Tax resident

Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax resident

In a thread recently mention was made of becoming a tax resident that would be necessary when it came to selling property in Spain.

As a non tax payer i.e. my income is below the tax threshold in the uk I pay no tax. So would I need to to register or whatever as a non tax payer if I decided to sell and if so how would I go about it.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax resident

Originally Posted by Michael74
In a thread recently mention was made of becoming a tax resident that would be necessary when it came to selling property in Spain.

As a non tax payer i.e. my income is below the tax threshold in the uk I pay no tax. So would I need to to register or whatever as a non tax payer if I decided to sell and if so how would I go about it.
What has the tax threshold in the UK got to do with it?

The tax threshold for declaring tax in Spain is very low - like about €1600 depending on your circumstances.

You may well end up paying no tax in Spain but that does not necessarily mean you do not have to declare every year.

When you sell property in Spain and wish to claim the exemptions that may apply to tax residents you will have to prove that you are tax resident and produce a certificate of tax residency for the notary.

Without having made tax declarations for the previous 3 years it may be difficult to obtain that certificate.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
What has the tax threshold in the UK got to do with it?

The tax threshold for declaring tax in Spain is very low - like about €1600 depending on your circumstances.

You may well end up paying no tax in Spain but that does not necessarily mean you do not have to declare every year.

When you sell property in Spain and wish to claim the exemptions that may apply to tax residents you will have to prove that you are tax resident and produce a certificate of tax residency for the notary.

Without having made tax declarations for the previous 3 years it may be difficult to obtain that certificate.
Are you saying that a pensioner who pays no tax in the UK could be liable for tax here in Spain?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 3:44 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hello, I think I know you
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying that a pensioner who pays no tax in the UK could be liable for tax here in Spain?
Of course, rules and 'limits' are different everywhere.

I think a general misunderstanding needs to be cleared up. You MUST submit a tax return if you are resident in Spain. There may well be no tax to pay or there may even be a refund!

There are many reasons for doing this but not least of which are the possible tax breaks later on when property is sold, or when someone dies etc.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:23 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Unlikely, but that does not mean you do not have to make a tax declaration.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Laights
Hello, I think I know you
Hello Daughter, what are you Aussies doing on our Spanish site !!!!!!!!! ?
Old Oct 6th 2010, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As a fellow Oliva region resident, I have a good tax Gestor in Gandia - if you need it then let me know. Speaks English and has a high end bank background. In fact, his office is in a bank. About €50 - €60 for a nil reurn

I submitted year one, not year two (on his advice) but I will submit again for this year. It will probably be a nil return, but it does what has mentioned above ... gets you on the radar.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I think this link gives a good overview explanation of paying tax in Spain

http://www.abacoconnect.com/resident-taxes-in-spain

(but note SUMA is an agency collecting local taxes in the Alicante province only - other provinces will have an equivalent or pay the town hall directly.)

I am not recommending the company - but thought their text was useful for those who do not understand their position.

Remember to get the tax advantages you have to be fiscally resident ie make a tax declaration in Spain.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thankyou Mitzyboy, have PM'd you.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 5:38 pm

There is some very good info on this site about tax returns.

http://www.advoco.es/home/22-latest/...ax-return.html

It is arguably the best site I have found regarding tax etc in Spain.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:36 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Of course, rules and 'limits' are different everywhere.

I think a general misunderstanding needs to be cleared up. You MUST submit a tax return if you are resident in Spain. There may well be no tax to pay or there may even be a refund!

There are many reasons for doing this but not least of which are the possible tax breaks later on when property is sold, or when someone dies etc.
The last tax return I did in Spain cost me all of 20 cents, we were both pensioners. Assessore cost about €60 to do the returns for both of us.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 11:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
As a fellow Oliva region resident, I have a good tax Gestor in Gandia - if you need it then let me know. Speaks English and has a high end bank background. In fact, his office is in a bank. About €50 - €60 for a nil reurn

I submitted year one, not year two (on his advice) but I will submit again for this year. It will probably be a nil return, but it does what has mentioned above ... gets you on the radar.
We use the same gestor, he is excellent. Although he normally sees people during banking hours at the banks fiscal office his family have a gestor business near the railway station.

Rosemary
Old Oct 7th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Fred - thanks, the Advoco site is very informative.

And now I can't see any reason for so much apathy and confusion about sorting out tax affairs.
Old Oct 8th 2010, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

"Without having made tax declarations for the previous 3 years it may be difficult to obtain that certificate."

Fred - like you I was under the impression that it took 3 years to qualify for the benefits - in a column in today's RTN paper - Aboco (local company) are stating 5 yrs for the Andalusia and Valencia regions.

A change or maybe an error? Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.