Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The SUN is finally out.................

The SUN is finally out.................

Old Apr 1st 2007, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The SUN is finally out.................

Martha,
You're definitely not alone feeling so cold indoors!
Last week I was wearing three jumpers and two pairs of socks......AND a pair of gloves to type!!

We haven't got any outdoor space in our rented house, and apart from going for walks with the dog, I sometimes have to go and sit in the Plaza just to warm up!!
However, as my O/H says, I'll soon be moaning that it's too hot in the summer!

Do you think it's been colder this March, than it was last year??
Maybe it's just because we've been here a year now? Last March we were walking round wearing T.shirts, and now we're still wearing sweatshirts, and sometimes a fleece!

I've been out walking today (24km!) and we got caught in really heavy rain during the first half an hour (soaked!)
There was snow on the Sierra, and by the afternoon we were stripped down to T.shirts and walking in the sun. Weird!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:04 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisca
Martha,
You're definitely not alone feeling so cold indoors!
Last week I was wearing three jumpers and two pairs of socks......AND a pair of gloves to type!!

We haven't got any outdoor space in our rented house, and apart from going for walks with the dog, I sometimes have to go and sit in the Plaza just to warm up!!
However, as my O/H says, I'll soon be moaning that it's too hot in the summer!

Do you think it's been colder this March, than it was last year??
Maybe it's just because we've been here a year now? Last March we were walking round wearing T.shirts, and now we're still wearing sweatshirts, and sometimes a fleece!

I've been out walking today (24km!) and we got caught in really heavy rain during the first half an hour (soaked!)
There was snow on the Sierra, and by the afternoon we were stripped down to T.shirts and walking in the sun. Weird!
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I think you've just aclimatised and feel the cold more now than when you originally came over from the UK. Happens to everyone! That's why you see the tourists wearing clothes that we reserve only for July and August and we're still wearing sweaters, jumpers and socks.

I remember Michael used to sleep in the "raw" in the UK and I told him that he could forget about that living in a Med country during the winter. He laughed at me then.....he doesn't anymore. Although he still refuses to wear anything, when he gets into bed you can hear a very loud groan when his body hits the sheets *lol*

It hasn't rained here at all today, but it was windy in the morning. I knew I should've put some washing in!

By the way, I always moan about the heat too *lol*.....and anyway tell your OH that it's a Spanish custom to moan about the weather

Last edited by MnM; Apr 1st 2007 at 9:21 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Probably a stupid question but.....
In the real old days before any indoor heating existed other than the fire one cooked on, the castle dwellers used to hang heavy tapestry's on the walls.
Not as cutrains you understand but as a thermal barrier.
It just stuck me, I wonder if that trick would still work?

I know it's stupid but it's a worthy talking point...isn't it?
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MnM
I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I think you've just aclimatised and feel the cold more now than when you originally came over from the UK. Happens to everyone! That's why you see the tourists wearing clothes that we reserve only for July and August and we're still wearing sweaters, jumpers and socks.

I remember Michael used to sleep in the "raw" in the UK and I told him that he could forget about that living in a Med country during the winter. He laughed at me then.....he doesn't anymore. Although he still refuses to wear anything, when he gets into bed you can hear a very loud groan when his body hits the sheets *lol*

It hasn't rained her at all today, but it was windy in the morning. I knew I should've put some washing in!By the way, I always moan about the heat too *lol*.....and anyway tell your OH that it's a Spanish custom to moan about the weather
How true Martha..

all I hear when walking round the village is ohh much frio...or..ohhh mucho calor, coming from all the old timers..!

I think one of the coldest times of my life was when we were searching for our ideal Spain and we stayed in a ranch in the mountains outside Granada, February, Terracotta floor tiles, no rugs, high ceilings, no heating, damp beds...no PJs (Whaaaaaaat are they all about !)thank you lord for Cognac..it took me a week to thaw out....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:20 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective
In the real old days before any indoor heating existed other than the fire one cooked on, the castle dwellers used to hang heavy tapestry's on the walls.

I think it's a very valid point and interesting observation.

I know for a fact that my grandmother in Greece had the most beautiful tapestries on her walls.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheArmChairDetective

Is that why they invented flock wallpaper ? lol
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

Also on my house hunts came across many of the old round tables with the built in metal basins under the top, these would be filled up with embers then everyone would sit around the table which had a heavy tablecloth on and tuck themselves in..usually in the smallest room with no windows....now they new how to enjoy themselves..the art of conversation was alive and well..
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

I can identify with Michael's reluctance to make contact with the sheets!
We've still got flanelette sheets on the bed
I was using my hot water bottle up until Friday (when Mr brisca returned home) so now it's his job to warm my side of the bed up, and to keep me warm!!

You're so right about the Spanish obsession with talking about the weather! I though we Brits were bad enough, but I really think the Spaniards discuss the weather even more!

Here are a few photos from today's trek. We had to eat "elevenses" in the hut (which was knee deep in straw!) because we were absolutely soaked!
There were plenty of jokes about snakes and mice
Attached Thumbnails The SUN is finally out.................-casa-del-castanas-1.4.07-002.jpg   The SUN is finally out.................-casa-del-castanas-1.4.07-025.jpg   The SUN is finally out.................-casa-del-castanas-1.4.07-041.jpg  
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

youre thinking of pubs/inns
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Also on my house hunts came across many of the old round tables with the built in metal basins under the top, these would be filled up with embers then everyone would sit around the table which had a heavy tablecloth on and tuck themselves in..usually in the smallest room with no windows....now they new how to enjoy themselves..the art of conversation was alive and well..

These "braseros" are in almost all the houses in our village! (Although some of them are electric now)
They're great (and really cosy) if all you want to do is sit around the table - but boy do you notice the difference when you have to move away
I visit our elderly neighbour every couple of days, and it's lovely sitting at the brasero listening to her tales of village life over the past 80 years
However, sometimes it's just too cosy.......and I can feel myself nodding off very occasionally!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Great Piccys Brisca...but where's the Sol.....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bigbhudda69
Great Piccys Brisca...but where's the Sol.....
Peeking through the cherry blossom!!
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:25 pm
Livin' in Spain at last!

chrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond reputechrisw has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The SUN is finally out.................

Peeking through the cherry blossom!!
Hi Sam! Pics were great, and if you are wondering were that big bright thing in the sky was, we borrowed it this week end! it was on loan to Swanse! It has been realy bright today, but still a chill and quite windy. We have been out in the garden repairing the lawn ( Josh's fault!), but it looks a lot better now.
The cherry blossom in your photo was lovely, isn't it great to see nature beginning to come to life again? Hope you enjoyed your trek despite the soaking!
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 6:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The SUN is finally out.................

Here are a few photos from today's trek. We had to eat "elevenses" in the hut (which was knee deep in straw!) because we were absolutely soaked!
There were plenty of jokes about snakes and mice
Hi Brisca,

We have not corresponded before but I always read your posts with great interest and have noted you are from Extramadura which is north of where we want to be in Huelva so I wondered if the river in your middle photo was the river Guadiana?

The last time I visited a shepherd hut was in the hills in Cyprus and I slept overnight. It was not snakes or mice but ticks from the goats which got us and that was very annoying for days afterwards!

Regards,

John.
</IMG></IMG>
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:59 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thunderstorms and rain here this morning. Aaaah

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.