Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to Costa del sol

Thinking of moving to Costa del sol

Old Nov 16th 2007, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

stilllooking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to Costa del sol

Hi all, I currently live in Benidorm and am thinking of making a move and was interested in some feedback from anyone living in the Costa Del Sol area. I know it's a big place and I've never been but wanted to hear from those of you as to what you think of it. Any help on work and accommodation info would be helpful also.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:11 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to Costa del sol

Originally Posted by stilllooking
Hi all, I currently live in Benidorm and am thinking of making a move and was interested in some feedback from anyone living in the Costa Del Sol area. I know it's a big place and I've never been but wanted to hear from those of you as to what you think of it. Any help on work and accommodation info would be helpful also.
Why do you want to move from Benidorm to the CDS? Just out of interest. No offence to anyone who lives down there, but it was the one area of Spain that we decided we didn't want to look at when we moved over here.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

I split up with my long term partner and decided I would prefer to move away, Benidorm was not my first choice anyway. I fancy trying somewhere different and it's either there or moving back to France so I thought I'd give Spain another chance. The only thing that worries me is finding work as my Spanish is not too good and finding accommodation in the right place as I have 2 dogs so an apartment is out of the question. May I ask what put you off the area?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:18 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I split up with my long term partner and decided I would prefer to move away, Benidorm was not my first choice anyway. I fancy trying somewhere different and it's either there or moving back to France so I thought I'd give Spain another chance. The only thing that worries me is finding work as my Spanish is not too good and finding accommodation in the right place as I have 2 dogs so an apartment is out of the question. May I ask what put you off the area?
Too many Brits . Go down to the English half of Benidorm in the evening in July or August, and that about explains it. From what I've seen and heard the main towns in CDS are much the same.

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are lovely parts of the CDS so please dont shout at me
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

lol I know what you mean, that's what I like about the old town of Benidorm where I work, still has a Spanish identity to it.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:25 pm
Senior Moment

lol I know what you mean, that's what I like about the old town of Benidorm where I work, still has a Spanish identity to it.

Ahh yes we stay at an apartment with friends on the Pontiente side just above the Coach & Horses Bar, which wierdly is run by a Spaniard
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Too many Brits . Go down to the English half of Benidorm in the evening in July or August, and that about explains it. From what I've seen and heard the main towns in CDS are much the same.

Disclaimer: I'm sure there are lovely parts of the CDS so please dont shout at me

No no no no no no...yees.. you keep it up Mitzy the less people that come down here and find us the better...
Old Nov 16th 2007, 9:55 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
No no no no no no...yees.. you keep it up Mitzy the less people that come down here and find us the better...
Its far to late for that isn't it
Most of England is down there
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

Ahh yes we stay at an apartment with friends on the Pontiente side just above the Coach & Horses Bar, which wierdly is run by a Spaniard
No kidding! I know the coach & horses well. Do you know the English supermarket in Avda. Almendros round the corner from there? My ex and I own it.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Its far to late for that isn't it
There's a smattering here and there I believe..
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

I was recently checking up on numbers and found there are around 300 000 ex-pats (and others that weren't originally called pat) in the Costa Del Sol!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:08 pm
Senior Moment

No kidding! I know the coach & horses well. Do you know the English supermarket in Avda. Almendros round the corner from there? My ex and I own it.
I dont know the street names I'm afraid
Has the new mercadona hurt you?
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Not at all, it's done the opposite. We've gained new customers from the old town that didn't know we were there as they have to use the one way system to get to Mercadona by car and pass our shop. If you stand with your back to Dove Park and walk up the hill towards Vincents and carry on a few yards more we are on the left just afterwards. Next time you're in the area pop in and say hi!
Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:16 pm
Senior Moment

Not at all, it's done the opposite. We've gained new customers from the old town that didn't know we were there as they have to use the one way system to get to Mercadona by car and pass our shop. If you stand with your back to Dove Park and walk up the hill towards Vincents and carry on a few yards more we are on the left just afterwards. Next time you're in the area pop in and say hi!
I will
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

keddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant futurekeddyboy has a brilliant future

Okay you lot from up North, speaking as someone from CDS, if you do want to live in a Brit enclave then that is your choice. I personally do not live in a town or village but in the campo. It was our choice. However, irrespective of how Spanish you want to be or imagine to be, it is nice every now and then to share the 'mother tongue'.
Do not tell me that Benidorm and Alicante, Denia and Torrevieja areas are Brit free. Dont knock it until you have tried it.
I appreciate that property prices are slightly more expensive down here but at the end of the day 'you pays your money you get your choice'.
We all live throughout Spain for a number of reasons so I wish you all a very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year [earrrrrrrrrrrrly] wherever you all are.[The icon is because we get more sun than you!!] lol.lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.