Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:06 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things that are more expensive in Spain?

Originally Posted by cricketman
Though personally I dont think you should scrimp on shoes, its like buying cheap tyres for your car
True but if you are buying for the kids they grow out of them in a year!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:10 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I ask, where the hell do these guys shop?

And I love the way you extrapolate your findings to the "whole of Spain"

You can get cheap shoes at Zara, Springfield etc etc. Though personally I dont think you should scrimp on shoes, its like buying cheap tyres for your car

At the top end Spanish shoes are the best in the world. I'm a big fan of Camper. And have some handmade shoes from Menorca for special occasions.
Why are you directing this post at me?

I just made a joke? Blame it on the still waiting for a sense of humour bypass on the SS.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:23 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I ask, where the hell do these guys shop?

And I love the way you extrapolate your findings to the "whole of Spain"

You can get cheap shoes at Zara, Springfield etc etc. Though personally I dont think you should scrimp on shoes, its like buying cheap tyres for your car

At the top end Spanish shoes are the best in the world. I'm a big fan of Camper. And have some handmade shoes from Menorca for special occasions.
Couldn't agree more, I've always bought Church's in UK but I don't use them much in Spain (always in sandals now). The issue, though, is that children grow so fast that we are finding that we have to buy a new pair every 12 months - sometimes 2 pairs!

Living in the campo, we have to make a big, concious decision to visit Valencia and do 'proper' shopping. Then we have to add the cost of fuel and the 2 hour travel time to the equation.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 9:10 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snikpoh
The issue, though, is that children grow so fast that we are finding that we have to buy a new pair every 12 months - sometimes 2 pairs!
There was an article in Telegraph recently about a UK shoemaker providing handmade kids shoes that could be sent back and re-sized. I think were about 40 quid.

Not sure if these are them www.greenshoes.co.uk
Old Oct 21st 2011, 10:55 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lynn R
Unless you plan to travel back to the UK quite often, I'd suggest stocking up on clothes before you move. Although cheap clothes can be bought in Spain, they are very poor quality and decent ones cost more than they can be bought for in the UK, particularly if you shop in the sales or designer outlets.

Over-the-counter medicines like paracetamol, ibuprofen and cold remedies can also be bought much cheaper from supermarkets or pound shops in the UK - they are only sold in farmacias here and although you can buy stronger ones, you will pay a lot more than the 20p or so that the pound shops charge for generic paracetamol.

If you have favourite brands of hair care products, toiletries etc it may be worth bringing a supply of them with you, as they could be difficult to find here. Not necessarily more expensive though, I use Clarins skincare products and they are quite a bit cheaper to buy from the Primor shops than they are in the UK.

Small electrical items like hairdryers, toasters, irons etc can be bought more cheaply in the UK.
El Corte Ingles have there Oportunidades shops in which you can buy some fantastic clothes at very cheap prices, you do have to route around a bit though but certainly worth it. Lloyds polo's and trousers for 6 euros cannot be bad and great offers on their Zendra make of clothes.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann
El Corte Ingles have there Oportunidades shops in which you can buy some fantastic clothes at very cheap prices, you do have to route around a bit though but certainly worth it. Lloyds polo's and trousers for 6 euros cannot be bad and great offers on their Zendra make of clothes.
Yes, I've been to the one behind Bauhaus in Malaga and have bought a couple of things there, but it's a bit of a lottery as to whether you can find anything or not and as I don't drive I can't often be bothered to catch 2 buses each way and spend over an hour getting there. That's my fault not theirs, though!
Old Oct 21st 2011, 2:54 pm

anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Why dont you just let all your toenails grow to the same lenght then cut them straight across, then the squared fronted shoes would be ideal
Hmmm so damn easy, Why didn't I think of that?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:34 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anonimouse
Hmmm so damn easy, Why didn't I think of that?
Just remember it is not a good look with sandals though.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Just remember it is not a good look with sandals though.
But maybe marginally better than wearing socks with them?
Old Oct 21st 2011, 6:45 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lynn R
But maybe marginally better than wearing socks with them?
no no no it is better to wear the socks than show equilateral toenails.....
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

LOL at comments that you can't get reasonably priced, decent clothes in Spain.

From New York to New Delhi, people are lining up to shop at Zara stores.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 7:22 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
LOL at comments that you can't get reasonably priced, decent clothes in Spain.

From New York to New Delhi, people are lining up to shop at Zara stores.
Yes the Inditex group is doing very well, but I bet that most posters on here would not be able to use Zara clothes, the sizes are very small, they are slightly bigger in the UK.

Most of the workers in the logistics centre in Rio Do Pozo, say that clothes are made in certain sizes, and if a larger size in required for knitwear, to complete an order, they are instructed to "iron it bigger".

So after a wash the garment seems to shrink when in fact it goes back to the size it was meant to be.
Old Oct 21st 2011, 8:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Yes the Inditex group is doing very well, but I bet that most posters on here would not be able to use Zara clothes, the sizes are very small, they are slightly bigger in the UK.

Most of the workers in the logistics centre in Rio Do Pozo, say that clothes are made in certain sizes, and if a larger size in required for knitwear, to complete an order, they are instructed to "iron it bigger".

So after a wash the garment seems to shrink when in fact it goes back to the size it was meant to be.
Mmmm that has got the wife thinking, but I don`t think I could stand the heat.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

LG are a very good budget brand, I've a 42" in the back room and a 32" in my bedroom and the display is as bright and crisp as the big Sony in the lounge although I did need to play around with the contrast/brightness control more to start with on the LG sets.

Some foods in Spain cost more, certainly if you stick to 'UK' brands but you can often find equivalent products for about the same price, Lidl is your friend. Fresh fruit and veg can be cheaper but watch out for the quality and shop early for things like salad products. Tomato's look worse than the perfect ones in the UK but taste much better. Meat is overall more in Spain, certainly for beef and lamb. The overall range of supermarket food is much less than a big UK store but if your eating Spanish dishes you'll save money over the UK.

If you like making curries then take a load of spices with you, they are not always easy to get and the prices can be sky high when you find them so stock up on your 500gm/1kg packs from your local Asian store before you go. I found kitchen ware, pans etc cheap in Spain so only take your Tefal frying pans. I'm only in Spain part time and in different locations but the above is what I've found to be the case overall. Other people can be more area specific I'm sure.
Old Oct 22nd 2011, 7:29 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'd agree with taking Asian spices for curries etc. See also tea bags. Printed materials, books and newspapers, tend to be more expensive in Spain but now you have the internet (and Amazon) I suppose that is less relevant.
As for shoes, I'm amazed by how many different shoe shops you can find in a big city like Madrid. Obviously if you're headed to a village or small town, the choice is going to be limited, but that's equally the case in the UK. Difference is that you may be a lot further from a decent sized city.
I have to admit that I found the quality of clothes eg trousers, to be not so good in places like El Corte Ingles or Zara. It seems to be a trend everywhere though to sell cheap clobber put together in the far East. At one time M&S used to use British suppliers, but they've had to move with the times. Best to stock up with clothes from someone you already know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.