Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough
Default Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

before I come over this time to stay permanently is there anything that us brits can't find in the local shops? Specifically foodstuffs as I'm bringing quite a lot over anyway and was gonna do one final shop at Asda before I set off. I'll be by myself until at least the end of Feb - just me and my Dog, so don't want to go without anything!!
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Thought of something already... Is dried dogfood in big sacks available over there?
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:26 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy everything over here even Brit plaster if needed, but if you are wise you will stick clear of Brit shops and buy Spanish equivalents, even Iceland is lowering it`s prices to compete now.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

having been there a few times already just wanted to make sure once i'm there permanently theres not gonna be anything I like that I'll have to do without... Not looking forward to my journey down with my dog in the back - he'll be going mental all the way there as he doesn't like motorbikes, wagons or policemen...... soon as he sees them he just bounces about in the back! Out of the landrover he's fine, just when he's in it, its HIS! And he'll protect it no matter what.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:39 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

The missus shopped at Iceland yesterday and it filled up the fridge and freezer to breaking point. I went to bed before she did last night and went to check the fridge this morning because I knew that there was a packet of six pork pies in there.

I searched everywhere but they had gone. When I questioned the guilty party, she denied having bought any pork pies, my favourites. But she had the decency to blush.

I got my revenge, I’ve just eaten three of her chocolate ice lollies.

I feel a bit sick now.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkplug
before I come over this time to stay permanently is there anything that us brits can't find in the local shops? Specifically foodstuffs as I'm bringing quite a lot over anyway and was gonna do one final shop at Asda before I set off. I'll be by myself until at least the end of Feb - just me and my Dog, so don't want to go without anything!!
Tea bags, they are available, but not in many Spanish shops, and they are expensive, Iceland the best place for them. I would bring a shed load if you are a tea drinker. It's spomething visitors always brought us.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Tea bags - good thinking!
wouldn't have thought anywhere would stock yorkshire tea in spain.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Tea bags - good thinking!
wouldn't have thought anywhere would stock yorkshire tea in spain.
Especially if you can find cheap deals before you move, we just paid £2.42 for 240 PG tips.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Especially if you can find cheap deals before you move, we just paid £2.42 for 240 PG tips.
looks like I'l be exporting a few thousand bags of tea then. least they won't take up much space like the fridge, telly, washing machine, beds, computer, desks etc...
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

jdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to alljdunbavin is a name known to all

Joint of ham, to make honey roast ham.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:30 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

having been there a few times already just wanted to make sure once i'm there permanently theres not gonna be anything I like that I'll have to do without... Not looking forward to my journey down with my dog in the back - he'll be going mental all the way there as he doesn't like motorbikes, wagons or policemen...... soon as he sees them he just bounces about in the back! Out of the landrover he's fine, just when he's in it, its HIS! And he'll protect it no matter what.
The police in Spain aren’t keen on uncaged dogs in the backs of cars. I suggest you wear a short skirt for the drive.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:42 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
The missus shopped at Iceland yesterday and it filled up the fridge and freezer to breaking point. I went to bed before she did last night and went to check the fridge this morning because I knew that there was a packet of six pork pies in there.

I searched everywhere but they had gone. When I questioned the guilty party, she denied having bought any pork pies, my favourites. But she had the decency to blush.

I got my revenge, I’ve just eaten three of her chocolate ice lollies.

I feel a bit sick now.
I remember being astonished when my flat-mate of the time bought a pork pie from Carrefour. If there was one British product I thought would never be available it would be this. It's strange - there are any number of pork products in Spain (almost a religion here), but I did miss sausage rolls when I lived there. I didn't miss "proper" bacon so much as the lomo was so good.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:49 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Incidentally I always found the "todo a cien" style Chinese shops great places to look in for shopping purposes. Not only were the prices incredibly cheap, but you'd also find stuff manufactured in China that was aimed at all western markets (not just Spain), so you'd find products you'd never know where to obtain in spain.
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:53 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I have yet to think of anything I cant get here that I could from the UK. Lenor Fabric conditioner, pop tarts and "english tasting" diet coke (not coke light, that tastes different) were the only things that I struggled with and then I found Iceland/Waitrose supermarket in Fuengirola which does it all and more.

However, Mercadona, Supersol and Carrefour have everything else covered - even Brobat Bleach!!!!

Jo xxx
Old Nov 26th 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HBG
The police in Spain aren’t keen on uncaged dogs in the backs of cars. I suggest you wear a short skirt for the drive.
he's too big for a cage so he gets trapped in the boot behind a mesh grille.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.