Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Moving to Benidorm

Moving to Benidorm

Old Mar 7th 2015, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Keonistevens is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Benidorm

I'm just looking for information about moving to Benidorm and finding work and accommodation I've been thinking of moving for about 6 months and read quite heavily about people stories. I'm 21 and want to move over in September October so I can at least have about 4 month rent and money for bills, groceries. I'm happy to hear all your replies and thanks in advance
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:39 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Benidorm

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Mar 8th 2015, 8:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keonistevens
I'm just looking for information about moving to Benidorm and finding work and accommodation I've been thinking of moving for about 6 months and read quite heavily about people stories. I'm 21 and want to move over in September October so I can at least have about 4 month rent and money for bills, groceries. I'm happy to hear all your replies and thanks in advance
You will need to think carefully about this, you will be moving there in the off season where there will be very little work available, many of the bars and restaurants will either have closed for the winter or got rid of most of their staff due to the lack of tourists. You will have to factor in the cost of healthcare as few UK insurers will cover you for that length of time and the EHIC is really for emergencies only. Accomodation will be easy as there will be so few tourists there so you should be able to get a good rate.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

I thought about the employment part of it and I was thinking that if I go September October it might be hard to find a job but it would be easier (if I find a job) to get a job that would be full time and for a long time unlike getting the job in the summer then getting released at the end of the season if that makes any sense
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

With sky high unemployment in Spain your chances could be minimal
Old Mar 8th 2015, 12:30 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I thought about the employment part of it and I was thinking that if I go September October it might be hard to find a job but it would be easier (if I find a job) to get a job that would be full time and for a long time unlike getting the job in the summer then getting released at the end of the season if that makes any sense
How fluent are you in Spanish, remember you will be fighting for jobs with all the Spanish young people that have just returned from their summer jobs in the UK, all the hotels round here rely on Spanish workers to fill the summer posts that seem to be beneath British job seekers.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

I'll take any job housekeeping bar staff waiteresing everything and anything that I know I can do. And I'm looking to find out if Spain is right for me as I've found a Spanish course that I'd do before I come over
Old Mar 8th 2015, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Become waiter not waitress*
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:49 pm
Concierge

I'll take any job housekeeping bar staff waiteresing everything and anything that I know I can do. And I'm looking to find out if Spain is right for me as I've found a Spanish course that I'd do before I come over
Those are the types of job that will be in the shortest supply, and the highest demand out of season. The time you are looking at moving is the worse possible time for finding that type of job.
Old Mar 8th 2015, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

When would be the best time to move and find a full time job for well over the summer season into winter and so on? What jobs are better and more of in benidorm?
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

When would be the best time to move and find a full time job for well over the summer season into winter and so on? What jobs are better and more of in benidorm?
The unemployment rate is over 50% for people your age in Spain, and that is for people who are fluent in Spanish

You would have to be very lucky or be able to offer something that few other people have
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Why Benidorm and have you worked in hospitality before? During the season there might be jobs available. You would still need qualifications, unless it's some Brit bar owner who is struggling to find staff. Even when you get a job, can you manage on a low wage. It's like being unemployed in the UK, only that you have to work and I doubt that Benidorm tourists would be generous with tips.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:45 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't matter if you would do anything, as the others have said there just is no work.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 10:48 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, why Benidorm of all places?

I don't know much about the cost of living there, but if it's like any other British expat community, it's likely to be double or more than non-expat communities. No doubt there are many more favourable choices - at least from an economical perspective.

It comes down to money. If you don't have any, you'd be far better off in the UK. Benidorm will only make it worse.
Old Mar 9th 2015, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Yes, why Benidorm of all places?

I don't know much about the cost of living there, but if it's like any other British expat community, it's likely to be double or more than non-expat communities. No doubt there are many more favourable choices - at least from an economical perspective.

It comes down to money. If you don't have any, you'd be far better off in the UK. Benidorm will only make it worse.
There are a few ugly spots in Spain, but I think Benidorm tops the list. It's been a few years ago, but I doubt they knocked down the skyscrapers. Anyone know if they ever completed this building, it says 2014?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intempo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.