Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A terrifying year ahead?

A terrifying year ahead?

Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:02 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default A terrifying year ahead?

Will 2012 be a terrifying year? An able historian seems to think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Dark-Age.html

The writer is not a Daily Mail journalist.

Is it sensible to compare 1931 with 2011? Whether it's sensible or not, I hope 2012 does not turn out like 1932. History does not always have to repeat itself, surely?
Old Dec 31st 2011, 8:17 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A terrifying year ahead?

Amazing how they can predict up coming trouble but none could predict the crash begin... Lets hope 2012 is like the 1930's and we end up in a bitter struggle, some of us are armed!
Old Dec 31st 2011, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Amazing how they can predict up coming trouble but none could predict the crash begin... !
That's the thing that always gets me not one of them in 2006/2007 told us what was coming from whatever statistics they were looking at, yet we are supposed to believe that they can see what's coming? Right
Old Dec 31st 2011, 5:09 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, seems we should all be shaking in our boots at the latest offering from the Ministry of Doom and Gloom.

Apart from the continuing decline of the Eurozone and Western civilisation in general, possibly the two most crucial areas will be the Middle East where the Iranians are beginning to flex their muscles bigtime and Russia where it seems like Putins number is up, though somehow I don't see him moving over quietly.

The Chinese will continue with their stealthy march towards global dominance, though looking on the bright side it could be a few years yet before we're all political prisoners slaving for a bowl of rice a day.

Meanwhile I think you can rest assured HBG that we won't have any need to nuke Buenos Aires,....well not just yet anyway.

No doubt we can also look forward to the DM carrying on cheering us up on a daily basis with its never ending good news stories about the UK and Spain.
Old Dec 31st 2011, 6:07 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I thought Dominic Sandbrook, a historian, presented a reasonably argued article comparing European events 80 years ago, and now.

I must admit I was startled by the many similarities, economic disaster leading to nationalism and closed borders. I have slightly more faith in historians than economists.

Especially after reading about that horrible man who got as gong from Cameron today for making 100 million betting on Northern Rock going down.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 10:01 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Will 2012 be a terrifying year? An able historian seems to think so.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Dark-Age.html

The writer is not a Daily Mail journalist.

Is it sensible to compare 1931 with 2011? Whether it's sensible or not, I hope 2012 does not turn out like 1932. History does not always have to repeat itself, surely?
but if we do start to compare 1931 and 2011 what do we have to look forward to........
another major war (who with ?)
a period of recovery and growth
more immigration
more migration

nothing changes except the dates and the quality of advertising
Old Jan 1st 2012, 11:40 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I do wonder sometimes if we are the victims of an enormous hoax, designed so that all our money goes to the banksters and other rich folk. And maybe not just the rich - it's reported that an extra 2 million people flew between Spain and the UK in 2011.
Even with all the people being hit hard by recession in Spain, the sale of luxury branded goods is expected to have risen by 25% in 2011 (article in Spanish) - although the article does make it clear that rich tourists are big buyers of luxury items in Spain. No wonder Apple are opening up stores in the major Spanish cities.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepieco_4/Tes
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:06 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I do wonder sometimes if we are the victims of an enormous hoax, designed so that all our money goes to the banksters and other rich folk. And maybe not just the rich - it's reported that an extra 2 million people flew between Spain and the UK in 2011.
Even with all the people being hit hard by recession in Spain, the sale of luxury branded goods is expected to have risen by 25% in 2011 (article in Spanish) - although the article does make it clear that rich tourists are big buyers of luxury items in Spain. No wonder Apple are opening up stores in the major Spanish cities.

http://www.elpais.com/articulo/econo...lpepieco_4/Tes
ISTR during one of the previous recessions that there was comment about the appallingly high level of unemployment in the Newcastle area, where 95% or something of all the Ferrari's were registered.

what do you want the figures to tell you and I will make them give you the answer......
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
ISTR during one of the previous recessions that there was comment about the appallingly high level of unemployment in the Newcastle area, where 95% or something of all the Ferrari's were registered.

what do you want the figures to tell you and I will make them give you the answer......

Statistics, statistics.........
Old Jan 1st 2012, 3:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly

Meanwhile I think you can rest assured HBG that we won't have any need to nuke Buenos Aires,....well not just yet anyway.
Back in 82 my answer to the Falklands invasion was to drop a dummy nuclear weapon into the centre of Buenos Aires with a message giving them 24 hours to get out of the Falklands otherwise the next one would be live.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 5:02 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The head of the British Army said recently that the next war would be economic, not military, and that bankrupt countries cannot defend themselves. That makes sense to me.

The heads of the various European countries are all predicting that 2012 will be a lot worse than 2011, and the year just passed wasn't a great one. Austerity is an ugly word, and that's all you hear nowadays; cuts, cuts and more cuts.

I'm down to two Mars bars a week.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are great at telling us what we already know these politicians pity they are crap at forewarning us.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

2012...... well if I wake in the morning with a pulse and my wife does the same and we continue to do that ......it's not going to be a bad year
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:04 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunmovin
2012...... well if I wake in the morning with a pulse and my wife does the same and we continue to do that ......it's not going to be a bad year
I think that's about all we can hope for at the moment. You're male then?
Old Jan 1st 2012, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by HBG
The head of the British Army said recently that the next war would be economic, not military, and that bankrupt countries cannot defend themselves. That makes sense to me.

The heads of the various European countries are all predicting that 2012 will be a lot worse than 2011, and the year just passed wasn't a great one. Austerity is an ugly word, and that's all you hear nowadays; cuts, cuts and more cuts.

I'm down to two Mars bars a week.
I am sure they will be the first to the trough when it comes to salary review and getting their exes in on time.
Austerity does not apply to politicians only to the general public.
Seems the only thing a politician can forecast with any accuracy, after all they can't get their own national economy right.

See even HBG is down to 2 Mars bars, things are getting tough, bet his local politician has a whole box.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.