Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telfonica home station EXTENDER

Telfonica home station EXTENDER

Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:16 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Telfonica home station EXTENDER

i have customers with the Telefonica home station ADSL .when i set it up I had it running 2 laptops,a pc and a kindle all WIFI without a problem
BUT that was with them in same room ...when moved downstairs (under a modern concrete floor) the signal went down to one bar ....

what can i get that works with this Telefonica unit .... i know they are out there but would rather have someone in spain that has done this ...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 8:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telfonica home station EXTENDER

Try this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA281KIT...212560&sr=8-11

Works straight out of the box - no setup required.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:11 am
Banned

thanks for that ...do you use it in spain on a telefonica line??
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:34 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It shouldn't matter what line you have. It just extends the range of your existing wireless router using the house wiring.

I have Telefonica ADSL with a D-Link router
Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:55 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It shouldn't matter what line you have. It just extends the range of your existing wireless router using the house wiring.

I have Telefonica ADSL with a D-Link router
ooh I found one of those in a box of stuff - my late husband had bought it & never used it

I thought that was what it's for

do I plug it in near the router or in the room I want the signal boosted to?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:19 am

You should have two plugs. If it's the WiFi version they are slightly different.

The smaller one plugs in near your router and you take a normal network cable from the router to the plug.

The larger plug plugs in wherever you want to WiFi signal. It also has a network socket on the bottom so you can hardwire a device to it as well.

There is no setup involved - it works out of the box. It will create a new WiFi network called TPLINK and it uses the same WiFi password as the main router.

You can unplug it and move it around the house. It will all work OK as soon as you plug it back in in a different location.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:29 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

You should have two plugs. If it's the WiFi version they are slightly different.

The smaller one plugs in near your router and you take a normal network cable from the router to the plug.

The larger plug plugs in wherever you want to WiFi signal. It also has a network socket on the bottom so you can hardwire a device to it as well.

There is no setup involved - it works out of the box. It will create a new WiFi network called TPLINK and it uses the same WiFi password as the main router.

You can unplug it and move it around the house. It will all work OK as soon as you plug it back in in a different location.
hmm only seem to have one
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:30 am
Banned

thanks fred .... i was thinking that if you got it from englland it will have one of their plugs on it ,so would i need a uk-spain adapter to plug it in here
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:33 am

It did come from the UK but it works OK with a plug converter.

Contrary to what it says in the instructions, you can also plug it into a power strip extension so long as it isn't the sort that has surge protection built in.

I have used it on the end of a 50m extension cable!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:43 am
Just Joined

robinspain is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
not quite the same item, but ive just bought today from amazon.es a pair for 28 euros. they are not the wireless extender type, but normal ones but thought id let you know...
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:53 am

Yes, they are getting cheaper by the day. However Amazon.es don't do the WiFi version which is why I got mine from the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

I don't have wireless ones, so I just plugged in a spare router. As long as you plug the cable into one of the Ethernet ports, everything will be on the same LAN (asssuming your router has access point functionality). I've got my Apple TV and Internet radio plugged into the router.

Also, following the recent change by Sky allowing Anytime + on any network, I've got my Sky box using the router as well (sky box doesn't have wireless). However to use Anytime + you have to flash your main router with DD-WRT so you can run a UK proxy server through it, Sky seem to be geoblocking.

Last edited by CapnBilly; Jul 14th 2012 at 11:52 am. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

CapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud ofCapnBilly has much to be proud of

You could also try checking the signal in different positions and different channels. If you use something like Metageek Inssider (free- just google it ). It will tell you what wireless signals are being received and the channels they are on. If there's a signal on the same channel it will cause interference. Also if the router is on an outside wall it will be leaking the signal. You can try and amplify it simply by covering a plate with foil and placing it behind the router. Inssider is brilliant for showing you how the signal changes.

I don't know what the Telefonica system is, but I have linksys Wrt 54gl in my under build and I get a signal of about 54 upstairs which is adequate. I get a signal of about 30 from the upstairs router plugged into the extenders.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:14 pm

Another option is this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Univ...2267542&sr=8-1

It's stand alone - doesn't use homeplugs. It picks up the normal WiFi connection and extends it. The nice feature is that it has 4 ethernet ports on it. I have it sitting under the TV connected to the Smart TV, Apple TV, Humax and BluRay player. Works fine. It doesn't interfere with the other network coming off the homeplug system.

As you say, your solution gets round the problem of UK TV services being blocked in Spain but not all routers support DD-WRT.

Strangely, using the Humax, ITV Player is not blocked but BBC is.

All this tech stuff might seem out of place on a Spain forum but the day is probably coming when UK satellite TV may not be available any more and these Internet options will become much more common.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:12 pm
Banned

It did come from the UK but it works OK with a plug converter.

Contrary to what it says in the instructions, you can also plug it into a power strip extension so long as it isn't the sort that has surge protection built in.

I have used it on the end of a 50m extension cable!
thanks for that . my other concern is that where you have normally a ´ring main ´ in england ,spain dont use em and they all go back to the main board directly...but as you have used it in a normal spanish house and it work it seems this is not a problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.