Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of moving to benidorm and working as a dog groomer

Thinking of moving to benidorm and working as a dog groomer

Old May 25th 2015, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

aturner23750 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Thinking of moving to benidorm and working as a dog groomer

Hi just getting some ideas together at the moment but I would like to move to benidorm in a couple of years once I have enough savings and sell my house, im 27 and will be a qualified dog groomer as of next year. What is the chances of making a business like that work over there? I was thinking I could maybe get a part time bar job and do the grooming on the side? Would Spanish people use a British groomer, and would my landlord allow me to do this from an apartment? I don't want to be rich, I just want to earn enough to be able to live. Obviously these are all ideas at the minute so advice would be useful.
Old May 25th 2015, 3:32 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of moving to benidorm and working as a dog groomer

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 25th 2015, 3:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aturner23750
Hi just getting some ideas together at the moment but I would like to move to benidorm in a couple of years once I have enough savings and sell my house, im 27 and will be a qualified dog groomer as of next year. What is the chances of making a business like that work over there? I was thinking I could maybe get a part time bar job and do the grooming on the side? Would Spanish people use a British groomer, and would my landlord allow me to do this from an apartment? I don't want to be rich, I just want to earn enough to be able to live. Obviously these are all ideas at the minute so advice would be useful.
Your nationality isnt an issue as long as you speak Spanish

I don't think customers would be keen on going to someone's flat. That certainly isnt the done thing in Spain

There are a number of dog grooming places in Spanish cities nowadays as young couples in their late 20s get dogs rather than have children Why don't you research these?
Old May 25th 2015, 4:09 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Many vets and most pet shops already offer grooming. Not sure whether you would need a license either, but I agree that people would think twice about gping to an apartment, even if, and I rather doubt they would, the landlord allows it.
Old May 25th 2015, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

aturner23750 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks but I was thinking along the lines of being a mobile dog groomer and collecting dogs, this is quite a common thing in the UK.
Old May 25th 2015, 5:34 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks but I was thinking along the lines of being a mobile dog groomer and collecting dogs, this is quite a common thing in the UK.
If people care enough about their dogs to pay a dog groomer, I would be surprised if they'll be keen in letting them out of their sight, unless it's with someone they know very well and entirely trust, (if that's what you mean by collecting them).

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; May 25th 2015 at 5:36 pm. Reason: Add on
Old May 25th 2015, 9:04 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

But you still need somewhere to do the grooming..
Old May 27th 2015, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

From the way some of the Spanish treat their dogs, they just throw them away rather than pay for treatment so brits may be best chance of income.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:16 am
Just Joined

starynightsky is an unknown quantity at this point

There are good and bad owners Spanish and British. Some of the most pampered pets I have seen are Spanish owned. Some of the worst abuse or abandonment cases I have seen are British caused. good and bad people everywhere. With regards to dog grooming there will always be a market for it. see if you can ascertain how many groomers are In the area you want to move to and this will give you an idea of already established competition and whether or not your business will have a chance.
Old May 27th 2015, 9:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

You never know how the market will be in a few years, but I'm sure there would be better locations than Benidorm to make money and just earning enough to live won't be exciting after a while. I would research the market first and check the following:
How many registered dogs are in the area?
What type of dogs, so is grooming in demand?
What kind of competition do you have?
How much are the people willing to spend?
You just have to do the calculations and you'll see how much money you've saved in a few years time. It's the same with most businesses and the ones who have more money will always make more money. You're always better off to invest a bit more and be in a decent location.