Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Thinking of buying a property in Spain

Thinking of buying a property in Spain

Old Mar 4th 2015, 1:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Thinking of buying a property in Spain

Originally Posted by wilshb
Hi folks. Just got in from work. There are some really useful and insightful comments on here and thank you all. I'll have a look at Girona as Moses suggests (30 °C is just nice!), but I'm still interested in Camposol & I've contacted Mercer estate agents to give me more info on it, but also on other places.
Well, it's not always 30 °C. Today it's cold and grey, otherwise it can be around 12°C-18°C this time of the year. Don't forget that Spain is not always warm and sunny (even south).
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

If weather is a major factor for you, wunderground is a good site. You can look back into the past.

For example, the lowest temperatures across December, January and February were:

Girona -5
Javea 0
Estepona +6

Quite a variation.

Today Murcia was the warmest place in Spain at 25.

Camposol might look like a desert but if it's winter sun you're after, it's a good option.

Even now in the evening it's 13 vs Barcelona's 7.
Old Mar 4th 2015, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

wilshb is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Horlics
Old Mar 5th 2015, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horlics
If weather is a major factor for you, wunderground is a good site. You can look back into the past.

For example, the lowest temperatures across December, January and February were:

Girona -5
Javea 0
Estepona +6

Quite a variation.

Today Murcia was the warmest place in Spain at 25.

Camposol might look like a desert but if it's winter sun you're after, it's a good option.

Even now in the evening it's 13 vs Barcelona's 7.

With Girona you might mean the city, not the region. Along the coast it's a lot milder, especially away from the mountains. If it's Camposol, then it's Camposol
Old Mar 5th 2015, 7:55 am
Just Joined

Thanks Moses. The weather is only one influencing factor - but having said that, I'd like it to be reasonably nice - but probably not too hot (it can get up to 50°c here in Summer, which is just stupid). I've visited Spain before a few times so I've got a reasonable idea what it's like - hence my assertion that it's probably got to be Southern Spain - I was in Santander last year & it was very like UK weather.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Moses. The weather is only one influencing factor - but having said that, I'd like it to be reasonably nice - but probably not too hot (it can get up to 50°c here in Summer, which is just stupid). I've visited Spain before a few times so I've got a reasonable idea what it's like - hence my assertion that it's probably got to be Southern Spain - I was in Santander last year & it was very like UK weather.
WILS, you need to be in the Costa Blanca South, best weather all year round and cheapest costal property at the moment. Just go for it.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
With Girona you might mean the city, not the region. Along the coast it's a lot milder, especially away from the mountains. If it's Camposol, then it's Camposol
Yes and you have to be careful with the minimum temperatures as that is often the temperature at the top of the mountain where the weather station is

In Oviedo, if the temperature says minimum 2c then actually in the centre of the city it may be more ike 10c

Likewise for Mijas, Granada or most of the Spanish Coast which is sat around mountains. And depending which side of the mountain you are on, then temperature can vary by up to 10c
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Yes and you have to be careful with the minimum temperatures as that is often the temperature at the top of the mountain where the weather station is

In Oviedo, if the temperature says minimum 2c then actually in the centre of the city it may be more ike 10c

Likewise for Mijas, Granada or most of the Spanish Coast which is sat around mountains. And depending which side of the mountain you are on, then temperature can vary by up to 10c
One of the advantages of wunderground.com as posted by Horlics is they show weather stations in the area so you can posssibly be more specific to your chosen location

Click they change station icon near the top of the page to see a map.

Girona, Spain Forecast | Weather Underground
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hey wilshb,

If you are concerned that the weather information may be misleading then you will find wunderground really good. When viewing the information for the particular place you entered, you will see a "change station" option. This will list all of the stations nearby and it draws them on a map showing their exact position, latitude and longitude. Hard to be mistaken with such accuracy, huh.

BTW, I've worked near where you do. Just about the only place in Spain that gets anything like what you have to bear is well inland in Andalucia, and then only for very few weeks of the year. Even at the hottest part of the year, overnight lows are about 19, not the 30+ you're used to at 3 am.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fair enough. The climate in Santander is different to the Costa Brava, because it's Atlantic coastline and is classed oceanic. Indeed very similar to the UK with less sunshine and more rain. The Costa Brava climate is typically Mediterranean, so mild and temperate with hot dry summers and moderately cold winters. It's always personal choice, however the same weather pattern and scenery can also get boring. At first I was just considering the South and Costa Brava was always too pricey for me, but when it became a buyers market I researched Costa Brava again. If you know where to look, you can still find some great value and the region will always be more desirable. There are also plenty of other nice areas in Spain, no doubt.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Fred,

I only get to see what CM and Moses post when someone quotes them so wasn't aware of the dozy comments about which side of the mountain.

It's a weather station, we know where it is!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by cricketman

Yes the weather stats are very misleading. A lot of people also forget that you could be in a warmer location, but actually get less sun. Reasons could be that it's cloudier, sun is blocked by mountains, buildings etc.
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

So anyway, it's narrowed down to southern-ish Spain. Wilsman - I'll look at Costa Blanca South.
Thanks!
Old Mar 5th 2015, 1:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So anyway, it's narrowed down to southern-ish Spain. Wilsman - I'll look at Costa Blanca South.
Thanks!
As long as it's not Camposol
Old Mar 5th 2015, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
As long as it's not Camposol
you would'nt want to live in the middle of a desert........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.