Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

swimming pool filling

swimming pool filling

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

hallega is an unknown quantity at this point
Default swimming pool filling

Has anyone any ideas on the best way to fill a pool, I understand that you can get tankers and maybe the possibility of getting a refund from the local council for doing it this way? nerja area. Thank you
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 6:50 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: swimming pool filling

Why can't you just turn the tap on?

Tankers will cost a bomb.

I have friends in Nerja who just fill from a hose.

There is no water shortage now!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 7:48 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

So whats it cost to fill a decent sized pool from the tap at domestic water prices?
I don't use mine,but a friend told me its quite expensive,a few hundred euros or more.
Most of my neighbours are Spanish, and they have all sorts of weird and wonderful Heath Robinson devices to capture every drop of rain possible from roofs,terraces and elsewhere and diivert it into their pools for either gardens or swimming.....very rarely if ever do they use a tap for their pools.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

Mine is empty, we've only just purchased the house.
I have no idea of the cost of water, although in the UK we're on metered water. Just turning on the tap doesn't sit well with us, after 23 years turning on the tap, wetting your toothbrush and turning it off again to save money, so I am no stranger to metered water.

I would have tried to capture the rain but the pool needed grouting first, this is now finished.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

an 8m x 4m pool with avg depth of 1 m holds c 60 m3 or 60,000 litres. Round here a m3 of water is 1e, so for me its 60e.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poolboy
an 8m x 4m pool with avg depth of 1 m holds c 60 m3 or 60,000 litres. Round here a m3 of water is 1e, so for me its 60e.
So a 10m by 5m with a depth of 2m would be pushing towards 200e at your prices.
I was told quite a bit more round here, but never bothered working it out.
Will have to check on the prices.
I think what is considered reasonable domestic consumption is reasonably priced,but go over top of that and I think the price per litre approx.doubles in this region,so possibly it could be quite a bit more,especially if there is a big garden to water,pushing it over the basic limits.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold

yes check your water bill - a m3 of mains water is actually 50 c per m3 but there is a 50c per m3 sewage element too, charged on the basis of what goes in goes out. Irrigation systems are charged sewage rates regardless.

I look at the weather forecast before I start filling pools!
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 9:20 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James

... I'm surprised at you Fred. Using the tap to fill a pool is illegal and you can get into serious trouble (or so I'm told by Spanish friends).

Apparantly you have to fill by using the large tankers. I'm also told that this is considerably cheaper than from the tap (Not sure how it can be though!)
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:39 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... I'm surprised at you Fred. Using the tap to fill a pool is illegal and you can get into serious trouble (or so I'm told by Spanish friends).

Apparantly you have to fill by using the large tankers. I'm also told that this is considerably cheaper than from the tap (Not sure how it can be though!)
That may have been true last year in some areas when there was an official drought declared and restrictions put in place but those restrictions have now been lifted - (well they certainly have down here in the south).

The cost varies from place to place. A good average is €1 per cubic metre but I know people on urbanisations where the water cost is included in the urb fees.

I know others that are on a sliding scale of water usage and they pay €7 a metre when they fill their pool!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Well thank you everyone for your thoughts.

I think I'll possibly go down the route of tankers (when I find out how much).
We had a 20,000 litre pool here in the UK, it took three days to fill using mine, and either side next door neighbours hose pipes......

(I suppose I could use next doors supply whilst they are away......ONLY KIDDING!
Old Apr 24th 2010, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: swimming pool filling

yes check your water bill - a m3 of mains water is actually 50 c per m3 but there is a 50c per m3 sewage element too, charged on the basis of what goes in goes out. Irrigation systems are charged sewage rates regardless.

My pool is 14m x 5m x 1.5m = 105cm. It took the builder a week to fill it using a 25mm (about 2x the normal garden hose) hosepipe last year. It is not yet on metered supply.

The builder tells me that we should have two meters one for domestic supply and one for garden and pool this would be cheaper than just one supply.

The reason may be that here in Huelva province (which does not seem to have dramatic water shortages) they do not charge the sewage element on non-domestic supply.

Incidently here in UK they adopt the same regime but only charge 90% of the input as output so to speak. The odd thing is if you have a septic tank as rual locations do they still want to charge you the 90% since they contend that your grey water finds its way to their water courses.

This whole thing is something I shall have to investigate carfully now that we have got the dual meter electricity on track and before we come off builders supply for water.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Apr 24th 2010 at 11:39 am.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I would say Pool Boy is spot on with his 60€ estimate from my experience the last time I filled it. I have never heard it is illegal to fill from the tap and all the villas around me onlyeverfill from the tap.

I have heard it is illegal to use a hose on the car and is frowned upon to waste water hosing down a terrace. But doubtless it varies according to region and town hall and of course current water supply situation (which surely at the moment can't be bad!)

To rely on normal rain fall levels in the costa blanca region would frankly be ridiculous.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 6:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Talking of pools just read this blog

http://blogs.timspain.com/
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:04 am
Just Joined

ukdobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Just had 1400 euro stopped out of my account by Aqugest Levante for my so called water bill Dec to March,builders have checked the villa and find nothing wrong water board say there's nothing wrong with their meter even though the water has been turned off as no ones stopped there as its a new build,going out in 2 weeks hopefully to sort,even asked builders jokingly if they had filled the communial pool from my tap.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukdobby
Just had 1400 euro stopped out of my account by Aqugest Levante for my so called water bill Dec to March,builders have checked the villa and find nothing wrong water board say there's nothing wrong with their meter even though the water has been turned off as no ones stopped there as its a new build,going out in 2 weeks hopefully to sort,even asked builders jokingly if they had filled the communial pool from my tap.
You may find you have paid the tempory builders supply bill too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.