Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things we hate about Spain......

Things we hate about Spain......

Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:32 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things we hate about Spain......

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Is that like the myth that everyone who moves to Spain has a villa with a pool?

Just thought of another myth - no need to learn Spanish because they all speak English.

Rosemary
No, you don't need to talk spanish cause there are enough brits to talk to.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:35 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lochy
No, you don't need to talk spanish cause there are enough brits to talk to.
Not where we live. Brit free - well apart from us.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

From my experiences of visiting various friends on the CDS who live on different urbanisations, the myth of Brits on full time holiday is alive and well.

As to "no need to learn Spanish because they all speak English". This is true when the only people they ever meet/speak to are fellow Brits.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:41 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by big wheels
From my experiences of visiting various friends on the CDS who live on different urbanisations, the myth of Brits on full time holiday is alive and well.

As to "no need to learn Spanish because they all speak English". This is true when the only people they ever meet/speak to are fellow Brits.
But CDS is not the whole of Spain.

Different people - different strokes - different needs - different areas.

Rosemary
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Is that like the myth that everyone who moves to Spain has a villa with a pool?
Rosemary
Well I have and I also live on an urb but there are no pissheads flying around and its not fully inhabited by Brits. I have Spanish neighbours on one side, there are Germans, Dutch, French .....

Urbs are not all lines of boxes overlooking each other with people sitting out in their gardens getting pissed all the time. Some are thoughtfully done and those are where you also find the locals
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:43 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Lochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of lightLochy is a glorious beacon of light

Depends where you go I assume. If you decide to live in Avila, then you'll probably have to learn the lingo. And you probvably wouldn't want a pool! On most costas though, you'll won't have to bother as you'll be too busy with a cocktail by your pool.

The urban spread is advancing ever northward though. You may not be safe for much longet in Valencia, Rosemary.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

But CDS is not the whole of Spain.

Different people - different strokes - different needs - different areas.
Rosemary
You are preaching to the converted That's why we bought well away from the CDS

[QUOTE=Mitzyboy;Urbs are not all lines of boxes overlooking each other with people sitting out in their gardens getting pissed all the time. Some are thoughtfully done and those are where you also find the locals[/QUOTE]

Point taken
But you must admit that a great number are just like that.

Last edited by big wheels; Jun 16th 2007 at 10:57 pm.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well I have and I also live on an urb but there are no pissheads flying around and its not fully inhabited by Brits. I have Spanish neighbours on one side, there are Germans, Dutch, French .....

Urbs are not all lines of boxes overlooking each other with people sitting out in their gardens getting pissed all the time. Some are thoughtfully done and those are where you also find the locals
Same where we live mitzy, also loads of Spanish.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:05 pm
The Best Fed Scot

Sounds like a good life to me.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 11:43 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Our village is mainly Spanish; about half-a-dozen Brit families (mostly single or couples) and one Dutch lady.

We do not have a pool, or even any land!

We have been speaking to some new Brit arrivals today - don't think they will last long, their attitude is wrong, especially with the old lady next to them who is frightened of their dog.

Her preferences should come before theirs or their dog's any day, imho. Never mind them getting ar$y because she doesn't like the dog. Just keep it away from her.

She has lived her life here, not come as an immigrant.

:curse::curse:
Old Jun 17th 2007, 5:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

That's what the majority of Brits who move to Spain do isn't it??
That's why I would never consider living on an urb.
a lot do.......but that has nothing to with living in any particular place

in any case our urb is predominantly spanish - our kids (& 1 other) are currently the only english ones living here

Last edited by lynnxa; Jun 17th 2007 at 5:52 am.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 10:26 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

You are preaching to the converted That's why we bought well away from the CDS
Point taken
But you must admit that a great number are just like that.
Well I have seen them on TV for sure, but there aren't many like that around here. Small developments in Town. This Urb is more like a village. Theres no Urb charges, no real central point and the houses are spaced. I just don't think we should generalise about Urb life ..... They are not all the same, and they are not all Brit orientated

Originally Posted by jdr
Same where we live mitzy, also loads of Spanish.
Yes exactly ........ Its a nice atmosphere here due to the different nationalities
Old Jun 17th 2007, 11:08 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Heres our Urbanization out the way but close to everything.
Attached Thumbnails Things we hate about Spain......-my-urb.jpg  
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:29 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

What don't I like about Spain?

Animal cruelty is my main issue.....plus the anti-Roma racism that's still alive and flourishing....and being taught to the next generation as soon as they're old enough to walk.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:33 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Too many welsh there for my liking!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.