Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

Old May 8th 2007, 4:47 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For those of you on UK plates ... your days are numbered?

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
you see there is where I have a bit of conflict, because my insurance company says that I have European cover for the length of my UK cover.
Yes of course you have european cover for the length of your UK cover ... its part of your UK policy .... but ask them what happens to your cover if you go to live in Spain ........ for them the risk increases, and thats why the ones I have always come accross are always limited
Old May 8th 2007, 4:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lionda
Ah - now, you can pay extra for European cover, maybe that is what you have(?) We just have a fully comprehensive which does not include European cover but we get 30 days European cover for travelling abroad Still confused
As I said, it just depends on your individual policy. I can go anywhere I like in Europe any time on my standard Spanish policy (it is of course a Spanish reg car).

On the other hand it is incorrect to state categorically that you cannot spend more than 30 days away or that you have to be a tourist.

There is no such thing as a "standard" insurance policy - you can insure for absolutely anything - at a price.
Old May 8th 2007, 5:15 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
As I said, it just depends on your individual policy. I can go anywhere I like in Europe any time on my standard Spanish policy (it is of course a Spanish reg car).

On the other hand it is incorrect to state categorically that you cannot spend more than 30 days away or that you have to be a tourist.

There is no such thing as a "standard" insurance policy - you can insure for absolutely anything - at a price.
Rubbish, tell your Spanish insurance agent you are moving to England and see how long they will cover you for then.
Old May 8th 2007, 5:29 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

so can someone actually sum up what you ACTUALLY need to do if you want to take a car to Spain on British plates? Because every time I read the thread I leave more confuddled than when I started!
I hope someone else can help you because it IS confusing!

I suppose the safest thing would be to get it matriculated as soon as you can and hope it doesn't take a year.

Even after having ours matriculated (took nine months) I STILL don't know where you get the Ficha Technica from
Old May 8th 2007, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

You can obtain the ficha técnica either from the Spanish distributor of the vehicle, assuming there is an exact Spanish equivalent of the particular make and model, or from a 'perito de automoviles'.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:04 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Rubbish, tell your Spanish insurance agent you are moving to England and see how long they will cover you for then.
Why would I want to do that? I am not moving to England.

You said, categorically, that you cannot be insured outside the UK on a UK policy for more than 30 days - that's rubbish - and many others have confirmed that.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:38 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Why would I want to do that? I am not moving to England.

You said, categorically, that you cannot be insured outside the UK on a UK policy for more than 30 days - that's rubbish - and many others have confirmed that.
I said that because it is the same thing but in reverse.
These people are insuring their car in UK and thinking they are covered when as they are Spanish residents they are certainly not covered.
The UK insurance only covers you as a tourist in Spain not as a resident....
Old May 8th 2007, 6:41 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I said that because it is the same thing but in reverse.
These people are insuring their car in UK and thinking they are covered when as they are Spanish residents they are certainly not covered.
The UK insurance only covers you as a tourist in Spain not as a resident....
I have had a conversation with Norwich Union, my insurers, and they have confirmed that, I am only covered if Spain is not my country of residence, if I lived there it is up to a Spanish insurance company to insure me.

What he couldn't tell me was if my car would be legal, not his department guv'!
Old May 8th 2007, 6:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I have had a conversation with Norwich Union, my insurers, and they have confirmed that, I am only covered if Spain is not my country of residence, if I lived there it is up to a Spanish insurance company to insure me.

What he couldn't tell me was if my car would be legal, not his department guv'!
A car has to be mot`d taxed and insured in the country of origin, so without UK insurance then it is not legal.
The Dutch guy I work for has had to send his merc back to holland because he could not insure it for Spain and bought a Spanish reg BMW to replace it.
Old May 8th 2007, 6:52 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
A car has to be mot`d taxed and insured in the country of origin, so without UK insurance then it is not legal.
The Dutch guy I work for has had to send his merc back to holland because he could not insure it for Spain and bought a Spanish reg BMW to replace it.
So insurance aside, what would happen if someone took a UK reg car to Spain for a year, given that all the MOT etc was up to date, what would be the legal standpoint?

Earning your K today eh?
Old May 8th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Hi

I think that this is the bit of legislation that may have started some of it??

NEW ENTRY & RESIDENCE REQUIREMENTS FOR EU CITIZENS

From 28 March 2007, Royal Decree 240/07 requires that all EU citizens planning to reside in Spain for more than three months register in person at the Foreigner’s Office (Oficina de Extranjeros) in their province of residence or at designated Police stations. However, they will no longer be issued with a residence card and, instead, will be issued a certificate stating their name, address, nationality, identity number and date of registration. EU citizens who already have valid residency cards need take no action until the card expires. On expiry they too must register at the Oficina de Extranjeros or designated police stations.

I just e-mailed the FCO in London to ask whether it will affect the current system for driving legal UK cars in Spain. Tried Madrid Embassy but their e-mail system is down. If I get a response I'll let you know.

Jim
Old May 8th 2007, 7:00 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

So insurance aside, what would happen if someone took a UK reg car to Spain for a year, given that all the MOT etc was up to date, what would be the legal standpoint?

Earning your K today eh?
The time that you are in Spain as Bigger Jim has posted, if over 3 months you are classed as resident, then you might have another 30 days to swop to Spanish plates, or if they think that you knew you was staying as resident at the start of your visit, then you may end up paying lots of money out in fines.
Old May 8th 2007, 7:03 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
The time that you are in Spain as Bigger Jim has posted, if over 3 months you are classed as resident, then you might have another 30 days to swop to Spanish plates, or if they think that you knew you was staying as resident at the start of your visit, then you may end up paying lots of money out in fines.
got ya......much clearer now than when I first started reading the thread!
Old May 8th 2007, 7:07 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

got ya......much clearer now than when I first started reading the thread!
What we need is someone like Mr nipples to do his research job on it and collate the info and I will post the results, you know where. ;-)
Old May 8th 2007, 7:11 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by jdr
What we need is someone like Mr nipples to do his research job on it and collate the info and I will post the results, you know where. ;-)
I do know where, and it shall remain nameless.

If Nipple, (such an awkward name!) could do that it would be very helpful, you know, for those heading to Spain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.