to avoid either squashing them or nipping them off at the head.

I've never seen a specialized tool for the purpose, so would be curious to know what it is like and is it of metal construction ?

I watched a Spanish vet removing ticks on one occasion and she appeared to me to be using normal tweezers or something very similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.