Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

taking my dog to spain

taking my dog to spain

Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:53 am
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of
Default taking my dog to spain

As some of you may remember after living in spain for 2 years I had to return to UK leaving my dog reg behind (pet passport wasnt ready) I then returned to spain couple of weeks ago to pick him up. well reg has settled in well and is cock of the north along whitstable beach front, he loves it, everyone is making a fuss of him and all is well.
Thing is... my place in spain is empty and I'd love to take reg out and stay for a couple of weeks rather than put him in kennels . Is there a real easy way to get him there without putting him thru a flight in the hold (is it so bad?) can i take him on a train there???? rather than drive, i am not very confident at driving myself thru to spain. any advice anyone or I shant go, no probs
by the way how can i add a pic on here??? thanks,patsy
Old Jun 20th 2008, 11:34 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking my dog to spain

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
As some of you may remember after living in spain for 2 years I had to return to UK leaving my dog reg behind (pet passport wasnt ready) I then returned to spain couple of weeks ago to pick him up. well reg has settled in well and is cock of the north along whitstable beach front, he loves it, everyone is making a fuss of him and all is well.
Thing is... my place in spain is empty and I'd love to take reg out and stay for a couple of weeks rather than put him in kennels . Is there a real easy way to get him there without putting him thru a flight in the hold (is it so bad?) can i take him on a train there???? rather than drive, i am not very confident at driving myself thru to spain. any advice anyone or I shant go, no probs
by the way how can i add a pic on here??? thanks,patsy
There is a very good pet transport company in the free beer thread, they drive them in a special van with stops in hotels on the trip.
He would be traveling quite a bit out of the holiday though.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

Pobman is an unknown quantity at this point

I too am interested if you take dogs on trains in Spain? I know you can on the sleeper train for Paris to Madrid, if its possible to take a small dog on the AVE from Madrid to Malaga it would give me a very interesting option of getting from Portsmouth to Malaga with family and dog. (Ferry to Le Havre - Train to paris, train to Madrid, train to Malaga)

Anybody know Renfe rules on dogs?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 12:52 pm
Just Joined

Found the rules:

http://www.renfe.es/condiciones_viajeros/index.html

Section 3 part 11, can run it through google translation as needed.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

john1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant futurejohn1979 has a brilliant future

I used the company in the free beer thread. They are trained dog handlers and he got out the van a very happy bulldog and even gave them a kiss goodbye. Took him 4 days to arrive. He was picked up in Doncaster, stayed over night in Maidstone. Early morning tunnel and down to Bordeaux, where they stayed in a special pet hotel. Then down to Madrid, where again they stayed in a hotel and then down to the costa del sol and dropped on the doorstep.

The vans are specially prepped and special cabins inside for the dogs etc.

Cost was £500.

John
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:22 pm
barxeta bliss,ohhhh

patsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud ofpatsywhitehair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pobman
Found the rules:

http://www.renfe.es/condiciones_viajeros/index.html

Section 3 part 11, can run it through google translation as needed.
thanks for replies but

does renfe take dogs on their trains, sorry dont know how to run translation thru google
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

Ive just booked my dog to come with us on the same flight - cost was £595.

Katx

PS- ONly certain airlines are happy to take livestock
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:49 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for replies but

does renfe take dogs on their trains, sorry dont know how to run translation thru google
Yes, one "small" (6kg max) animal per traveller (as long as other passengers don't object) and must be in a travelling cage.
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

The dog has to be in a cage and in the hold
Old Jun 20th 2008, 8:58 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

thanks for replies but

Here you are my dear all done.......God it took me hours

http://translate.google.com/translat...F8&sl=es&tl=en

Last edited by poshnbucks; Jun 20th 2008 at 9:00 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:50 am
Just Joined

http://www.seat61.com/Spain.htm

An excellent site describing how to get from UK to Spain and back again by trains. They also have a description in English how to use Spanish Renfe site in Spanish so you can get discounted tickets, as rather interestingly if you only use the English Renfe site all the discounted tickets dont appear