Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Strange sand fallen overnight.

Strange sand fallen overnight.

Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:32 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Strange sand fallen overnight.

The Olive trees cause pollen allergies. In some pueblos in Jaén the schoolchildren wear masks as it is so heavy.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 11:46 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a microscope, take a small dish of water and sprinkle a tiny pinch of pollen on the surface, and then focus on that layer. At a high magnification you will see the tiny grains dancing on the surface, and this is supposed to be caused by the impact of the water molecules as they vibrate.

It's called Brownian Motion.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
The Olive trees cause pollen allergies. In some pueblos in Jaén the schoolchildren wear masks as it is so heavy.
I spent a couple of years in Córdoba and the olive trees were blamed for a high number of allergies there. For 3 or 4 weeks in April/May it was like having flu symptoms. Antihistamines did nothing. I'd say that around a third of those I knew suffered and yes, many wore masks.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

The amount of dust around us is incredible.

Everything is covered and you cannot sweep it away.

Anything we touch outside leaves us covered in it.

We knocked the branches of a pine tree in our garden and a big mist of yellow came out from the millions of baby pine cones.

OH has almost lost his voice now.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 7:45 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachelk
I spent a couple of years in Córdoba and the olive trees were blamed for a high number of allergies there. For 3 or 4 weeks in April/May it was like having flu symptoms. Antihistamines did nothing. I'd say that around a third of those I knew suffered and yes, many wore masks.
According to most of the Spanish I know and from my own experience, olives cause the most severe problems of all.
The pine pollen is much more visible and also causes reactions however just when you think you've weathered the storm then you get hit by the olives.
Double Whammy,I suppose,though there are plenty of others, depending on location.