Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Technowizards - Tell me, how do they know?

Technowizards - Tell me, how do they know?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:41 am
Account Closed

St. John is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Technowizards - Tell me, how do they know?

When I try on my computer to access a video from one of the British TV companies I always get a message telling me that, as I am out of the UK, I am unable to receive the video.

I brought the computer et al with me from the UK. I purchased it in the UK so its IP address will be registered as the UK. So, how do they know that the machine is now in Spain? Do they know what I had for breakfast?
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:59 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Technowizards - Tell me, how do they know?

Originally Posted by St. John
. I purchased it in the UK so its IP address will be registered as the UK.
Is this a joke?................in case it's not.
You will get your IP address from your internet provider, you will be accessing the internet from within Spain, so an IP that identifies you as being in Spain. And yes they do know what you had for breakfast.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:07 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Is this a joke?................in case it's not.
You will get your IP address from your internet provider, you will be accessing the internet from within Spain, so an IP that identifies you as being in Spain. And yes they do know what you had for breakfast.
No, it wasn't a joke - I really don't know anything about how these things work, hence my question. Thank you for your reply.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 8:17 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St. John
No, it wasn't a joke - I really don't know anything about how these things work, hence my question. Thank you for your reply.
Sorry, I am not an expert, but I forget that at one time I knew nothing, and that other people are still jumping on the learning curve.

Think of an IP address just like a postal address, each line of a postal address adds more information and detail (reading up) so country, then city, then street.
IP is similar, it is just a bunch of numbers, but reading from the left gives more detailed information.

Some people use a proxy, that just means they go through another computer to access stuff. So if you used a proxy IP in Britain, the connecting IP at (for example the BBC) would see a connection in Britain, but it would not know that the proxy is then passing on the information to you in Spain.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

It's easy to do - these people for example explain how

http://www.danasoft.com/
Old Sep 25th 2010, 6:44 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

if you click on this link it tells you your IP address & where you are

http://whatismyipaddress.com/

it's scarily accurate for mine!!!!

if you know the IP of other people you can put that into a search & it tells you where they are!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

I think they use it for placing ads as well.

I used to wonder why so many websites had banner ads for pretty girls in the Canaries, until I remembered that my then ISP was registered there.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:59 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Use the Forum search for 'proxy' as this has been discussed quite a lot.

> http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ighlight=proxy
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:23 am
Account Closed

Never was there a truer saying that 'you live and learn'. Thanks everyone for the information. I too wondered how I got invitations to do all sorts of things in or near Seville, when I live nowhere near the place. The head office of my provider however is located there - that explains it.
Old Sep 25th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at www.speedtest.net you should get a map of europe and a little yellow pyramid showing you where your signal is coming from.. Holding your mouse over the blue pyramids will give you the name of other signals.

You may also use this to check your download and upload speeds
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:28 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried using a UK based proxy server or would that not work?
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Have you tried using a UK based proxy server or would that not work?
I am not even a novice at all of this. I only found out about proxy servers during the life of this thread. All I only ever wanted to do was to catch up on a couple of TV programmes that I missed because I had visitors!

Like most things electrical, electronic or mechanical I only want to use them, not know how they work. When they go wrong I just get someone in who knows.

I did download (there you see - I have learned some jargon) the website (here I go again) that showed where my signal was coming from - it told me that it was Lisbon - so I gave up.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 10:41 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Found this, hope it's of help. http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-country-GB.htm http://www.my-expat-network.co.uk/?g...FZFe4wodlwbp5g