Swimming pools

Old Mar 12th 2015, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Swimming pools

Good morning all,
Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost of running a pool? This would be for an average sized one, or is it down to the landlord?.This would be for a long let villa. I just would like an idea as to the cost to me.
Thanks.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Swimming pools

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Good morning all,
Can anyone give me an idea as to the cost of running a pool? This would be for an average sized one, or is it down to the landlord?.This would be for a long let villa. I just would like an idea as to the cost to me.
Thanks.
What size do you mean with average? There are many factors to consider and it depends on the location. How long would it be heated, is it covered, what kind of heat pump is being used etc.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 10:39 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
Good morning all,
Thanks.
If it's a standard outdoor pool with no additional heating then all you really have to pay for are the chemicals and your time (yes, it's down to you and not the landlord).

For an 8m x 5m pool, I would suspect the following costs;
  • Chlorine - 17€ (we get ours from the local Co-Op)
  • 4 in 1 tablets - about 30€ per tub and we go through 2 or 3 in a season

You obviously could pay more but that's probably about it.

You then have the electricity costs for the pump. We run ours for about 3 hours per day during the season. Some will tell you to run it a lot more but we find that there's no need and our pool stays sparkling clean with average usage.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Ph + and -
Flocculante tablet, for occasional use
Algecida
Pure Chlorine tablets, not the multiuse ones as they only contain very little of each ingredient
Shock chlorine for occasional use
Don't know how you only use 2 or 3 a season, we use a lot more than that
Pool pump- 2 hours pm/am May - Sept
1 hour am/pm Oct-April
Old Mar 12th 2015, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that info.That's another one of my list.
Cheers.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
Ph + and -
Flocculante tablet, for occasional use
Algecida
Pure Chlorine tablets, not the multiuse ones as they only contain very little of each ingredient
Shock chlorine for occasional use
Don't know how you only use 2 or 3 a season, we use a lot more than that
Pool pump- 2 hours pm/am May - Sept
1 hour am/pm Oct-April
If you use 4 in 1 or 5 in 1 (quality) tablets - not the cheap ones from supermarkets, then you don't need any of the above.

If the pool goes wrong, then you may need to shock it.

Once the tablets are almost dissolved, we replenish them. A good pool will only use the number of tablets it needs.

Maybe the summer cover helps?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 1:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If you use 4 in 1 or 5 in 1 (quality) tablets - not the cheap ones from supermarkets, then you don't need any of the above.

If the pool goes wrong, then you may need to shock it.

Once the tablets are almost dissolved, we replenish them. A good pool will only use the number of tablets it needs.

Maybe the summer cover helps?
How on earth can I tablet have sufficient of the algicide, flocculante and chlorine, in it never mind where they come from?
How can you tell one is better quality than the other?
A pool expert has said that a chlorine tablet and occasional use of the other chemicals gives a better result and added that multi tablets are often to blame for staining in pools.
In the summer it is necessary to renew tablets every week, cannot understand how only 2 or 3 are need for your pool over the season!
Old Mar 12th 2015, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Is that not 2 or 3 tubs ?
Old Mar 12th 2015, 3:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Neptuno
How on earth can I tablet have sufficient of the algicide, flocculante and chlorine, in it never mind where they come from?
How can you tell one is better quality than the other?
A pool expert has said that a chlorine tablet and occasional use of the other chemicals gives a better result and added that multi tablets are often to blame for staining in pools.
In the summer it is necessary to renew tablets every week, cannot understand how only 2 or 3 are need for your pool over the season!
.... doh!

As Lyric pointed out, we are talking about 2 or 3 tubs of course (note I said they cost around 30€).

Our pool man says that there are differing qualities (and I don't buy them from him - so it isn't as though he's trying to sell his own). Yes you can faff with 4 or 5 different chemicals or simply use the 4 or 5 in 1's.

By the way, you don't renew them but replenish them
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Silly me! Anyway, I pay 21 euros maximum,can sometimes get them for 17 euros per tub.
Old Mar 12th 2015, 5:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

I pay 18€ at my local Ferreteria for a tub. My pool seems to use two one week and three the next in the summer, and once stable just needs the occasional shot of Aqua Fuerte to bring the Ph down.
Early in the season it might need a shock or two.