Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Teacher of English in Malaga anyone? Help!

Teacher of English in Malaga anyone? Help!

Old Sep 22nd 2011, 8:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Teacher of English in Malaga anyone? Help!

A Spanish friend asked today if I knew anyone who could teach English to a colleague of hers. My friend's a teacher, possibly the colleague is, I know she would want it to be a qualified person, and native English speaker. I'm happy to provide conversation but am no teacher! There must be loads out there, has anyone any recommendations or suggestions where to look/ask?
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 9:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teacher of English in Malaga anyone? Help!

Originally Posted by fionamw
A Spanish friend asked today if I knew anyone who could teach English to a colleague of hers. My friend's a teacher, possibly the colleague is, I know she would want it to be a qualified person, and native English speaker. I'm happy to provide conversation but am no teacher! There must be loads out there, has anyone any recommendations or suggestions where to look/ask?
Totally agree with you that she needs to have "proper" tuition from a qualified teacher but if you can give her the opportunity to practice with you she will find this invaluable.

Rosemary
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 10:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Totally agree with you that she needs to have "proper" tuition from a qualified teacher but if you can give her the opportunity to practice with you she will find this invaluable.
Rosemary
Agree, however some of the better teachers of Spanish that I have had did not come with qualifications, and certainly the worst did! Someone that is reasonably educated and experienced can do a pretty good job, IMHO. And they are cheaper! I think it often depends if you want good day to day conversational English, or want to be able to study the grammar in depth to be able to pass exams. For the latter, certainly qualified tuition is a must. A Spanish skype pal came out with the term "Saga Louts" a few days ago, and I know he got that from me, (we're always exchanging modern words and phrases etc) it's probably not the thing you would learn in formal classes. I'm a big fan of skype exchanges, provided you pick a good partner, I have been talking with this guy for several years. He's no teacher, but runs an insurance office, very bright, and I've learnt more from him than any classes. And it's free!

Last edited by agoreira; Sep 23rd 2011 at 10:18 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Zaragoza, by way of Cambridgeshire, and now Alhaurin El Grande
Zaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really niceZaragozaram is just really nice

I know a couple. If you PM me with an email address I will put you in touch
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

sue52 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am also interested to find an English teacher who would like to teach in Malaga. Please contact me for more details. Thank you
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue52
I am also interested to find an English teacher who would like to teach in Malaga. Please contact me for more details. Thank you
To Spanish speakers? May sound like a stupid question....! My friend could almost certainly have found teachers of english via the school our children go to, but I guess felt happier asking 'outside'.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

sue52 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes sorry, to Spanish people of various ages from children to adults thank you.
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 6:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by sue52
Yes sorry, to Spanish people of various ages from children to adults thank you.
Big family or are you setting up a school?
Old Sep 23rd 2011, 8:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Big family or are you setting up a school?
Old Sep 26th 2011, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ed - this thread was looking for a one-off, one to one for a spanish friend of mine. However someone who answered earlier in the thread seemed to be looking for a teacher(s) so if they are still in the thread it might be worth your contacting them. Other than that, I'd suggest doing various searches within Spain forum to see what's been said about TEFL/teaching english/spanish etc etc and work generally in Spain at the moment.
Good luck