Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there a living to be made out of B&B in Spain?

Is there a living to be made out of B&B in Spain?

Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Confused?Moi? is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there a living to be made out of B&B in Spain?

I am a widow with 2 teenage sons and need to make a new life abroad for me and them. I am considering relocating to France or Spain. To those of you who live in Spain - do you think that running a small Bed & Breakfast is a viable option these days considering that so many North Europeans live there/have second homes there? I know this is quite an abstract question but I have to start somewhere.....
Old Nov 7th 2005, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is there a living to be made out of B&B in Spain?

Originally Posted by Confused?Moi?
I am a widow with 2 teenage sons and need to make a new life abroad for me and them. I am considering relocating to France or Spain. To those of you who live in Spain - do you think that running a small Bed & Breakfast is a viable option these days considering that so many North Europeans live there/have second homes there? I know this is quite an abstract question but I have to start somewhere.....
Hello confused?Moi?
well where do I start? like nay new venture you have to start somewhere, so take a look at this site...

B&B in Spain

As you can see there are a lot of them, but if you were to offer something a little bit different then then you could be quids in so to speak, have you done this sort of thing before? where in Spain do you want to settle, remembering that you have children, to cater for, schools, friends, social life, and the rest of the things you want for yourself, the children etc.

Not wanting to put dampers on your dream a lot of the posters on this site are living here in Spain, some of us come to Spain to holiday homes, or spend six months of the year here, or even like yourself are thinking about the move here. Unlike France we have better weather here during the winter, although it does get cold at night.

If you could give more information it would help to give you better information,

Good luck

David SR
Old Nov 8th 2005, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

svenskidoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes you can make a living is the answer, but that depends on how well you do your marketing and get the word out.

Things usually take time. If you tie up with local estate agents that will also help a lot initially.

The standard of accomodation and price will also be important factors on how well you do.

It all depends on budget and how much you can put aside to live on whilst the business gets going.

Some people do very well, a lot don't.

Think carefully about location, the property you want to buy, etc.

Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Confused?Moi? is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my question. It is obviously a matter now of research, research, research....I'm glad I found this site as I find the people on this particular forum to be very helpful and informative. Thanks again....
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my question. It is obviously a matter now of research, research, research....I'm glad I found this site as I find the people on this particular forum to be very helpful and informative. Thanks again....
Confused?Moi?

Did you find out anything extra? We are considering using a couple of rooms in our house to make a bit of extra money and wondered:

Is there is an organisation which determines standards and practices?
Or a set of national/local laws which covers the operation of B&Bs.

Anything required in such an environment, which would be too difficult for us to comply with, would put the paid to the idea, so I'm trying to find out about that as an early step.