Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Taking dog to spain

Taking dog to spain

Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:23 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dog to spain

Originally Posted by anna58
What is the name of the spanish laboratory? How much did it cost /We paid 90€ for the test from a German lab. last year. Can anyone give me any links for the abolition of the tick and flea requirement?

What a good thread! No inuendo or jokes, just info>
No idea - the vet did it all for us. I think it's in Cadiz.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I do not know the name - as they did not do the certification! I know it is in Madrid, if that helps.
Drontal plus for two small dogs and a cat has just cost me 25 Euros. The actual rabies jab cost 10 Euros. We are off to France in ten days, so as the whole process has taken so long, we will have him revaccinated and tested when we get there.
I cannot help on the abolition of the flea and tick. We would always keep ours protected - Scalibor collars were 25 Euros each I think.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, I do not know the name of the clinic - as they did not do the certification! I understand it is in Madrid, if that helps.
Drontal plus for two small dogs and a cat has just cost me 25 Euros. The actual rabies jab cost 10 Euros. We are off to France in ten days, so as the whole process has taken so long, we will have him revaccinated and tested when we get there.
I cannot help on the abolition of the flea and tick. We would always keep ours protected - Scalibor collars were about 25 Euros each I think.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Looking at the DEFRA/pets passport section it is less clear/user friendly than when I used it last year.

The list and contact details of all the different laboratories can be found at

http://ec.europa.eu/food/animal/live...pproval_en.htm

There is only one approved lab in Spain and is in Grananda.

Having read about problems and time delays at Granada I sent my dogs blood sample to Biobest in Scotland www.biobest.co.uk cost is around 31 pounds and turn around time less than 2 weeks.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

miastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nicemiastar25 is just really nice

Originally Posted by a.l.oldfield
We are moving to Spain next year and wish to take our dog with us. I understand that to get the pet passport she will need a rabies jab, blood test and paperwork before we go.
My question is, how much roughly does this process cost and how long does it take?
Also, what is the best/cheapest option on taking a dog abroad? Ferry and then drive? Or aeroplane?

thank you
Hello,

My cat is coming over to sevilla in a few days. The company is called easy pet http://www.easypetuk.com/ I read in various places that its very stressfull for them on the plane, also you need to send them via a pet travel agent who cares for them. (so I read) This might not be the case on all airlines.
We looked into doing the ferry but was expensive and you have to leave the animals in the car and can't freely check them or book a kennel on the boat, which costs more. Flights for us and the cats transport worked out less than the ferry.
The expense I had was the rabies jab and blood test thats all you need apart from the microchip. The vet completes the passport upon the bloodtest results. Allow a good amount of time, I didnt and my poor cat is in UK waiting for his passport and we have already moved.
Start 2 months before with the process in case of a further booster needed, which is unlikely.

Good luck

A
Old Aug 27th 2010, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

One of those how I wish I had been smart enough to ask earlier moments!

Thank you for that whitelinen. Too late for us now but helpful for the future
Old Aug 27th 2010, 7:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

How nice to read of the ease with which dogs can now be brought to Spain.

I brought two dogs to Spain 20 years ago, after some incredible hassle back in the UK to get everything ready. The idiots at Dover were a nightmare as usual. Once we landed at Calais, no official bothered about two dogs in the car.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to return to the UK with the dogs a year later. We landed at Harwich and the nightmare began. After all the other vehicles had left the ferry, two men in a white van and white coats arrived to take away our precious dogs to put them in quarantine for six months.

I followed the white van to the quarantine kennels in Norfolk and rented a house near to the kennels to be near to my dogs. I couldn't visit for the first three weeks, during which time I purchased large jemmies and masks.

As soon as I could visit, I did. It broke my heart to see them banged up and segregated, although the kennels were decent, though horribly expensive. A week later I was ready to spring them, but a wise friend advised me that a photograph on the front of the Sun showing two black Standard Poodles, suspected of having brought rabies to the sceptered isle, would leave me with no place to hide.

I finally got them out six long months later and took them straight to the sand dunes at Great Yarmouth and let them off the lead. My daughter was with me and panicked in case they didn't come back. They did, eventually, but their time in quarantine had changed them completely.

Putting my dogs in quarantine is the cruelest thing I've ever done.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG

I brought two dogs to Spain 20 years ago, after some incredible hassle back in the UK to get everything ready. The idiots at Dover were a nightmare as usual. Once we landed at Calais, no official bothered about two dogs in the car.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to return to the UK with the dogs a year later. We landed at Harwich and the nightmare began. After all the other vehicles had left the ferry, two men in a white van and white coats arrived to take away our precious dogs to put them in quarantine for six months.

I followed the white van to the quarantine kennels in Norfolk and rented a house near to the kennels to be near to my dogs. I couldn't visit for the first three weeks, during which time I purchased large jemmies and masks.

As soon as I could visit, I did. It broke my heart to see them banged up and segregated, although the kennels were decent, though horribly expensive. A week later I was ready to spring them, but a wise friend advised me that a photograph on the front of the Sun showing two black Standard Poodles, suspected of having brought rabies to the sceptered isle, would leave me with no place to hide.

I finally got them out six long months later and took them straight to the sand dunes at Great Yarmouth and let them off the lead. My daughter was with me and panicked in case they didn't come back. They did, eventually, but their time in quarantine had changed them completely.

Good Man!
You did bring them back with you at great cost and not abandon them. I admire you for that.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:22 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
Good Man!
You did bring them back with you at great cost and not abandon them. I admire you for that.
Thank you. I'm a simple man who divides the world in two; people who love animals and people who don't.

I avoid the latter, and I've yet to be proved wrong.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by HBG
Thank you. I'm a simple man who divides the world in two; people who love animals and people who don't.

I avoid the latter, and I've yet to be proved wrong.
I only have to look into their eyes!
Mine was rescued by my daughter. He was hard work and I was helping.
She got tired of him! now he is mine!
I love dogs but never wanted to own one because I was a farmers daughter.
I believe he should have more freedom than I can offer him. Hey ho his life with me is better than back to RSPCA. He has adapted and gets lots of love!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 9:23 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I remember a day back in London when I came home from work and found my girlfriend and my daughter waiting anxiously as I walked into the house. The object of their anxiety was immediately apparent, a Doberman sitting in front of me, looking anxious too.

I already had a Chow Chow and a cat called Sid, which explained everyone's anxiety. I patted the Dhobe and Sid came up to sniff him, while the Chow ignored ignored everyone, as was his way.

I've just been out on my terrace in this ridiculously hot country, the Doberman can't even be bothered to bark at passers by, the Maltese Terrier has got fed up chasing the rats, and my wife has just screamed because of a mouse running from the kitchen into the living room.

Am I bothered? Not as long as the Cucas stay away.
Old Aug 27th 2010, 10:36 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG

In what way had they changed ?
Did they ever get back to anything like normal ?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 7:51 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
In what way had they changed ?
Did they ever get back to anything like normal ?
It's hard to explain, because the signs were not obvious. They had never been aggressive dogs, but now showed minor signs of aggression when coming into contact with other dogs. Mainly, they didn't look for affection and were content to stay away from human contact.

I took them to several vets and they analysed mild depression caused by their time in quarantine.

I still haven't explained that properly – I got the impression that the dogs didn't trust me any more.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

I can so much sympathise with that. We had brother and sister dog and he died of leismaniasis lying next to his sister, and from being outgoing and fun she has become a dog who doesn't need much human contact. I thought she blamed us for letting him die (although I'm sure she didn't understand the concept of death) She never lifted her tail for a year, and sat at the top of the field scanning the horizon for him almost every night. We now have her grandson who is a gentleman, as was his Uncle Figo, and she has moments of happiness, but never wakes up "full of the joys" as she used to. They are a breed with Poodle in their ancestry and people who have had botds say they are similar. Have you got poodles now?
Old Aug 28th 2010, 9:45 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anna58
I can so much sympathise with that. We had brother and sister dog and he died of leismaniasis lying next to his sister, and from being outgoing and fun she has become a dog who doesn't need much human contact. I thought she blamed us for letting him die (although I'm sure she didn't understand the concept of death) She never lifted her tail for a year, and sat at the top of the field scanning the horizon for him almost every night. We now have her grandson who is a gentleman, as was his Uncle Figo, and she has moments of happiness, but never wakes up "full of the joys" as she used to. They are a breed with Poodle in their ancestry and people who have had botds say they are similar. Have you got poodles now?
No, I've got a Doberman and a Bichon Maltes ( a kind of Maltese terrier).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.