Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Tarifa - Long weekend

Tarifa - Long weekend

Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice
Default Tarifa - Long weekend

Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay and things to do that don't necessarily involve getting wet?

Budget not really an issue but is it really a mini-break place if you're not a long haired surf dude type?
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tarifa - Long weekend

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
Can anyone recommend somewhere nice to stay and things to do that don't necessarily involve getting wet?

Budget not really an issue but is it really a mini-break place if you're not a long haired surf dude type?

Google hotels Tarifa ,Very nice place even for non wind surfer dudes, dont turn up without accomadation this time of year,

Rgds

Rotor
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

ShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really niceShinyAndy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rotor
Google hotels Tarifa
Thanks for the tip but I was after personal recommendations rather than which hotel has the best SEO
Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:29 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the tip but I was after personal recommendations rather than which hotel has the best SEO
I have been for a day a couple of times, windy but interesting place, nice castle, a bit hippie, we liked it.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 8:16 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Tarifa ,Very nice place been there in summer off 2003 will sept 9th , meet up with few mates and stayend on the cost raod just 2 miles out side off 0n the n340 Carretera Nacional on way to CADIZ west side off the main beach

will be going back there again
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

You are now on the Atlantic coast and out of the med, just before you arrive at Tarifa if coming from the Malaga coast 'on a clear non heat haze day' you can see Africa so clear that it looks like you could touch it.

The other side of the road you have more eloic generators than you will see anywhere else in Spain.

The Tarifa beach (Valdevaqeros) is long and has a great dune at the end, it is a fabulous beach... but personally I prefer a couple of klms further down the coast at Bolonia, it also has a great beach with a large dune at the end. Bolonia has Roman ruins you can look at if your into that and it has a restaurant that is practically on the beach. It is really great to walk along the coast beyond the dunes, the sand is a white as it gets in Spain and the sea cristal. If you go to Bolonia then get there early each day is summer as parking is limited, there are a couple of parking areas but they will fill up fast. The restaurant is mid way down the beach between the village and the dunes, you won't see it until you get to it. Bolonia is only a couple of klms from Tarifa, when you see 'Tio Pepe' (you will know what I mean when you see him!) then take the next turning to the left.

The dunes now run into the pines 'in a big way', there used to be picket fencing maintained throughout the dunes until a few years ago (back when the military had a base there), this seemed to hold the dunes together but now that this has been left un maintained the dunes seem to be moving faster into and over the trees.

The better hotel I guess is the 'Hurricane' (Had great food the last couple of times I was there), this is on the straight from Tarifa towards Bolonia and Cadiz direction, there is also the '100% fun' which is popular.

Tarifa is a great little town, great atmosphere and really friendly. I am not a great fan of this part of the coast (although it is lovely) because I have been to it many times (Mostly with work) and the wind would drive you mad, but I do like to go there for a day or two every so often. Surfers come from all over the world to surf there, yes even from Australia. You will probably see wind and kite surfers in their hundreds.

This part of the coast is 'way' laid back, sufer, kind of modern hippy types are abundant.

Don't be shocked as there can be a lot of nudist bathers, I remember years back I was working on a TV commercial on Tarifa beach, the scene was set and the set was dressed, camera rolling and this guy 'totally naked' came up to the director and asked him what he was filming, the place was surrounded by film crew and tourists looking on.... then this guy as natural as someone walking up to you in the street with his .... hanging out strolls into the middle of things to ask a question...

Last edited by Econ; Jul 17th 2008 at 8:41 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Cheers Econ

I'm guessing then it's not somewhere you can just find a nice hotel in the middle and then not have to drive anywhere?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers Econ

I'm guessing then it's not somewhere you can just find a nice hotel in the middle and then not have to drive anywhere?
Andy,
To be honest it is best to have some transport, especially if you are going to the town then the Tarifa dunes and then Bolonia, they are not all within walking distance. If you wanted to use one of the hotels on the beach side and then restrict yourself to that specific area then fine but having a car would be best.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

car it is then and I'll pack my power kite!

Are you aware of any boutique style hotels there?
Old Jul 18th 2008, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

car it is then and I'll pack my power kite!

Are you aware of any boutique style hotels there?
It's not that type of area
Old Jul 18th 2008, 9:35 am
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Its a Hippie kind of area very surfer dude and not up market at all. But really lovely.