Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking dog to spain

Taking dog to spain

Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:11 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dog to spain

Originally Posted by a.l.oldfield
Think I'l use brittany ferries, they do an overnight to santander with dog for £250.... then it's about a 6 and a half hour drive to alicante.

And they only accept dogs with a pet passport so I guess that kinda answers my question
That is probably to cover themselves in case the ferry breaks down and they have to return to the UK for repairs.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to beholdjay01 is a splendid one to behold

Think that the long haul ferries to Santander keep the dogs in kennel type accommodation. Spoke to someone who came that way and he slept on a bench instead of the bunk room as his dog fret so much. The staff must have thought him nuts or a British eccentric.

Dover to Callias is less than 2hrs and a steady drive through France, we left Dover about 8ish am and it cost us £30 got down as far Pointers as we had not slept since the previous morning and stayed over night there, that cost us about 50e. Left 10ish next day and then pretty much drove the rest of the way that is both of us taking turns at driving. Was a long trip but the scenery and experience was worth it, main cost was the fuel.
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 8:21 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Think I'l use brittany ferries, they do an overnight to santander with dog for £250.... then it's about a 6 and a half hour drive to alicante.

And they only accept dogs with a pet passport so I guess that kinda answers my question
OK, if you can do it for that, fine. 10 years ago it was much more expensive than that - with no dog.

It doesn't surprise me that they need a pet passport...
Old Aug 22nd 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Dont attempt that crossing unless you are strong and are not scared of climbing to the top of the ship by the funnel from outside. The lift does not go all the way to the kennels. The gale force wind & rain with boat rolling from side to side coupled with the deafening noise of the engine exhaust by the funnels still gives me nightmares. The kennel area was awash with pixx smelling water, the noise of the dogs was unbearable.

I did that trip last September and would never ever do it again.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:51 am
Just Joined

a.l.oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Dont attempt that crossing unless you are strong and are not scared of climbing to the top of the ship by the funnel from outside. The lift does not go all the way to the kennels. The gale force wind & rain with boat rolling from side to side coupled with the deafening noise of the engine exhaust by the funnels still gives me nightmares. The kennel area was awash with pixx smelling water, the noise of the dogs was unbearable.

I did that trip last September and would never ever do it again.
Do they have to go in kennels?? I'd rather her stay in the van with us than go into kennels. stick a mattress in the van and sleep there with her. I don't like the idea of kennels at all, never have done. My boxer doesn't mix with other dogs well either (something we're working on) and I don't want her to go backwards in her progress.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

Val W is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you would be better either driving through France and down to Spain or flying with your dog on the same plane as you.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:48 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Do they have to go in kennels?? I'd rather her stay in the van with us than go into kennels. stick a mattress in the van and sleep there with her. I don't like the idea of kennels at all, never have done. My boxer doesn't mix with other dogs well either (something we're working on) and I don't want her to go backwards in her progress.

Animals have to go to the kennels. Passengers are not allowed to stay in nor visit their vehicles during the crossing.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 5:55 pm
Just Joined

a.l.oldfield is an unknown quantity at this point

has anybody else had an experience with the kennels on brittany ferries portsmouth to santander?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

allywally is an unknown quantity at this point

We did the Santander crossing at the end of April with our dog.

The kennels are at the top of the ship but only up 1 flight of steps which do feel a bit precarious once the ship sets sail and it gets a bit windy etc and yes it is a bit smelly and noisy but we thought it was fantastic, you can visit your dog as often as you like and take it for walks around the deck.

For us it was a means to an end, we didn't want the long drive through France and i couldn't fly my dog she would be petrified, and also i couldn't leave her in the car and not be able to see her so this seemed the best option.

If you do go this route take a blanket for the kennels as they are all stainless steel and are quite cold, some of the other dogs were just left with nothing and it must have been very uncomfortable for them, we also took our dog basket and put that inside the kennel also some food as you cant go back down to your vehicle once the boat has set sail.

The jouney back from Santander was even better as we sat on the deck with our dog for a few hours enjoying a beer and sandwiches and chatting to other dog owners until the sun went down, met some lovely people.......

Have just booked again for 26th September so cant have been that bad and the bonus is having your dog on holiday with you, our dog just loves being with us, she has a fab time and so do we!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:05 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Dogs are generally much happier if they can be left in the vehicle they know.
I think my dog looks on the car as his first home, even though he has several others.
Of course,due to the longer distance and time, this is not possible on the Santander ferry,where many of them fret and howl quite a bit, naturally not keen on the unusual environment and metal cages.
On the St Malo run, we are allowed to go and check the pets in the vehicles during the trip,by arrangement and accompaniment of one of the crew.
Best of all by far is Stena-line which I use quite a lot between Keil and Gothenburg.
There are special dog cabins where the pets can stay with the owners during the trip. They even supply special dog mats and a nice selection of treats,though I fancy many of the smaller ones end up having a night in bed.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

fembat will become famous soon enoughfembat will become famous soon enough

We paid a company to drive our precious pouch here whilst we took the plane. It was great - although I think I drove the transporters (easypet) insane with my calls.

Cost €340 for our dog.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Dogs are generally much happier if they can be left in the vehicle they know.
I think my dog looks on the car as his first home, even though he has several others.
Of course,due to the longer distance and time, this is not possible on the Santander ferry,where many of them fret and howl quite a bit, naturally not keen on the unusual environment and metal cages.
On the St Malo run, we are allowed to go and check the pets in the vehicles during the trip,by arrangement and accompaniment of one of the crew.
Best of all by far is Stena-line which I use quite a lot between Keil and Gothenburg.
There are special dog cabins where the pets can stay with the owners during the trip. They even supply special dog mats and a nice selection of treats,though I fancy many of the smaller ones end up having a night in bed.
I am taking my dog to the vet tomorrow to start the procedure to get his passport. I think we will use the tunnel crossing or short ferry because as you say he is comfortable and likes his car we can go hundreds of miles and don't hear a peep from him.
I couldn't stand the prospects of crossing the Bay of Biscay on a ferry in rough conditions myself never mind visiting my nervous dog up on that smelly deck.
We think Bordeaux will be our place to find a vet for return journeys. Any recommendations?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

We are moving to Spain next year and wish to take our dog with us. I understand that to get the pet passport she will need a rabies jab, blood test and paperwork before we go.
My question is, how much roughly does this process cost and how long does it take?
Also, what is the best/cheapest option on taking a dog abroad? Ferry and then drive? Or aeroplane?

thank you
Hi
George has had his rabies jab today it cost £45. Blood test in 20 to 30 days. It has to be sent to DEFRA and can take up to 6 weeks to come back. I will keep you posted on further costs.
We read in the press some time ago that they are thinking of scrapping the 'Pet Passport' and the Vet today confirmed this.
He explained that...Our little island 'GB' has been immune from some very nasty diseases however they are now creeping in.
He gave me a booklet and they are nasty!!! our dogs have no natural immunity and the precautionary measures sound quite important. More treatments on a regular basis than we do here in the U.K.
Mainly these diseases are carried to the dog by mosquito sand fly and tick. It says the dog should be kept indoors from one hour before dusk and one hour after dawn.
Old Aug 24th 2010, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

fembat will become famous soon enoughfembat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by olivia
Hi
George has had his rabies jab today it cost £45. Blood test in 20 to 30 days. It has to be sent to DEFRA and can take up to 6 weeks to come back. I will keep you posted on further costs.
We read in the press some time ago that they are thinking of scrapping the 'Pet Passport' and the Vet today confirmed this.
He explained that...Our little island 'GB' has been immune from some very nasty diseases however they are now creeping in.
He gave me a booklet and they are nasty!!! our dogs have no natural immunity and the precautionary measures sound quite important. More treatments on a regular basis than we do here in the U.K.
Mainly these diseases are carried to the dog by mosquito sand fly and tick. It says the dog should be kept indoors from one hour before dusk and one hour after dawn.
Did they mention what will happen if they decide to continue with the scrapping of the pet passport?
Old Aug 24th 2010, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by styledragon
Did they mention what will happen if they decide to continue with the scrapping of the pet passport?
My vet was not in favour of scrapping it at all. The booklet he gave me produced by www.bva-awf.org.uk outlines the nasty diseases which could be encountered abroad which we don't have here in the U.K.
He said that they are now starting to have to treat these diseases on returning dogs and was careful not to fully blame the relaxation of quarantine. He suggested climate change as another possible reason for seeing these diseases in the U.K.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.