TDT boxes

Old Apr 10th 2010, 6:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TDT boxes

Originally Posted by The Guy
IF you have a HD TV with TDT built in then you do not need any TDT receiver as it will be build in.
I would just add to that, that if you have an HDTV with a built in TDT box, it will not necessarily receive HDTV - another HDTDT box will be needed.

Some of the very latest UK TVs have Freeview HD built in but they are very rare.

Interesting article in the Mail yesterday http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-properly.html

Last edited by Fred James; Apr 10th 2010 at 6:54 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:18 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I would just add to that, that if you have an HDTV with a built in TDT box, it will not necessarily receive HDTV - another HDTDT box will be needed.
Perhaps this should read "that if you have an HDTV with a built in TDT box, it will not necessarily receive HDTV - another HDTDT box MAY be needed.

I have seen C9 HD available on many HDTVs using the inbuilt tuners and not with a seperate set top box.

But with HD Ready TVs then yes you will need a HD TDT set top box.

Again there is a difference between HD Ready TVs and HDTVs.

Last edited by The Guy; Apr 10th 2010 at 7:27 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:20 am

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
[/COLOR]

so does that mean you won't be able to see them at all?

or just that you won't see them in HD?
To view the HD channels you will need a HD receiver - be it a seperate TDT HD set top box or with it built in (in many HDTVs)

(in the same way you can only watch BBC HD on a HD sat box (Sky or freesat HD boxes))

However, you can use a HD receiver on a non HD TV, but you will not see the channels in HD!

Last edited by The Guy; Apr 10th 2010 at 7:26 am.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 7:46 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

To view the HD channels you will need a HD receiver - be it a seperate TDT HD set top box or with it built in (in many HDTVs)

(in the same way you can only watch BBC HD on a HD sat box (Sky or freesat HD boxes))

However, you can use a HD receiver on a non HD TV, but you will not see the channels in HD!
thanks - that's what I thought
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Again there is a difference between HD Ready TVs and HDTVs.
These marketing terms have caused a lot of confusion.

In the UK a HD ready set usually means that it is only capable of showing HDTV at a resolution of 720p and a Full HD set is capable of showing it in 1080i.

Almost all HD TVs are now sold as Full HD but it does not guarantee that the TDT tuner will be HD - you have to check that carefully when buying a new set.

If the TV is more than a few months old, even though it may have been described as Full HD it is unlikely to have a HD TDT tuner.

It is beginning to become a big issue in the UK as millions of people are expecting their existing Full HD sets to be able to receive the World Cup via Freeview in HD - wrong!
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:40 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

I do not understand this thread at all! Some things seem not to reach into my brain. Ask me about Pensions or Benefits and I'll be a mine of information, but digital TV? Too complicated.

Anyway, to the point. We have lost most of our Spanish TV channels.

We have a little satellite set-up that we bought from Lidl about five years ago, it receives (in English) CNN, BBC World, CNBC Europe, EuroNews, many German and other continental channels. It has an 80cm dish.

Should we be able to pick up our Spanish TV on this or do we need to do something else?

PLEASE answer in words of one syllable, without abbreviations, otherwise I will not understand it.

Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 9:51 am

Spanish "old" analogue channels have been switched off (apart from the odd local channel). Hence why you are getting a white banner saying "Go Digital". This has been known to happen for the last 5 or so years, so it is not anything new.

Spanish digital channels (TDT) have been around for a few years now - and you can get around 30ish digital spanish channel.

To get Spanish digital you need a digital terrestroial (TDT) set top box or a TV with built in digital; terrestrial (TDT) capabilities.
You will also need to change your aerial configuration so that it is configured to receive the digital signals.

On satellite (Astra1 - where your lidl dish is pointing to at the moment) there are a few spanish tv channels for free - they are more local chanels (Telemadrid TV canarias) and TVE International. To get any of the "analogue" channels you have lost via this satellite dish you have to subscribe to D+ to watch (spains satellite company)

You cannot get TDT via satellite (yes techies i know you can but I am not going into that now!) TDT is terrestrial. Satellite is extraterrestrial.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 11:59 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you.

Yes we did know about the analogue channels being switched off but were told we would be OK because we had this LIDL box.

Anyway, we are not terribly bothered, we can get one or two local Spanish channels and can watch Formula One in German. Just wondered if we should be able to get them or not.

I think we will go the whole hog at some point and get SKY or the equivalent but we will need a new TV too, so it will need saving up for.

Thank you again for your advice.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 12:31 pm

You realise that if you move your dish around to the UK satellites at 28 east, you can get BBC Sports stream, BBC News, euronews, sky news, cnn, and about 30 other watchable channels in english (assuming your dish is about an 80cmdish),.

(your dish is currently pointing at astra 1s at 19 east)

BBC Sports streams show F1 in english, and pretty much any sport bbc have it is available on there - horsie racing is on at the moment...

Maybe your lidl box is a TDT / Sat combi...so it can do both satellite and TDT - without knowing the make and model and whats written on the box it is difficult to know...
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:03 pm
Ex Expat

The dish LOOKs as though it is pointing south-ish?

It is an 80cm dish.

When my husband set it up, he just used the tuning device that came with it. We don't know which satellite it is pointing at.

On the box it says Silvercrest SL65 DVB.

If he just twiddles with it for a bit to see if he can get it to 28 East, then if it doesn't work we can always put it back how it was using the tuning device can't we?

Thanks for your help.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:25 pm

the Silvercrest SL65 is a satellite only version.

If he just twiddles with it for a bit to see if he can get it to 28 East, then if it doesn't work we can always put it back how it was using the tuning device can't we?

you can try! mark up all the positions and angles first BEFORE you move the dish, as this will help you relocate your exisiting position should you move the dish.

you may have to perform scan of frequencies to load up the UK channels - they are located on the astra 2 and eurobird 1 satellites. if feelomng good, scan freq 12207 v 27.5 2/3 - if you are on the correct satellite you will get Sky News UK. If not then you dont have the correct satellite.

It is a bit hit and miss with basic beepers / needle indicaotrs, as these just show that you are on A satellite, not the correct stellite you want...hence why pros use various other electronic meters that they can isolate individual satellites and frequencies to ensure they are on the correct satellites.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:29 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

There is a HD TeleMadrid channel as well so I'm now going to see if I can buy a HD TDT box. I've just looked on the El Corte Ingles website and they don't advertise as having them. Where could I buy one and what sort of price would I be looking at with or without a HDD for recording?
Old Apr 10th 2010, 1:41 pm
Ex Expat

the Silvercrest SL65 is a satellite only version.

you can try! mark up all the positions and angles first BEFORE you move the dish, as this will help you relocate your exisiting position should you move the dish.

you may have to perform scan of frequencies to load up the UK channels - they are located on the astra 2 and eurobird 1 satellites. if feelomng good, scan freq 12207 v 27.5 2/3 - if you are on the correct satellite you will get Sky News UK. If not then you dont have the correct satellite.

It is a bit hit and miss with basic beepers / needle indicaotrs, as these just show that you are on A satellite, not the correct stellite you want...hence why pros use various other electronic meters that they can isolate individual satellites and frequencies to ensure they are on the correct satellites.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!

I have printed this out and shown it to my husband, he thinks he understands it.

Basically we have to keep going until we get Sky News when performing the frequencies scan?

He will have a go in the very near future.

Sorry to be so thick about it, you've been very patient.
Old Apr 10th 2010, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Madridboy
There is a HD TeleMadrid channel as well so I'm now going to see if I can buy a HD TDT box. I've just looked on the El Corte Ingles website and they don't advertise as having them. Where could I buy one and what sort of price would I be looking at with or without a HDD for recording?
Most electrical shops do TDT boxes, but HD ones are not very well stocked at the momenet....due to them not having many HD channels at the moment.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

"just use the built-in aerial." TVs do not have built in aereals - aerials go on the roof. Do you mean built in TDT receiver / tuner ?

I mean by "more boxes" that many people ony have a cheap or standard definition box, but they will need to buy a HD box should they wish to view the HD TDTD channels that will become available later this year.
I thought the aerial is indoor & not on the roof. Is there a built-in indoor aerial to receive free TDT channels? I don't know what is exactly required, ie receiver, tuner, etc.

I don't watch football & I'm not bothered about HD TV. All I want is a basic TV which allows me to watch free channels.

What should I be looking for when I go to the shop to get a TV which allows me to receive free TDT channels without subscribing to anything?
Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.