Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there please an IT expert out there?

Is there please an IT expert out there?

Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is there please an IT expert out there?

We are downsizing and have come across a Canon Digital Video Camcorder MV 700 which uses mini DV cassettes.

They reveal images of dear family members and friends who are no longer with us. Show family weddings and get togethers and indeed our family animals.

They capture so treasured moments. Indeed one of our friends has left us and his funeral is in the UK next Tuesday.

They are so important to us as joint families.

How please can we convert these to a format which is easily viewed by the family?

We obviously will pay for this or make a contribution to the charity of your choice.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:37 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there please an IT expert out there?

Originally Posted by Porth
How please can we convert these to a format which is easily viewed by the family?
It looks like you want someone to do it for you. If you want to do it yourself.........
The camera will probably have a firewire output. Do you have a computer with a firewire input? If not firewire cards can be had fairly cheaply. Then you need video editing software. e.g Adobe Premier Elements can be had for around $80.00. You can output to DVD, web, or a variety of video formats.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks is there anyone out there please who can do this for us?

best wishes

These images are too important to lose.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 5:42 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

I would think that most good photo shops will be able to do this & as well as putting them all onto the format you wish will also print them off as regular pictures.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks we know somewhere in Javea will chat to them tomorrow

thanks again
Old Jul 20th 2015, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Porth,

You need one of these:
Amazon Amazon

As said, Firewire is also an option. I also have firewire hardware that plays DV tapes so could do it that way.

I have one of the above gadgets but it is in the UK and I won't be able to bring it here until October. I live in Javea and if you can wait until then I'll do it for you.

We have the possibility of some visitors late August who, if they come, will bring it with them for me.

I'd check how much you'd have to pay to get it done. If it's too expensive, you can wait for me.
Old Jul 20th 2015, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

If your memories are really precious and you are prepared to pay then you might try:

Mini DV to DVD / Digital Conversion Service - UK Company

Or similar. Note: No commercial connection.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 7:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Horlics
Hi Porth,

You need one of these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o00_s00

As said, Firewire is also an option. I also have firewire hardware that plays DV tapes so could do it that way.

I have one of the above gadgets but it is in the UK and I won't be able to bring it here until October. I live in Javea and if you can wait until then I'll do it for you.

We have the possibility of some visitors late August who, if they come, will bring it with them for me.

I'd check how much you'd have to pay to get it done. If it's too expensive, you can wait for me.
Dear Horlics you are so kind and very generous. May I please think this over? We have family coming over this Thursday from Bristol to Alicante and with grandchildren. One of whom is on the cassette at two years of age.

But once more my sincere thanks
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

Sure just PM me if you decide you need the help and can wait.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Will do Horlics but we have found the article on the Amazon es web site.

Hopefully will be with us tomorrow. Then over to my expert to see if she can get it to work. Lost on me I am afraid just a now almost retired and aged lawyer!

Thanks Horlics for your superb help in all of this

best wishes
Old Jul 21st 2015, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Without in any way disparaging Horlics generous offer - if the memories are precious to you then it's really worth considering the professional option.

I converted a load of Digital8 tapes to DVD using a Firewire kit and a software package. The conversion was pretty straightforward once I got the hang of it and I transferred all the tapes. However, that was the trouble - I had digital copy of my originals - warts and all, pauses, shakes, blank bits and everything. I did some editing and tried to add chapters and titles to make the recordings more watchable. That was when I discovered that for all my technical aptitude I just didn't have the media skills to make a decent job of it. Have you ever tried to find copyright free background music, for example? I've ended up a bit disappointed.

Looking at the service that the professional offers (see my link) and I have no commercial relationship with this or any other firm - for a relatively small amount - around £20 for a consolidated DVD with a load of editing and tidying - seems a really good deal to me. Given a second chance then that's the route I'd take. In fact this thread has prompted me to consider having the tapes redone professionally. After all you cant afford to mess up you memories.
Old Jul 21st 2015, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that the tapes would still be available following the conversion so that if you then wished to engage a professional to make an all singing all dancing version you could do that at your leisure whilst knowing that you had the originals secured.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Without in any way disparaging Horlics generous offer - if the memories are precious to you then it's really worth considering the professional option.

I converted a load of Digital8 tapes to DVD using a Firewire kit and a software package. The conversion was pretty straightforward once I got the hang of it and I transferred all the tapes. However, that was the trouble - I had digital copy of my originals - warts and all, pauses, shakes, blank bits and everything. I did some editing and tried to add chapters and titles to make the recordings more watchable. That was when I discovered that for all my technical aptitude I just didn't have the media skills to make a decent job of it. Have you ever tried to find copyright free background music, for example? I've ended up a bit disappointed.

Looking at the service that the professional offers (see my link) and I have no commercial relationship with this or any other firm - for a relatively small amount - around £20 for a consolidated DVD with a load of editing and tidying - seems a really good deal to me. Given a second chance then that's the route I'd take. In fact this thread has prompted me to consider having the tapes redone professionally. After all you cant afford to mess up you memories.
Of course Horlics is so generous (very) Having viewed again the cassettes whilst not priceless have so many memories. Too many to take a risk indeed.

We will now re-think our positioning and in so doing once more express our sincere thanks to Horlics and his generosity.
Old Jul 22nd 2015, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

We have now decided to go down the professional route.

However we are risk averse and things happen but please does anyone have the details of a courier as against those good guys who go back and fore to the UK and provide a great service.

There are images+ of those who are no longer with us so I do hope Horlics you will understand our decision making process.

thanks