Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there anything hard to find at the shops?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I remember coming across a bakery in north Madrid that made mince pies one year ... but the price was astronomical
You can easily make your own mincemeat with ingredients that are readily available in Spain (tho' suet is something I wouldn't recognise in spanish shops - anyone?). Basically dried fruit: sultanas etc. some orange / lemon peel - grated fine + juice, brown sugar and either suet or an alternative type of fat. Frozen pre-made pastry is available in supermarkets.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
You can easily make your own mincemeat with ingredients that are readily available in Spain (tho' suet is something I wouldn't recognise in spanish shops - anyone?). Basically dried fruit: sultanas etc. some orange / lemon peel - grated fine + juice, brown sugar and either suet or an alternative type of fat. Frozen pre-made pastry is available in supermarkets.
If you can't get suet 'in a box' as you are probably used to it then just go to a butcher and get a slice of the 'real' stuff!
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
If you can't get suet 'in a box' as you are probably used to it then just go to a butcher and get a slice of the 'real' stuff!
Yes Ive done this before in mercadona-I think they call it sebo and if I remember they chop it off from around the joint area, then you have to grate it afterwards.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought.I cannot get bbq spare ribs from the chinese.The really rich sauce.Ummmm!

What I would give for some of that sauce.I have asked but they just dont seem to recognise it.Still, will work my way around and you never know.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Yes Ive done this before in mercadona-I think they call it sebo and if I remember they chop it off from around the joint area, then you have to grate it afterwards.
I ask for it from around the kidneys, don't know why but I remember something from my childhood where it was mentioned but as long as it works then that is what is important.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paintermujer
Just thought.I cannot get bbq spare ribs from the chinese.The really rich sauce.Ummmm!

What I would give for some of that sauce.I have asked but they just dont seem to recognise it.Still, will work my way around and you never know.
If you don't mind a bit of experimentation in the kitchen, it's possible to replicate that gloopy rich stuff.... I can't give you a recipe cos I'm a 'bung it in differently each time' merchant, but soy sauce, honey, star anise, sherry/wine, bit of balsamic vinegar, tomato ketchup, all feature on my list!