Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

Old May 8th 2007, 7:11 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

Originally Posted by jdr
What we need is someone like Mr nipples to do his research job on it and collate the info and I will post the results, you know where. ;-)
We are not back to the puppies thread again are we?

Graham
Old May 8th 2007, 7:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
We are not back to the puppies thread again are we?

Graham
No, he is talking about the thread that tells lies!
Old May 8th 2007, 7:17 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
No, he is talking about the thread that tells lies!
Well I understand from my OH that you are researching 'puppies' as a new academic thingy so when you refer to nipples I decided that this was part of your research.

Graham
Old May 8th 2007, 7:19 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Well I understand from my OH that you are researching 'puppies' as a new academic thingy so when you refer to nipples I decided that this was part of your research.

Graham
No, as much as I wish I could have a thread covering, or not as may be the case, nipples, it is in reference to Intuitive Nipple.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
The time that you are in Spain as Bigger Jim has posted, if over 3 months you are classed as resident, then you might have another 30 days to swop to Spanish plates, or if they think that you knew you was staying as resident at the start of your visit, then you may end up paying lots of money out in fines.

I note that you have now accepted that you need to apply for a residents certificate after 3 months - you originally said it was 6 months.

As for the car - how many times do you need to be told - you have 6 months to re register your car in Spain after becoming resident. The 30 days applies to importation free of registration charges.

Is the information from the EU lawyers not good enough for you?

If not please quote the relevant Spanish law that says you only have 30 days to do so.
Old May 8th 2007, 8:29 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by Fred James
I note that you have now accepted that you need to apply for a residents certificate after 3 months - you originally said it was 6 months.

As for the car - how many times do you need to be told - you have 6 months to re register your car in Spain after becoming resident. The 30 days applies to importation free of registration charges.

If not please quote the relevant Spanish law that says you only have 30 days to do so.
you have some balls I will give you that.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You may bring into Spain your EU registered car without further formality but you may not use it in Spain for more than 6 months in a calendar year. If you spend more than 6 months in any year in Spain, you will be considered resident and consequently you must obtain full national plates and pay the special vehicle registration tax (impuesto municipal sobre circulaciĆ³n de vehĆ­culos).

You may also matriculate your foreign car on Spanish plates, you shall do it within 2 months from the time of entry. You should present all original documents as it is a complicated procedure.

The auto insurance you need is the coverage by your insurance company in your country of origin, extended to cover travel in Spain.
From http://www.spainlawyer.com/guialegal...ITULO=05010000

But the 6 months has just changed to 3 months with the new residencia certificate....
And the plate change time is now 30 days from time of entry instead of 2 months.

The Spanish Police were not interested in whether he lived in Spain or whether he was a tourist. The new law states that, if you are in Spain for longer than 6 months with your car, you are considered by law to be a Resident for the purposes of the Spanish Police Departmento Traffico. Or, should you actually move to live in Spain then you are now, due to a change in the law, liable to exchange your UK number plates with a Spanish MOT within 30 days of entry.
From http://www.expatfocus.com/your-car-i...n-spain-part-1

Both are in the sticky thread at the top of the page.

PS where did I say 6 months to become resident ?

Last edited by jdr; May 8th 2007 at 9:35 pm.
Old May 8th 2007, 9:44 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcomber
You can obtain the ficha tƩcnica either from the Spanish distributor of the vehicle, assuming there is an exact Spanish equivalent of the particular make and model, or from a 'perito de automoviles'.

So why was ours wrong three times? We have a Seat Alhambra (made in Barcelona!).
Old May 8th 2007, 9:47 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by scampicat
So why was ours wrong three times? We have a Seat Alhambra (made in Barcelona!).
there is always one!
Old May 8th 2007, 10:24 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
there is always one!
It failed because the Ficha Tecnica said 5/7 seats and the guy in the ITV station said it must say 7, not 5 or 7.
Because the tyres were the wrong size???????????? No other size will fit the wheels!
And because the steering wheel was on the wrong side! (Hey, it's a British car we have here, even if it is a Seat!).
Old May 8th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice

Ok been there got tee shirt, cap, shorts, photos and memories. THIS IS THE LAW. If non - Resident, your uk car can stay in Spain for ever and live happily ever after. But these rules apply it must be,taxed and MOT'D, Insured in the country of Registration, this obviously means you have to take the car home once every year for a car over 3 yrs old. If resident you must under current Law (if anyone can be bothered including the police, re register your car within 6 mths and don't be told by any pretending advisers money thieving baxxxrds anything else.) Resident or not these apply (again you will be told this is not possible for non resident) You require Empadronamiente, IVT, (yes on foreign plates) V5 translation and conformity documentation issued by the ITV station(120euro) proof of house owner, some other tax to be paid in the office of traffic(19.euro), proof of road tax paid (11euro part year) a documentation to prove you paid a value of the car tax (ex import tax mine 300 euros) and something else I paid another 200 euros but it took that long I forgot, This was all with having a spanish amigo in presence and him having the car driving around on Spanish roads 365 day's a year on UK Plates (hang the basxxad Chop off his arms, Shoot him at dawn)

As for Insurance you can find that the policies wording is any 30 days at one time outside the uk ,not in one year. You can get all year policies as long you don't break residency Laws. (With ibex in Gibraltar.)

As to car impoundment and the warning given by others at the start of this thread. Please someone post on this site whom has been found in breach of the Laws what I have stated, I don't mean someone who knows someone, who Knows someone, who knows someone. Actual person please.

Reading some of the absolute rubbish written on these threads,there can't be any expats because they would all be locked up and deported.

The fact is we don't understand British Law ( especially on motoring offences)B4 starting to understand and scare people about Spanish Law.

Last edited by Spanishliferules; May 8th 2007 at 10:40 pm.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:42 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
But the 6 months has just changed to 3 months with the new residencia certificate....
And the plate change time is now 30 days from time of entry instead of 2 months.
The 3 month rule has been in existence for many years and has not changed.

You have now introduced another confusion - 2 months to reregister your car.

EU law is quite clear - you have 6 months.

The UK embassy correctly points out that the 30 days applies to tax free importation.

That's my final word on the subject.
Old May 9th 2007, 5:52 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

The 3 month rule has been in existence for many years and has not changed.

You have now introduced another confusion - 2 months to reregister your car.

EU law is quite clear - you have 6 months.

The UK embassy correctly points out that the 30 days applies to tax free importation.

That's my final word on the subject.
My final words too..

I only found the two months thing in the Spainlawyers site after checking out your quote "Is the information from the EU lawyers not good enough for you?"

The more you look the more confusing it gets..... ;-)

As I reside in Spain and drive a Spanish car, I am not really worried about illegal UK reg motors anyway, unless I am involved in an accident with one.
Old May 9th 2007, 6:24 am
Ex Expat

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
Ok been there got tee shirt, cap, shorts, photos and memories. THIS IS THE LAW. If non - Resident, your uk car can stay in Spain for ever and live happily ever after. But these rules apply it must be,taxed and MOT'D, Insured in the country of Registration, this obviously means you have to take the car home once every year for a car over 3 yrs old. If resident you must under current Law (if anyone can be bothered including the police, re register your car within 6 mths and don't be told by any pretending advisers money thieving baxxxrds anything else.) Resident or not these apply (again you will be told this is not possible for non resident) You require Empadronamiente, IVT, (yes on foreign plates) V5 translation and conformity documentation issued by the ITV station(120euro) proof of house owner, some other tax to be paid in the office of traffic(19.euro), proof of road tax paid (11euro part year) a documentation to prove you paid a value of the car tax (ex import tax mine 300 euros) and something else I paid another 200 euros but it took that long I forgot, This was all with having a spanish amigo in presence and him having the car driving around on Spanish roads 365 day's a year on UK Plates (hang the basxxad Chop off his arms, Shoot him at dawn)

As for Insurance you can find that the policies wording is any 30 days at one time outside the uk ,not in one year. You can get all year policies as long you don't break residency Laws. (With ibex in Gibraltar.)

As to car impoundment and the warning given by others at the start of this thread. Please someone post on this site whom has been found in breach of the Laws what I have stated, I don't mean someone who knows someone, who Knows someone, who knows someone. Actual person please.

Reading some of the absolute rubbish written on these threads,there can't be any expats because they would all be locked up and deported.

The fact is we don't understand British Law ( especially on motoring offences)B4 starting to understand and scare people about Spanish Law.
Yes, I agree on a number of things.

It is certainly possible to get an ITV on a British-plated car. We did, it lasted for two years, (not expired yet), it is called something like a 'reversion voluntario'. This was before we did the matriculacion and was what a German expat told us we had to do.

You can get unlimited European insurance policies also.

And I personally don't know of ONE person who has had their car impounded for being on British plates, including someone who has been fined and 'pointed' for drink-driving.

And you're also right, we don't know the law, why should we when Spanish lawyers, gestors and police don't/won't? All we know for sure really is that if you are a resident and then you MUST import your car within six months.

But no-one does anything if you don't, certainly not in this area anyway.

Last edited by scampicat; May 9th 2007 at 6:30 am.
Old May 9th 2007, 7:00 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
And I personally don't know of ONE person who has had their car impounded for being on British plates, including someone who has been fined and 'pointed' for drink-driving.

ay.
DonĀ“t know the ins and outs of the case, but a friend of the family got his UK plated car removed from the road by the Police and impounded.

That was on the Costa del Sol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.