Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Telegraph Spain bashing ....... again

Telegraph Spain bashing ....... again

Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telegraph Spain bashing ....... again

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
"The country's interior minister, Jorge Fernández Díaz, singled out an icon of the Virgin Mary, in Málaga, to receive the gold medal of police merit – which is normally reserved for police who have died in terrorist attacks."

They couldn't run a P155up in a brewery. No wonder the country is in such a state
Says a lot about the Police here.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:10 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
Taking 2007 as a starting point, I have personally lost around a third of my British income and my house is worth half of what it was then.

I lived in Spain long before that but any other comparison would be too complicated.

I can understand the sudden exodus of expats, both British and German from Spain for all sorts of reasons but also one of having given it a reasonable six years to recover the realisation that there will be no recovery for a lot longer has sapped any lingering optimism.

90,000 people leaving in one year, and that's official figures, is mind blowing. I've come across one funcionario, a National Police officer, who started the tiny office where deregistering expats had to fill out a form, written by him, stating in their own words their reasons for leaving his lovely country. He used to get angry.

They've closed his office but you can still find him in the little cafe down the road, pissed out of his box at eight in the morning.
I wouldn't argue with your sentiment but I am still perplexed as to the figures we continually see bandied about.
firstly 90,000 seems a very rounded figure. But where do they actually get their figures from? After all with free movement who knows how long someone is away for - a week, month, year, decade.

And if these are "official Spanish figures" then why isn't the UK asking if they can use their system - the UK has no idea how many people have arrived or left and that is just when they are monitoring illegals letalone those who are emigrating or immigrating ??

Afraid to say I see such newspaper articles as biased - be it because a reporter or manager had a bad experience and gave a junior a chance to make a (small) name for themselves or a relative/friend had a bad experience.
Or just supporting a company advertising something.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andyrich666
I know you might not have seen it coming, but did you ever consider selling it at its peak ?

I saw a banana skin happening tonight and you could have sold it tonight for 80k lumped it on Real Madrid and you would have won 360k !
Must admit I didn't expect such a thrashing.

I suppose we could have sold near the peak, but to be honest I'm not too bothered. Depends how you look at it. As a holiday home, we've enjoyed it for 10 years so far - didn't really buy it as an investment, thankfully.
However, it'd be nice to think they won't drop any further

The downside is that since we bought it, we haven't been on holiday anywhere else!

Last edited by lutonlad; Apr 30th 2014 at 8:20 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:05 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad
:... The downside is that since we bought it, we haven't been on holiday anywhere else!
That is an issue we share. One has a holiday house and one feels "obliged" to use it. Wife calls it a change of kitchen sink
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:07 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I remember the halcyon days when work was over and maps of the world started lying around. I was never quite sure which had become the 'holiday' home, the one in which we lived in Spain, or the one in England we could return to.

9/11 knocked our plans right back and a couple of bad experiences with Home Security in the US put us right off the US, but it's a big world, isn't it?

Unfortunately the other side of the world didn't impress and the Spanish holiday home became filled with dependent animals and plants, while the English base started to fade from memory. My local in London became some sort of foreign temple where you have to take your shoes off at the door.

But it's difficult to plan a holiday in a place you know not to be as nice as the place you're in.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lutonlad

The downside is that since we bought it, we haven't been on holiday anywhere else!
True, when we visit we wander all over the place, generally the south of Spain, but when I speak to my neighbour that has had a place in the campo for 20 years, she has been pratically nowhere. Spends most of the time painting the place and general repairs and upkeep.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:06 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

BBC at it now... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27212890
Spain's not getting good press over in the UK, I guess the UK is full of doomsdayers also
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:58 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
True, when we visit we wander all over the place, generally the south of Spain, but when I speak to my neighbour that has had a place in the campo for 20 years, she has been pratically nowhere. Spends most of the time painting the place and general repairs and upkeep.
A retired uncle of mine and his wife, live in Arteixo Galicia.
they have inherited houses near Catoira, Laxe, and one in some other place.

They spend all their time moving from one to the other trying to keep them in good(ish) order, working like donkeys.

I think they are nuts, so do their children.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
BBC at it now... http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-27212890
Spain's not getting good press over in the UK, I guess the UK is full of doomsdayers also
Yeh, looks like it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22309326
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of the last EU election in 2009 the " Crisis" had begun, but I don't think at that time people ever thought it would bite so deep and so long.
Now 5 years further down the line and still the man in the street is seeing little or no recovery / end in sight.

This I believe could have a very significant influence on the voting pattern this time.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 6:57 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

At the time of the last EU election in 2009 the " Crisis" had begun, but I don't think at that time people ever thought it would bite so deep and so long.
Now 5 years further down the line and still the man in the street is seeing little or no recovery / end in sight.

This I believe could have a very significant influence on the voting pattern this time.
Well, unfortunately they'll likely vote for the whomever promises the most giveaways (which Spain can't afford). After all, precious few would be naive enough to believe in economic prosperity anytime soon (that they'll benefit from, anyway).
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:13 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

The two main parties periods in office have been an absolute disaster for the country and it's people.

I honestly believed when the PP came into power that they must surely be an improvement on the previous shower, but sadly not, the cack-handed mistakes they have made simply plunged the country even further into the mire.

I was going to suggest that the country could do worse than a Spanish version of our Nige, but obviously that wouldn't work because as soon as the EU support rug was pulled out from under their feet they'd be well on the way back to being a third world country.
There again the French are convinced they always have been, as they still insist that Africa starts at the Spanish border.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

"The country's interior minister, Jorge Fernández Díaz, singled out an icon of the Virgin Mary, in Málaga, to receive the gold medal of police merit – which is normally reserved for police who have died in terrorist attacks."

They couldn't run a P155up in a brewery. No wonder the country is in such a state
As an aside..
She became a virgin in 1888, up until then she had only had an immaculate conception. Jesus's older brother James caused a few problems though.
The Christian Orthodox church does not call her a virgin....
M
Old May 1st 2014, 7:25 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
As an aside..
She became a virgin in 1888, up until then she had only had an immaculate conception. Jesus's older brother James caused a few problems though.
The Christian Orthodox church does not call her a virgin....
M
Mary was a virgin until Jesus was born, but Jesus had an older brother???

How does that work out?

I have never heard of James.

Was he known as Jimmy Christ, brother of Jesus Christ?
Old May 1st 2014, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Read the Good book and check up on Nicea and the history of the Catholic/Orthodox churches. Obviously the presence of the older brother and leader of the "Jesus Fraternity" up until his Stoning to death at the temple was difficult for the Catholic church to explain away.The Romans had dealings with James but there is no mention of Jesus by their contemporary annalists up until shortly before Jesus's death.
M

Last edited by Maybe1day; May 1st 2014 at 7:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.